Sponsored by:

New Member here, looking to get a used 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Boy, the above posts familiar.

I recommend buying a new 991.2 with axle lift. Oh, and don't do what I did and forget the SPASM.

It all comes down to how much of a hump you will have to cross. Going slow at an angle will help, but is not always possible.

Even with a base car you will most likely come to places it would be best to steer clear of.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

^ exactly.

Axle Lift FTW and SPASM FTW!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Stil_1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gusp
Why specifically no power steering plus? It only kicks in at very low speed, like when pulling out of a tight parking space.
I tried a car with power steering plus and didn't like the lightness of the feel. I didn't feel the transition from kicked in to off was as seamless as I would have liked too.

Originally Posted by oalvarez
OP, i'll save you the reading....while helpful the advice above isn't entirely accurate nor true. not everyone's roads, conditions, entry ways are the same. it all depends on your day to day instances, just know that it could happen, frequency not determined.

as for searching out your car, get acquainted with Google, AutoTrader, Cars.com, RL, Pelican, PCA, Hemmings, etc. post a "want to buy" ad here at RL or other sites. the hunt is part of the fun.

best success,
Thanks for the info. I'm a bit torn since I was considering a Cayman GTS or a used 991 4S. There are some resources I didn't see before, so I'll check those out too.

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
Boy, the above posts familiar.

I recommend buying a new 991.2 with axle lift. Oh, and don't do what I did and forget the SPASM.

It all comes down to how much of a hump you will have to cross. Going slow at an angle will help, but is not always possible.

Even with a base car you will most likely come to places it would be best to steer clear of.
It's mostly my driveway that's about a 4 inch curb driveway. in my current car, I basically go parallel along the sidewalk and turn into it. Coming out I back out of the garage and do a wide turn. Haven't scraped, but that car is not that low. any scrape I usually do on the rubber dam.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:44 AM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stil_1
It's mostly my driveway that's about a 4 inch curb driveway. in my current car, I basically go parallel along the sidewalk and turn into it. Coming out I back out of the garage and do a wide turn. Haven't scraped, but that car is not that low. any scrape I usually do on the rubber dam.
Measure your car on flat ground. Then measure the closest it gets to the driveway.

Do a couple of searches on the forum. I have seen a few threads asking "how much clearance do you have on your 911?" If only the front spoiler scrapes then it not a huge deal as I understand it they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. Also it will scrape a little less each time.

Sounds like you may need to look for a non PASM car, pass on a 991 or buy that new expensive 991.2 with axle lift. I realize it is probaly out of you price range from the original post you made. But going with just (and you have to in a .2) PASM 10mm lower the axle lift brings it up 40 mm or 1.57 inches. That would be 30mm higher than a non PASM car
Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 AM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
Measure your car on flat ground. Then measure the closest it gets to the driveway.

Do a couple of searches on the forum. I have seen a few threads asking "how much clearance do you have on your 911?" If only the front spoiler scrapes then it not a huge deal as I understand it they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. Also it will scrape a little less each time.

Sounds like you may need to look for a non PASM car, pass on a 991 or buy that new expensive 991.2 with axle lift. I realize it is probaly out of you price range from the original post you made. But going with just (and you have to in a .2) PASM 10mm lower the axle lift brings it up 40 mm or 1.57 inches. That would be 30mm higher than a non PASM car
I think I will go to a dealer and do some measurements compared to my car. I know there are ground clearance posted, but want to measure the side of front wheel. My guess is I shouldn't go for the Aero kit on the front and stick with the plastic lip.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Hmm I found one that has the following options:

2013 4S with 34k miles $75k

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
ParkAssist (rear)
Sport Chrono Package
Electric sunroof
Power Steering Plus
SportDesign steering wheel
Two-tone leather interior
911 Carrera 4S
BL
Leather interior in Black/ Luxor Beige
P06
Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P37
BOSE
P3E
Premium Package Plus
UN1
Online Services
XSC
Porsche Crest on headrests
XUV
Storage compartment lid with model logotype
Z4
Basalt Black Metallic
ZAB
Ornamental Porsche Crest

Warranty lasts until June 2017.

What do you guys think about one with this high of mileage?

I would be looking into getting a PSE installed and removal of Power Steering Plus if I decided on this.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm I found one that has the following options:

2013 4S with 34k miles $75k

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
ParkAssist (rear)
Sport Chrono Package
Electric sunroof
Power Steering Plus
SportDesign steering wheel
Two-tone leather interior
911 Carrera 4S
BL
Leather interior in Black/ Luxor Beige
P06
Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P37
BOSE
P3E
Premium Package Plus
UN1
Online Services
XSC
Porsche Crest on headrests
XUV
Storage compartment lid with model logotype
Z4
Basalt Black Metallic
ZAB
Ornamental Porsche Crest

Warranty lasts until June 2017.

