Sponsored by:

Techart vs H&R springs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:33 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Azndavid85
Do most of you guys add the wheel spacers with tech art lowering spring? How do they looking without the spacers? I guess they won't look flush without the spacers.
Yes, you’ll want spacers. Otherwise, the wheels will look tucked underneath. You would have traded one issue of wheel gap for a new one with the tucked-in look.

Originally Posted by ZerOG
Indeed, what thickness fits well when lowered?
Not a one-size-fits-all answer. Depends on narrow or widebody and the offset of your current wheels. Many people seem to go 5mm-7mm but you’ll want to measure.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:18 PM
Azndavid85
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Yes, you’ll want spacers. Otherwise, the wheels will look tucked underneath. You would have traded one issue of wheel gap for a new one with the tucked-in look.Not a one-size-fits-all answer. Depends on narrow or widebody and the offset of your current wheels. Many people seem to go 5mm-7mm but you’ll want to measure.
I have 2014 c4s wiedebody with carrera s wheel. 7mm for front and 14mm for the rear ?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:01 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Our 911 with TechArts looks just fine without spacers. No intention to add them.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:33 AM
Azndavid85
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was assuming 95% of people add the spacers when they lowering their car.

Anyone can post pictures with or without spacers in their tech art spring.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:58 AM
4wheelspacers
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys,

We normally run 8mm to 10mm Front and 12mm - 15mm rear, on a lowered car, also depends what wheels your running on the car. You can PM us if you want some pictures of 991's with wheel spacers or if you have any further questions. All sizes are in stock ready ship!

GET 10% OFF YOUR ORDER WITH COUPON CODE: " RENNLIST" ON OUR WEBSITE AT CHECKOUT!
4WheelSpacers Your #1 Source For The Best European Wheel Spacers and Adapters -SUMMER SALE ON LOTS OF PRODUCTS - QUALITY HUB CENTRIC WHEEL SPACER KITS FOR AUDI, BMW, MBZ, PORSCHE, VW 5MM UP TO 40MM !!!
EMAIL: INFO@4WHEELSPACERS.COM

Old 08-31-2020, 09:12 PM
JFWGT3
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
The rear spring perch has multiple notches/ groves in the shock body itself in order to set the height/ preload for the car. A C-Clip/ large snap ring holds this in place.

Hey there. Is the spring perch adjustability on the rear only, or front and rear?
Old 08-31-2020, 09:15 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 422 Likes on 232 Posts

This would be only the rears.

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 09-07-2020, 04:05 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 262 Posts

For anyone with base suspension that have had techart springs for a while - how is the ride holding up over time? I’m always wary of using lowering springs with factory shocks so curious to hear what the ride is like after many thousands of miles.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:10 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 422 Likes on 232 Posts

We have had amazing feedback from all of our local clients
Old 09-09-2020, 10:19 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
For anyone with base suspension that have had techart springs for a while - how is the ride holding up over time? I’m always wary of using lowering springs with factory shocks so curious to hear what the ride is like after many thousands of miles.
I had them for almost a year on my 997.2 with base suspension (No PASM). I loved them, initially, and then, after a few months, I hated them. They are progressive and are too soft. That gives the appearance that they ride as well or better than OEM, but, in fact, the car has more roll and lean. After a while, I could just tell that they weren't a great match. In my opinion, the car needs stiffer, not softer springs. I recognize that making the jump to coilovers is a big jump, but it's worth it in my opinion. It's true that my Ohlins on my base 991.1 without PASM rides stiffer than my OEM suspension, but the shocks can handle it as well as the lowered ride height. Even though the car is stiffer and handles better, there is no excessive roll, no harshness that I had experienced with lowering springs alone and the manner in which you adjust ride height on the Ohlins Road & Track coilovers does not affect shock travel since adjusting the height on the body of the shock does not affect spring pre-load.

Lowering springs have their place. I would recommend Techarts or Eibach, if any, but I would never install lowering springs on a car ever again because I can tell the difference initially and after a few months.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I had them for almost a year on my 997.2 with base suspension (No PASM). I loved them, initially, and then, after a few months, I hated them. They are progressive and are too soft. That gives the appearance that they ride as well or better than OEM, but, in fact, the car has more roll and lean. After a while, I could just tell that they weren't a great match. In my opinion, the car needs stiffer, not softer springs. I recognize that making the jump to coilovers is a big jump, but it's worth it in my opinion. It's true that my Ohlins on my base 991.1 without PASM rides stiffer than my OEM suspension, but the shocks can handle it as well as the lowered ride height. Even though the car is stiffer and handles better, there is no excessive roll, no harshness that I had experienced with lowering springs alone and the manner in which you adjust ride height on the Ohlins Road & Track coilovers does not affect shock travel since adjusting the height on the body of the shock does not affect spring pre-load.

