Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Fake tans and too much gold too?
LOL !!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Your auto insurance policy probably covers a bent wheel, but they will probably consider it a collision claim (subject to your deductible) and not comprehensive (zero deductible.) I have State Farm and recently punctured my 991's oil pan due to a faulty bolt that holds a speed bump to the concrete in a parking lot. The bolt had backed out, then gotten bent over so that the head was vertical rather than horizontal, with one of the points pointing up. My car settled down on it after crossing the bump and it punched a crack in the pan.

Anyway, 989 bucks later I had a new pan on it; turned in to my agent and she said most likely this would be treated as collision, and since I have $1000 deductible, I'm SOL. But for some reason, SF determined it was Comprehensive (like a meteor falling on it, or it burning to the ground or something) and stroked a check for the full amount. I was impressed.

Anyway, she specifically said that with bent wheels from potholes that is collision, and my situation seemed the same. (I agreed with her, but thankfully SF didn't!)
Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Ragtopvet
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got quoted a price for wheel and tire, windshield and ding and dent policy and we agreed on price, then he said there would be tax on top of that. I have never paid tax on car ,truck , boat, motorcycle , home insurance , is this different or just the stealers way of getting more money?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtopvet
I got quoted a price for wheel and tire, windshield and ding and dent policy and we agreed on price, then he said there would be tax on top of that. I have never paid tax on car ,truck , boat, motorcycle , home insurance , is this different or just the stealers way of getting more money?
If they are outsourcing that to a third party (mine was) then it may show up on your dealer's books as a material purchase, which may require sales tax. If they do it in house then it looks like their trying to increase their margin.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:32 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't neglect to negotiate the price on that warranty, too. I got the coverage on the Jag I just leased (20" rims), dealer "list" was $1995, they offered it to me for $1695, and because of another matter they gave it to me at their cost (or what they said their cost was) $1095. This was the CNA warranty, which covers tires, bent rims, curb rash, etc.

Any new car dealer who carries these warranties can sell you the coverage as long as they inspect the wheels and tires before hand, so you might find it cheaper at the local Toyota dealer. I'm assuming this is not a Porsche warranty, but an aftermarket one.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Ragtopvet
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
If they are outsourcing that to a third party (mine was) then it may show up on your dealer's books as a material purchase, which may require sales tax. If they do it in house then it looks like their trying to increase their margin.
It was a 3rd party (vanguard) wheel/tire, ding/dent, windshield repair and lost, damaged key for 4 years got them down to $1193................................
PLUS TAX.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Ice9ine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought wheel and tire insurance when I purchased my CPO 2012 911s.

Had 2 rear tire punctures due to road debris within 3 months after purchase. I would have paid $624 per tire to replace if I did not have Tire and Rim Insurance. Both tires (20" Pirelli P Zeros) were replaced no charge, including flatbed tows.

In addition to punctures from road debris, bent rims are common due to potholes (I live in New England)., If you hit a pothole and bend the front rim, it's likely you'll also bend the rear rim too. A new wheel is a pricy repair.

Anyway, i'm glad I have it and recommend it as a optional purchase if you wish to mitigate this type of risk.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice9ine
I bought wheel and tire insurance when I purchased my CPO 2012 911s.

Had 2 rear tire punctures due to road debris within 3 months after purchase. I would have paid $624 per tire to replace if I did not have Tire and Rim Insurance......

Anyway, i'm glad I have it and recommend it as a optional purchase if you wish to mitigate this type of risk.
$624 per tire? Remind me never to go to that tire shop!

I think the need for these plans all boils down to how many miles are driven and where those miles are driven. Period. Randomness will always play a part and it's hard to assign a value to protect against it. Like others have said, repairing curb rash or even a ding (PDR) is relatively inexpensive, and as for tires, one's driving history really should determine if such plan is worth it or not.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If you buy the package, make sure they throw in the TruCoat...
Old 03-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamabucks
The dealer offered coverage for wheels and tires should the tire get a nail in it or if the wheel gets scraped or damaged. The plan covers both scenarios 100% and you can have unlimited claims. They want $2500 for it.

I'm curious what everybody else has for coverage. I am not one to buy these kinds of extra coverage the dealers offer. Mainly because I know the profit margins on them are outrageous for the dealer. They were pushing this wheel/tire plan pretty hard and weren't pushing others at all.

I've never owned a car with low profile tires like the Porsche. Do the rims normally get damaged because of the low profile tires? Is there a way to repair a low profile tire that gets a nail or is it pretty much a requirement to be replaced at that point?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.
Haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone's already said this, but I'd skip the wheel coverage, unless you have in the past found yourself running into things, potholes, debris, etc., and damaging/ruining tires or even wheels.

In hundreds of thousands of miles of driving I've only ruined one wheel when in bad weather at night I pulled into an unfamiliar hotel parking lot driveway that had an island right in the middle of the drive that I hit with the front wheel of my '96 Mustang. The next day in better light I looked at the island and from the looks of it my car was not the first vehicle to hit that damn thing.

If you can get tire coverage, road hazard coverage, for the tires at a reasonable price I'd go for that. At the Porsche dealer when I get new tires fitted I get road hazard coverage which last time I looked costs $7/tire.

This tire road hazard coverage has paid for itself for while I haven't so far -- knock wood -- ruined a wheel on my Porsches once in a while a tire will pick up a nail and the hole can't be repaired. While I might have to buy the tire on the other side if the tires are worn too much to pair a new tire on the axle with a used tire still to get the one tire with the hole for no cost is a savings.

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire Coverage - Yes or No