Sponsored by:

Autocar: 991.2 GTS to remain NA

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
2007 997.1 GT3 RS had 415 HP and the 2010 997.2 GT3 had 435 HP. So why ****'em off?

On the second point,you need to re-read my post. I've meant PAG will eventually be forced to switch to Forced Induction in order to make more power out of the flat 6,if not for regulations.
I think Larry Cable was referring to the manual trans as being an option on the GT3 but the RS buyers are stuck with the PDK. I'm just guessing?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I think Larry Cable was referring to the manual trans as being an option on the GT3 but the RS buyers are stuck with the PDK. I'm just guessing?
Perhaps...we will let Larry clarify. Although,I don't see why that would be a problem for the RS owners either. Most can't stop talking about how good PDK is and how they wouldn't go back to an antiquated manual.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

2007 997.1 GT3 RS had 415 HP and the 2010 997.2 GT3 had 435 HP. So why ****'em off?
good point ... I'll be interested to see if the .2 GT3 will uptake the RS 4.0L or not...

On the second point,you need to re-read my post. I've meant PAG will eventually be forced to switch to Forced Induction in order to make more power out of the flat 6,if not for regulations.
Nope, I dont, I was agreeing with you entirely that they will have to go to F.I to extract more power ... sorry that was not evident in my comments.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
nope I wasn't ...

I think a lot of people are assuming that the .2 GT3 will have a manual option, that is yet to be seen, the "de-winged GT3" aka 911R is rumored to have a MT ... I guess that might predict the availability on any facelift GT3 also.

I think the RS is taking a cue from the GT4 CS ... that track cars are about lap times, and PDK vs MT results in much faster shifts, and thus shorter lap times ...
Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Nope, I dont, I was agreeing with you entirely that they will have to go to F.I to extract more power ... sorry that was not evident in my comments.
No worries,I misunderstood your comments.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

No worries,I misunderstood your comments.
no worries ... no 911's were abused in the making of this thread!

I think it will be interesting to see what happens next with the GT3, RS, and R ... will they really put a (good) (6)MT into the GT3 and R (although I suspect
they will use the 7MT PDK derived box)

... and what will they do with the bhp, especially for the 992 generation,
when I think as you suggest they must go to FI to compete with Ferrari BMW ...
Old 02-10-2016, 03:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

no worries ... no 911's were abused in the making of this thread! I think it will be interesting to see what happens next with the GT3, RS, and R ... will they really put a (good) (6)MT into the GT3 and R (although I suspect they will use the 7MT PDK derived box) ... and what will they do with the bhp, especially for the 992 generation, when I think as you suggest they must go to FI to compete with Ferrari BMW ...
FWIW,the 991.2 GT3 will have the exact same modified 6 speed made to work with the high revving 9A1 in the 991R. As an option of course,alongside PDK.
Win-Win for PAG : no extra $ spent to design a special manual gearbox for the 991.2 GT3 and bringing back all the Luddites like me that want antiquated technology. Not to mention the highest praise from automotive journalists that count : like EVO...that gave the Car of the Year to the GT4 in front of the RS,McLaren or 400K Lambo.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Ian M
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Autocar: 991.2 GTS to remain NA

I attended a Porsche gen. 2 event today. Tried various cars, base, S & S4. some with four wheel steer, manual, PDK, etc. I met a very interesting German gentleman from Porsche.

I have A GTS and am interested in its future. As detailed in a previous post, I was lent a gen two last week for a few days and was very impressed with the new engines torque and wanted to know, like many, if it could be expected in the new GTS.

I managed to speak to him privately and whilst he was a little coy at first, he left me feeling that the answers to the questions I was asking were a bit obvious!

The Gen 2 GTS will have a power increased version of the bi turbo engine. He roughly said 'why wouldn't it, to increase the power of the NA engine to significantly surpass the new engine would not make economic sense.' He went on to then talk about the better fuel economy and emissions that were achievable.
He continued 'it's only history repeating itself re the Carrera range, the GTS has always been based on a power increased S engine.'
He confirmed the increase in power will come from larger turbos.
The GTS has been out there being tested already, he referred to the very positive feedback they had received from the test drivers during our conversation.

