Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 01:57 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Today we bombed the Goddard Pass as we drove to Zurich. The only thing better than driving the pass is driving it twice. And the only thing better than driving it twice is with a properly broken-in 3.8L engine and with the targa top down. Pure music.

Some shots of The Baron before we enter the tunnel from the South side.

We hit 1,000 miles within the Goddard Tunnel which struck us as incredibly poetic. Even caught it on video thanks to my lovely co-pilot.

It was neat to become reacquainted with Switzerland's glaciers and snow-capped mountains in the height of Summer.

At Urner Sea we pulled over to take all the beauty in. Simply incredible. This is the most striking lake on the pass. We also let Baby Bash continue to sleep in the back while we snuck a selfie. The little guy slept from Lake Lugano straight through to Zurich.

An hour out of Zurich we crossed paths with a new GT3. We played tag the entire time and bonded. Currently in Zurich with the Targa safely parked.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Still loving the pics David! Almost feels like we're there

Old 08-09-2016, 02:22 PM
PHL911AWE
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great posts Torque Chap! Cant' wait to see this baby stateside. I got back from Paris on Sunday. Let's meet up when you get back!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Today we bombed the Goddard Pass as we drove to Zurich. The only thing better than driving the pass is driving it twice. And the only thing better than driving it twice is with a properly broken-in 3.8L engine and with the targa top down. Pure music.

Some shots of The Baron before we enter the tunnel from the South side.

An hour out of Zurich we crossed paths with a new GT3. We played tag the entire time and bonded. Currently in Zurich with the Targa safely parked.
Great that you are having such a blast. Really the best way to enjoy a brand new Porsche. Very jealous!
Jeff
Old 08-14-2016, 11:29 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JCBH
Great that you are having such a blast. Really the best way to enjoy a brand new Porsche. Very jealous! Jeff
Thanks Jeff, Xpel and PHL911AWE. It was an awesome experience and I feel blessed for being able to have done it with my wife and baby.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

On our last day with the car, I bid a brief ado to my wife and baby to drive The Blue Baron from Zurich to Sindelfingen. (Factory drop off is currently offsite for the moment due to construction in Stuttgart.) The weather was perfect for such a run.

While there are unrestricted roads once I crossed into Germany, traffic didn't permit speeds over 125mph. However, I did get to cruise at triple digit speeds for nearly 45 minutes so zero complaints. Porsche's exporter, Salvador, is a gracious and experienced professional. The car was deposited, the spare key handed over and the Euro plates pulled as souvenirs. We talked about cars and motorcycles while the requisite paperwork was being filled out in his office.

Below is a shot right after I pulled the Euro plates in Sindelfingen.

I grabbed a taxi to the train station and reunited with my family in Zurich. That evening we had drinks at a former science observatory-turned bar with a college friend who teaches at the University. Hadn't seen him in 20 years and it was fantastic to catch up.

The next day we flew 8.5 hours back to the States. Baby Bash was the perfect traveler, much to the amazement (relief?) of our fellow fliers in Business Class. Several folks actually complimented my wife and I for having such a well-behaved baby.

Euro Delivery was an incredible experience. Driving highlights included crossing the Swiss-Italian Alps and cruising the French Riviera. To do so with my new family made things all the more special.

The Blue Baron should arrive stateside in early September. Hopefully, we'll just be returning from two weeks in Colombia. Stay tuned!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great Trip...Glad I went along for the ride!!!! Looking for interior photos...Want to see all the CXX options!
Old 08-27-2016, 05:11 PM
ccjin
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Like you 911Konigin, I can stare at Sapphire Blue all day long.

Not a single rattle Werks 1. But should it emerge, you're my Number 1 resource on how to troubleshoot and resolve

Potsnu, Schwabbenfolia would have required two more days to wrap the car. I wanted to use that time on the road. So the professional PPF was applied to the most vulnerable areas: full front, mirrors, doors, full A-pillar and lower rear quarters. I deftly wrapped the rest of the car so I could drive with greater confidence.

Sandro originally had the Targa scheduled for a flatbed pickup directly from the factory; however, we made friends during the factory tour that caused lunch to run way over schedule (but well worth it!), the vehicle introduction went way over schedule (ditto), and it took a little time to source a factory towel to protect the alcantara before installing a baby seat (ditto). These three factors collectively caused Plan B to be triggered which involved us driving the 10 minutes directly over to Schwabenfolia which, fortunately, occurred without incident. Dropping the car off personally gave me the added benefit of meeting the team and checking out the facility.

The protective measures proved to be fortuitous as we hit a massive storm heading into Milan. (The local news called it the worst storm in a decade.) Driving the car was easier knowing that PPF was properly in place
Hi Torquechap

schwabenfolia have a nice Gallery of your beauty ...... very tastefull combination
congrats

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8708146&type=3
Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ wow..... stunning doesn't even begin describe what this porsche is.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
^^ wow..... stunning doesn't even begin describe what this porsche is.
Thanks Bradley Scott! Much appreciated

Originally Posted by ccjin
Hi Torquechap schwabenfolia have a nice Gallery of your beauty ...... very tastefull combination congrats https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8708146&type=3
What a nice surprise ccjin. Thanks for the link. The photo series brings back wonderful memories of both dropping off and picking up The Blue Baron.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Here's a few pics of The Baron taken by Schwabenfolia.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:58 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks for this find! It great to see all of their photo galleries.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:43 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a few pics of The Baron taken by Schwabenfolia.
Gorgeous! Do you have pictures of the Baron's interior to hand? Wondering how the deviated stitching works with your color combination, and how you like it so far...
Old 08-28-2016, 05:29 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by planet
Gorgeous! Do you have pictures of the Baron's interior to hand? Wondering how the deviated stitching works with your color combination, and how you like it so far...
Thanks for the compliment Planet. I absolutely LOVE the deviated Rhodium Silver stitching. It's a nuanced design detail that will forever give me pleasure.

Like The Blue Baron's exterior, interior aesthetics are exclusive to the GTS Package but reimagined for a classic look. The sun visors and belt outlets are wrapped in Alcantara to match the seats, lower dash and headliner.

We then went wild on wrapping everything in extended leather with matching deviated Rhodium Silver stitching. Dash, air vents, fuse box, PCM display, rear seat tunnel, instrument surround, steering column casing, etc. I deliberately didn't wrap the seat backs because the grey plastic matches our chosen interior color theme so well and looks simply wicked through the rear window glass IMHO. Equally important, the seats on our PTS/LTS 993TT are leather wrapped and I wanted hard backs this time around for something different and a bit more sporting.

To compliment the roll hoop and factory-painted GT Silver CL wheels, I had Porsche's Custom Tailoring Department replace the carbon fiber trim with aluminum. (Normally, you can't get aluminum with the GTS Interior Package.) The illuminated door sills are in stainless steel to mirror the effect.

Last, but certainly not least, the Alcantara steering wheel has a factory 12 o'clock marker in yellow Alcantara. This is an homage to Porsche's RS cars and matches the PCCBs.

Note: Took these pics in a hurry when dropping off the car. Sorry for the dizzying visual presentation. Will fix when I'm back at my laptop.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:39 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the compliment Planet. I absolutely LOVE the deviated Rhodium Silver stitching. It's a nuanced design detail that will forever give me pleasure.
Thank you for the thoughtful response on your interior design choices and the photos! Looks great. With the Targa's roll bar, the choice of Rhodium thread makes a great deal of sense, and flows really nicely.

Quick Reply: The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build