What do you guys think about one with this high of mileage?

I would be looking into getting a PSE installed and removal of Power Steering Plus if I decided on this.
I don't have much experience in the way of used 991s, but my gut feeling on this is:

1) man, that's a lot of miles for a barely 3 yr old car... was it a lease? Did the previous owner feel compelled to "get every mile out of the car" before turning it in?

2) unless it's in a color you want or has an option(s) you must have, I'd probably continue looking elsewhere...

My $0.02...
Old 03-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Thanks that was my gut as well. I was just seeing if others had an opinion on the miles.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:36 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drsubie
I don't have much experience in the way of used 991s, but my gut feeling on this is:

1) man, that's a lot of miles for a barely 3 yr old car... was it a lease? Did the previous owner feel compelled to "get every mile out of the car" before turning it in?

2) unless it's in a color you want or has an option(s) you must have, I'd probably continue looking elsewhere...

My $0.02...
Check the in service date. 10k-12k per year if a daily driver isn't a big deal. Our 2012.5 991 C2s cab had 28k when I bought it in 12/15 and 36k when I "binned it" in 9/15. It was CPO'd through 4/18 and there was nothing wrong with the car. It had been driven and maintained. I benefitted from a lower buy price for me. If you drive these cars year around like here in the Northwest and it's a daily driver 10k-12k is nothing and does no harm to the car.

To the OP - you might want to move to STG991s Hot For Sale pinned thread. It's all about the hunt for used 991s with a very knowledgeable and large readership - over 300k views in only one year!

We'll talk soon!
Gordon
Old 03-30-2016, 03:06 AM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Check the in service date. 10k-12k per year if a daily driver isn't a big deal. Our 2012.5 991 C2s cab had 28k when I bought it in 12/15 and 36k when I "binned it" in 9/15. It was CPO'd through 4/18 and there was nothing wrong with the car. It had been driven and maintained. I benefitted from a lower buy price for me. If you drive these cars year around like here in the Northwest and it's a daily driver 10k-12k is nothing and does no harm to the car.

To the OP - you might want to move to STG991s Hot For Sale pinned thread. It's all about the hunt for used 991s with a very knowledgeable and large readership - over 300k views in only one year!

We'll talk soon!
Gordon
Thanks, I'll look there too.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:29 AM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Avoid power steering plus if you can, as mentioned above, steering feels too light at times but it can be helpful if you do a lot of city driving like me.

I recently picked up a 2012.5 991 C2S with 23k miles on the clock, I test drove a similarly equipped model with a manual, I liked it but the PDK w/ Sport Chrono felt better to me, ended up with a PDK
I've only owned 2 manual cars in my life, a 16' WRX and a 01' Golf but I can tell you that the PDK is far superior to any DCT in BMWs, they tend to be clunky at low speeds while this PDK feels smooth.

Best of luck with the hunt! To be honest, even if you end up with a base Carrera, you'll love it!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:15 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just have had my car for days and not much previous experience with 991s, but I can tell you that, at least for me and in my 4S with power steering plus, the steering feels more on the "heavy" side.

OP says he is looking for a 4S, so...
Old 03-30-2016, 11:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks, I'll look there too.
Look for some nice listings there. Keep the major discussion here. You're on 3 pages already. Can't have this lengthy of a discussion in hot for sale about one specific buyers journey.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2016, 12:05 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wsjchoi
Avoid power steering plus if you can, as mentioned above, steering feels too light at times but it can be helpful if you do a lot of city driving like me.

I recently picked up a 2012.5 991 C2S with 23k miles on the clock, I test drove a similarly equipped model with a manual, I liked it but the PDK w/ Sport Chrono felt better to me, ended up with a PDK
I've only owned 2 manual cars in my life, a 16' WRX and a 01' Golf but I can tell you that the PDK is far superior to any DCT in BMWs, they tend to be clunky at low speeds while this PDK feels smooth.

Best of luck with the hunt! To be honest, even if you end up with a base Carrera, you'll love it!
Power steering plus is only a software upgrade. It can be removed or installed. Don't pass on a good car for that reason.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:10 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO spasm is overkill. It rides too rough. I recommend driving a car with spasm before you put that on your wish list. Much like Chris Harris seems to always think, I prefer the car with pasm but not even in the stiffer mode. Suspension seems to function better in the softer mode.

Quick Reply: New Member here, looking to get a used 991