Sponsored by:

Sharp Turn Scrubbing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sharp Turn Scrubbing

Hi guys. I don't own a 991, but have had a 2016 Black Edition C4 cab as a loaner for about 10 days while my Macan is being repaired (bad transfer case). I have loved driving the C4, as it is amazingly quick, smooth and compliant (even on the big wheels), and is almost too easy to drive very fast. The driving position is almost identical to my Macan, so it is very easy to transition from the Macan to the 991.
But I find the scrubbing of the front tires when turning sharply out of a driveway etc to be a real problem. I understand they changed the 991 steering geometry so that it doesn't vary the arc between the inside and outside wheels, so the tires have to squirm to make up the difference, and they chatter badly in cold weather. I assume they all do this if it is the way they're all designed. Do you just live with it and get used to it?
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did do a quick search and didn't want to spend an hour looking.
BTW, the Bose in my Macan sounds much better than in the 991, likely because it is hard to get good sound in small cabins, especially with the added road and wind noise.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8949...om-lexvan.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8639...d-turning.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-on-turns.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7861...reverse-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8639...d-turning.html

And many, many more!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:43 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Thanks Homeles. I hate it when people bring up a topic that has been dealt with to death. I just wasn't sure how it would be described when I did a search. And I still don't know what ACORN means after scanning the threads you provided above. But my question is well answered now.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

No worries. Use google. Much better results the the forum's each engine.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks Homeles. I hate it when people bring up a topic that has been dealt with to death. I just wasn't sure how it would be described when I did a search. And I still don't know what ACORN means after scanning the threads you provided above. But my question is well answered now.
A couple years ago a Rennlister described what you were also experiencing "as driving on acorns". So, it kinda stuck.

So when people ask, we have a short one word answer. Acorns!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:46 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm assuming it's a tradeoff that the Porsche engineers were willing to make. Put up with driving on acorns occasionally in order to make the remainder of the steering geometry dead solid perfect at speed (or close to it).
Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

But I find the scrubbing of the front tires when turning sharply out of a driveway etc to be a real problem. .
How do you mean?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
How do you mean?
Probably doesn't get cold enough where you live to experience the "Acorn Effect"
Old 01-24-2016, 01:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
How do you mean?
I just think that for a $100k + car, used primarily as a daily driver and not for racing, I shouldn't have to feel like the whole front end is ready to fall off when turning out of my driveway on cool days (40's here). My previous 997's had a little bit of front tire squirm at cooler temps, especially as the tires wore down so there was less rubber to take up the forces, but it didn't cause the whole front end to kick quite violently like this 991 does.
If whatever handling improvements they created with the geometry change were necessary and useful for me, such as if I was tracking the car regularly and needed that additional handling edge that this design apparently was meant to provide, then the trade-off might be justified.

I have a Macan and a 993 that both handle wonderfully for my needs, and neither one demonstrates this "acorn" effect. Same with my daily driver 997's that I periodically autocrossed. I'm sure none of the Porsches I've owned perform as well, or as easily, as the 991 at very high speeds. But since I seldom exceed 100 mph, but often turn sharp corners.......you get my drift.

I expect with smaller wheels (the Black Edition has 21"), and perhaps winter tires that use rubber that behaves better in cold weather, the acorning would be less severe and easier for me to accommodate.

Bottom line, the 991 is a great car, and this issue is a first world problem.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:08 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

The problem goes away if you put on winter rubber when it gets cold.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:13 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I just think that for a $100k + car, used primarily as a daily driver and not for racing, I shouldn't have to feel like the whole front end is ready to fall off when turning out of my driveway on cool days (40's here). My previous 997's had a little bit of front tire squirm at cooler temps, especially as the tires wore down so there was less rubber to take up the forces, but it didn't cause the whole front end to kick quite violently like this 991 does.
If whatever handling improvements they created with the geometry change were necessary and useful for me, such as if I was tracking the car regularly and needed that additional handling edge that this design apparently was meant to provide, then the trade-off might be justified.

I have a Macan and a 993 that both handle wonderfully for my needs, and neither one demonstrates this "acorn" effect. Same with my daily driver 997's that I periodically autocrossed. I'm sure none of the Porsches I've owned perform as well, or as easily, as the 991 at very high speeds. But since I seldom exceed 100 mph, but often turn sharp corners.......you get my drift.

I expect with smaller wheels (the Black Edition has 21"), and perhaps winter tires that use rubber that behaves better in cold weather, the acorning would be less severe and easier for me to accommodate.

Bottom line, the 991 is a great car, and this issue is a first world problem.
My 991 is no worse than my previous three 997's. Are you sure the Black Edition has 21" wheels? All I have seen have 20". Here is a link to a Black Edition Cab at my local dealer. Specs say 20 " wheels.

https://leith.porschedealer.com/new/...59215/info.php
Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My C2s started doing the "acorn" thing on tight turns out of my driveway or parking places this winter as temperatures dropped below 40 degrees. Never did it in warm weather.
I have PDCC and all four original Pirelli P-Zero tires measure 7/32" tread evenly all the way across at over 13,000 milles, so it is not anything wrong with steering alignment.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:23 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn't the OP just describing the Ackerman effect which is a well known phenomenon on sports cars like Porsche and Corvette? Complaining about the Ackerman effect is like complaining at the sound of rocks being kicked up by the high performance car. Not trying to be harsh but a 991 is a true bespoke sports car with luxury features built in... It's going to have carry-over characteristics of race cars.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Want a smooth driving cruiser, get a Panamera or S Class. There are trade offs for having a high performance & superb handling sports car.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Symptomatic of low profile summer tires in cold weather - my 996tt did it, so did the 991, and so does my new R8! (although the 991 did it the most violently)

Quick Reply: Sharp Turn Scrubbing