Whilst I am probably in the minority, having now tried the car on the road and track I was happy with this news. An even more powerful bi turbo GTS will be simply glorious.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M
I attended a Porsche gen. 2 event today. Tried various cars, base, S & S4. some with four wheel steer, manual, PDK, etc. I met a very interesting German gentleman from Porsche.

I have A GTS and am interested in its future. As detailed in a previous post, I was lent a gen two last week for a few days and was very impressed with the new engines torque and wanted to know, like many, if it could be expected in the new GTS.

I managed to speak to him privately and whilst he was a little coy at first, he left me feeling that the answers to the questions I was asking were a bit obvious!

The Gen 2 GTS will have a power increased version of the bi turbo engine. He roughly said 'why wouldn't it, to increase the power of the NA engine to significantly surpass the new engine would not make economic sense.' He went on to then talk about the better fuel economy and emissions that were achievable.
He continued 'it's only history repeating itself re the Carrera range, the GTS has always been based on a power increased S engine.'
The GTS has been out there being tested already, he referred to the very positive feedback they had received from the test drivers during our conversation.

Whilst I am probably in the minority, having now tried the car on the road and track I was happy with this news. An even more powerful bi turbo GTS will be simply glorious.
^^^ This. Good job man, now we have one more evidence to support 991.2 GTS is going to have turbo.

I'm also feel that FI in the regular Carrera line (base, S, or GTS) is just fine since the higher low end torque are more usefully in typical daily driving situation. They might lost some engine sound quality but as long as they still handle like a Porsche, it's all good. However, please keep NA on the GT cars.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met a very interesting German gentleman from Porsche.

Did he tell you when 991.2 GTS will be available for order? If not, what's your guess for the date?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Ian M
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Autocar: 991.2 GTS to remain NA

I did ask him the question re release date, it made him laugh. He did explain that at this time it is being debated at the highest level. Some want to see how the sales go on the gen 2, they are concerned that a early release of the GTS would take sales away from the S. I explained that, I for one would not take an S over my current GTS, so didn't understand their concern, a car sold, after all, is a car sold. He said that's what the other decision makers thought. The upshot of this seems to be if the first group win the augment, there will be a delay of approx three months. I said I thought it would announced in October/November, he smiled and said that sounds about right.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:58 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,014 Posts

That is disappointing if it pans out. I'm sure they have a GTS mule already running around. There are already 992 spy shots.

More turbo boost for the same 3L engine is disappointing. More stress and heat in the engine translates into less reliability over the long run and much more expensive repairs. The 3.8 L of the NA 991 GTS was a tank.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I should work for PAG ... what Ive said all along!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I did ask him the question re release date, it made him laugh. He did explain that at this time it is being debated at the highest level. Some want to see how the sales go on the gen 2, they are concerned that a early release of the GTS would take sales away from the S. I explained that, I for one would not take an S over my current GTS, so didn't understand their concern, a car sold, after all, is a car sold. He said that's what the other decision makers thought. The upshot of this seems to be if the first group win the augment, there will be a delay of approx three months. I said I thought it would announced in October/November, he smiled and said that sounds about right.
which is why the GTS has "always" been the end of the model range prior to facelift/next generation car. to lift flagging sales of the 'S' towards the end of
its lifetime.

having said that it "feels" like this facelift generation has been released on an accelerated model schedule...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

which is why the GTS has "always" been the end of the model range prior to facelift/next generation car. to lift flagging sales of the 'S' towards the end of
its lifetime.

having said that it "feels" like this facelift generation has been released on an accelerated model schedule...
Yup, and long before GTS existed we saw it in other Porsche models. I bought the first special edition Boxster in 2004, last year of 986. 996 Turbo S comes out in 2004, the last year of regular 996 production (996TTS were still sold as 2005 MY also). 993 Turbo S launched in 1998, last year of 993. 964 RSA and 965 Turbo 3.6 came along when Porsche couldn't give 964s away. Various Black Editions, 40th Anniversary Editions, Speedsters, Club Coupes and the like are always trotted out when interest in the current model has waned.

Porsche wins twice with this -- they get you to buy the S in Year 1 or 2, then flip it for the GTS, etc. in Year 4 or 5. That way they get you to take 2 bites out of each sub-model apple.

Quick Reply: Autocar: 991.2 GTS to remain NA