Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

love it....the blue with the silver wheels and accents.....a nod back to yesteryear.....timeless.

nicely done!

congrats!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely "Stunning"........ Great job taking photos in front of the museum!

Thank God for the CXX WHEEL OPTION!!!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations. Beautiful Car and well done. Nice family picture. Enjoy in good health.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Targa16
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful wheels. I have a Sapphire Blue Targa GTS with black wheels. How did you get the silver? What shade of silver did you get, and are the barrels still black?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Picked up the car today from Sandro and his fine crew at Schwabenfolia. (We've talked so much over the months that my phone now autofills his company's name.) The Xpel wrap is fantastic and he delivered the car on time and just as promised.

Sandro even replaced my frunk medallion with a GT Silver version I procured from a member of this board.

Thank you Schwabenfolia!

Beautiful! And third on the targa bar

Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
I drove to the museum today to grab some pics, with Junior riding in the back, and both Porsche employees and tourists alike were snapping pics. This in a town chock full of Carreras. Quite the compliment.
Not taking anything away from your total looks package, as its certainly stunning, but I think the overall desire to snap pics of it is a Targa thing. Just about every time I am on the highway driving, I'll get somebody pulling up next to me so they or their passenger can snap a phone pic of my car. Get it a lot at gas stations as well. Never happened to any before the Targa....something about that bar and the wraparound rear window that stands out a bit I'm guessing.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Is the BLUE BARON flying home or being sent by boat????
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Werks 1
Racer

and Fasttr..... I love your wheels as well! Perfect match with your car!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:49 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 285 Posts

If he doesn't sell me the wheels, I'm going to find out where he lives and bring my breaker bar
Old 07-27-2016, 08:41 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks 1
Is the BLUE BARON flying home or being sent by boat????
We're flying. The Blue Baron's coming home via boat. Damn car wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment. It should be landing just after we return from our next trip which is to South America.

Originally Posted by Targa16
Beautiful wheels. I have a Sapphire Blue Targa GTS with black wheels. How did you get the silver? What shade of silver did you get, and are the barrels still black?
Targa16, the wheels were painted by Porsche. They are GT Silver throughout (no painted barrels).

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Not taking anything away from your total looks package, as its certainly stunning, but I think the overall desire to snap pics of it is a Targa thing. Just about every time I am on the highway driving, I'll get somebody pulling up next to me so they or their passenger can snap a phone pic of my car. Get it a lot at gas stations as well. Never happened to any before the Targa....something about that bar and the wraparound rear window that stands out a bit I'm guessing.
Fasttr, the Targa is an incredibly photogenic car. It's mesmerizing and a key reason why I got one.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Those would be perfect for me since I have a GT Silver GTS. If you ever decide to sell them, please PM me first! I'd love to take them off your hands!
Noted, neurotic. But I must be candid that the odds of being buried with this car are remarkably high.

Originally Posted by JimHJr
Your car looks great in sapphire blue. Love how the wheels and GTS badge match the targa bar. Congrats!
Thankss JimHJr! Much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

To prepare The Baron for its multi-national road trip, I applied several additional protective measures last night in Stuttgart. The Schlossgarten let me park her in front of the hotel where I promptly proceeded to wrap any remaining paint surfaces not deftly protected by Schwabenfolia with Xpel Tracwrap.

I started with the rear bumper and also covered the light aluminum door sills, rear valence and rear fenders. While the gorgeous rear end might be slightly compromised aesthetically, if such a thing is even possible (!), I knew the car would be better protected until a permanent solution can be applied back in the States. Name:  B8804D6F-598C-4944-93E2-64430326E59C.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  244.3 KB

Germans are completely unfamiliar with temporary PPF and constantly approached me to inquire what (the heck) I was doing. One of Porsche's factory workers even inquired and then proceeded to rave to my wife about how much he loves the Targa, how Sapphire Blue is his favorite color for this model and how special the CXX options make it. There was a very real chance he personally built the 3.8L NA motor in our car.

In addition to the Tracwrap, I also protected the GT Silver-painted CXX wheels with a product called Rimskins. It's essentially a plastic edging that adheres to the outermost part of the wheel so the replaceable plastic insert gets curb rash before the wheel itself is touched. The silver color blends wonderfully with the painted CL wheels to become nearly invisible. Name:  E7A47825-09DD-4B8C-A705-893D57D4B541.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  180.8 KB

We'll see how well it holds up at Autobahn speeds

Last edited by TorqueChap; 07-28-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Glad to see you parked "upfront" at the Hotel....Sapphire Blue just a great color.(my second choice to red)....and those wheels really are killer!!! My CXX Turbo S polished wheels were $4000 option. Just curious what they charged you for painted wheels? You can PM me with the answer if you like. Please post some interior photos as well. I just turned 1500 miles on my TARGA GTS.....following your journey has inspired me to drive mine more.....and boy do I love driving it!!!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:09 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Werks, the wheels were more than $4k but I was sworn to secrecy

Completely agree that CXX wheels are a killer option!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:29 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

The drive from Stuttgart to Milan via Zurich was sublime. The Gottard Pass is breathtaking. Its highway runs right next to serene lakes beneath snow covered alps. Occasionally the road dips into semi-covered tunnels where the man made structures beautifully complement the natural terrain. The Gottard Tunnel itself is 10 miles long and perfect for savoring the MT NA 3.8L drivetrain concerto in Sport Mode. Those downshift blips!

We drove through Zurich just for kicks and then crossed into Italy. The border crossing went less than smoothly as we reentered the EU. All the cars in front of us were breezing through customs unchecked but we were pulled immediately. The armed guard asked me to pull into their station and promptly asked me two questions:

1. How much did this car cost?
2. How much money did we have on us?

We were instructed to exit the car and our bags were searched. The Panerai watch was declared and the baby food powder scrutinized. It seems we were entertainment for the day for an otherwise mundane post.

Once things were sorted, Baby Bash was coo'd over by armed personnel and we were discharged with smiles. Our clan continued towards Milan and hit a MASSIVE storm upon entering the city limits. Flooding was of a tropical nature and lightning was everywhere.

By the time we pulled in front of the Sheraton Diane Majestic the roads were flooding badly. The hotel was surrounded by beautiful people and pulsating music. Turns out it's bar is currently the trendiest in a very trendy city.

I parked the Targa right in front, breathed a sigh of relief in finally arriving, turned off the key and.....

BLACKOUT! The entire block went black. Lightening hit a transformer and our Milanese neighborhood was drenched in darkness. With the club silent and dark, hundreds of gazelle-like runway models and power brokers spilled out under the awnings to recoup with a cigarette. It felt like hundreds of eyes were on us as we exited the car. Once I got my wife high and dry, I doubled back to The Baron to retrieve Baby Bash, much like a magician pulling a screaming bunny from a hat haha The crowd erupted in laughter and baby talk while the crowd parted for us to pass. The hotel let us park the car front and center most of the night until the rain abated and I moved it to an equally secure spot.

Here's a shot of wifey and Junior from the Gottard Pass.

Quick Reply: The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build