Lowering springs have their place. I would recommend Techarts or Eibach, if any, but I would never install lowering springs on a car ever again because I can tell the difference initially and after a few months.
^ Have to echo that.

Not sure I hate the TechArt springs on my 991.2 Carrera some 14,000 miles in, but they're a definite compromise. Too soft initially, then too stiff for PASM to deal with. The crispness and handling that make the 991.2 Carrera so good are compromised, and the car porpoises over big bumps. Ruined? No. But if I had it to do over again, I'd look at KW's HAS or a matched spring/damper.

Last edited by stout; 09-09-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,024 Likes on 609 Posts

Progressive springs don't always mean too soft, my B16's have a progressive spring, but they are matched to the damper. I also had tech art springs for about 20k miles, they are totally fine and I was happy with them until I had my B16's installed. Night and day difference in terms of confidence, traction, body roll etc.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:26 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
^ Have to echo that.

Not sure I hate the TechArt springs on my 991.2 Carrera some 14,000 miles in, but they're a definite compromise. Too soft initially, then too stiff for PASM to deal with. The crispness and handling that make the 991.2 Carrera so good are compromised, and the car porpoises over big bumps. Ruined? No. But if I had it to do over again, I'd look at KW's HAS or a matched spring/damper.
interesting since, if anything, yours would ride “better” than mine as a result of PASM
Old 09-10-2020, 12:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
interesting since, if anything, yours would ride “better” than mine as a result of PASM
PASM does help, but the problem with progressive springs + PASM is that the system was engineered for the other school of springs: straight rate.

The system has no problem dealing with the lower-rate coils, which is what the car rides around on most of the time, or leaning into the higher-rate coils slowly, but when the car hits a big bump (such as a freeway expansion joint), PASM sez "huh?" and the car porpoises. PASM is usually able to recorrect before there's a third oscillation, but that second one gives the game away.

Lesson: The TechArt springs are fine if you want the looks and don't mind degrading the factory suspension excellence at times (it is a 3-8% of the time problem where I live), but the right setup has adjustable perches and straight-rate springs, imo. And some "extras" to account for the geometry changes in a base car, as the drops most enthusiasts are after are significant, at 20-30mm or more.

Frankly, I find the stock Carrera suspension to be perfect for road use but for the high ride height, a purely visual issue (but one I can't unsee). On track, I found myself wanting more spring rate, and Cup tires (which means even more spring rate), and and and in admittedly small measures. But this is, for me, a street car.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:50 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=stout;16897214]PASM does help, but the problem with progressive springs + PASM is that the system was engineered for the other school of springs: straight rate.

The system has no problem dealing with the lower-rate coils, which is what the car rides around on most of the time, or leaning into the higher-rate coils slowly, but when the car hits a big bump (such as a freeway expansion joint), PASM sez "huh?" and the car porpoises. PASM is usually able to recorrect before there's a third oscillation, but that second one gives the game away.

Lesson: The TechArt springs are fine if you want the looks and don't mind degrading the factory suspension excellence at times (it is a 3-8% of the time problem where I live), but the right setup has adjustable perches and straight-rate springs, imo. And some "extras" to account for the geometry changes in a base car, as the drops most enthusiasts are after are significant, at 20-30mm or more.

Frankly, I find the stock Carrera suspension to be perfect for road use but for the high ride height, a purely visual issue (but one I can't unsee). On track, I found myself wanting more spring rate, and Cup tires (which means even more spring rate), and and and in admittedly small measures. But this is, for me, a street car.[/QUOTE

dont use cup2 tires as a measure of anything on the track. Can they be tracked? Of course, but they are awful on the track compared to RE71s. That’s said, RE 71s are awful in the street compared to cup 2. I have significant experience with both. PM me if guy have any questions about my experience with cup 2 and re71 on street and track. I don’t want to detract from the main purpose of the OP’s topic. That said, your explanation about the suspension makes perfect sense to me.

Quick Reply: Techart vs H&R springs...