Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: In favor of a separate 991.2 forum?
Yes
56.22%
No
41.08%
Neutral
2.70%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

In favor of a separate 991.2 forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by aspriggsdds
I voted "No." I feel like there isn't enough new content here on a daily basis to justify more than one 991 forum. I can already go a couple of days without visiting the site and then get caught up in just a few minutes. Having two forums to visit instead of one seems overkill to me. Maybe I'm just used to busier websites, but that's my 2 cents.
I think this must be the most active Porsche board there is, isn't it?

You want to go to a graveyard, go to 6Speed.

This board was very active before 991.2. Even now, most of the chat is about 991.1

Like I mentioned earlier, being the last of the naturally aspirated engines, this board will be very relevant even for my children.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
The 991.1 being the last of the NA's will be a popular forum for years to come. It's a disservice to both 991.1 and 991.2 owners to be lumped together.
+1. Amen.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
New engine huh? Anyone who says these are new engines has either not looked at the engine parts, or is mimicking someone who hasn't. Below is Petevb's quote on the "new" engine. Guessing most of you missed it, or perhaps don't know who Pete is, or don't know his credentials...

Either way, you're all very wrong, to a fault. It's not a new engine by any stretch. This isn't a new car, and it even shares the same transmission. Don't want to read the 991.2 stuff? Don't click on it.

Hey mods, perhaps you can separate the GT3 and GT2 forums. After all both are Mezgers, but one has a turbo "bolted on."
Except this is just not true, as I pointed out in the last debate about this topic. The two motors share almost no identical parts at all. There is an article I linked to in that thread that compares the motors and outlines the differences. Pistons, valve trains, cams, intake, exhausts, new cylinder liners, new crankcase, new oil pan, new oil pump, everything is new. And the turbo is obviously a big change that will make the motor perform very differently. And the RWS is new. And the electric power steering has been revamped, and the PCM is all new, and the drive mode selector and modes are new, and...

Yes, they're both flat sixes of very similar design, which one would expect, but it is a new motor with new components throughout.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by aspriggsdds
I voted "No." I feel like there isn't enough new content here on a daily basis to justify more than one 991 forum. I can already go a couple of days without visiting the site and then get caught up in just a few minutes. Having two forums to visit instead of one seems overkill to me. Maybe I'm just used to busier websites, but that's my 2 cents.
I agree to a point, but as the .2 cars come out and begin to be sold to customers, I expect that a .2 subform would heat up quickly. And there will be a lot of threads about things that are unique to the new car. I think there's a lot less downside to splitting the subforms than there is upside, but given the differences of opinion on the topic, I expect they'll stay together.

I don't agree with the GT2/GT3 analogy some have made though, as those are both much lower volume cars than the standard cars. I can see why it would make sense to group those just to get enough discussion to support the forum.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except this is just not true, as I pointed out in the last debate about this topic. The two motors share almost no identical parts at all. There is an article I linked to in that thread that compares the motors and outlines the differences. Pistons, valve trains, cams, intake, exhausts, new cylinder liners, new crankcase, new oil pan, new oil pump, everything is new. And the turbo is obviously a big change that will make the motor perform very differently. And the RWS is new. And the electric power steering has been revamped, and the PCM is all new, and the drive mode selector and modes are new, and...

Yes, they're both flat sixes of very similar design, which one would expect, but it is a new motor with new components throughout.
Nonsense. You can link as many articles as you like. The engines are the same. Check the castings and parts. A lot shared. If you think Porsche will develop a brand new engine for its turbo cars, where the 9A1 was built for turbo homologation in the first place, then there is no sense debating - as you have no idea how Porsche manages R&D costs. Go find more articles that reference marketing lingo. The 9A1 and 9A2 are the same engine. Nothing about the 991.2 justifies a separate forum.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
If we do, does that mean we go to 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 Turbo, also as separate?
No... Because those models didn't get an entirely new engine.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:59 PM
gbree
Racer

New engine huh? Anyone who says these are new engines has either not looked at the engine parts, or is mimicking someone who hasn't. Below is Petevb's quote on the "new" engine. Guessing most of you missed it, or perhaps don't know who Pete is, or don't know his credentials... Either way, you're all very wrong, to a fault. It's not a new engine by any stretch. This isn't a new car, and it even shares the same transmission. Don't want to read the 991.2 stuff? Don't click on it. Hey mods, perhaps you can separate the GT3 and GT2 forums. After all both are Mezgers, but one has a turbo "bolted on."
Oh it has the same block and displacement?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:02 PM
gbree
Racer

The 9A1 and 9A2 are the same engine.
Alrighty then.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:17 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I could have voted an "emphatic yes", I would have. My "yes" vote reflects all of the hassle that I experienced back when I was looking at 997.2s. What a colossal PITA it was trying to sift out the 997.2 info from the 997.1 stuff when I had no interest whatsoever in 997.1s. Posters cannot be relied upon to label their threads as pertaining to one or the other.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No....sub-forum, yes.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
Oh it has the same block and displacement?
Hey don't let reality get in the way. Perhaps the 991.1 base and 991.1 'S' should have different forums. You know, because they don't have the same block or displacement. Good luck with this.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Throw 991.2s in with the 991 Turbo. That forum could use some traffic.

I voted no because I don't want to check three forums for useful posts.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:08 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
And the engine, exhaust sound, front/rear bumpers, engine grill, PCM, steering wheel, door handles, and on .....

I bet the average Joe would say the same thing about a 997 vs. a 991

How is this an argument against two different forums?? It's only a click away now to any of the other ones. Will make reading up on both much easier.
I wasn't really commenting on the topic but more so on the way we view the changes ... I definitely see where you are coming from and you make some good points ... I'm looking it at from a point of my 2012 Carrera S which has 10k miles is going to be 4 years old in April and I'm debating whether or not to get the new 991.2 or just go in a whole different direction.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by AF330i
I wasn't really commenting on the topic but more so on the way we view the changes ... I definitely see where you are coming from and you make some good points ... I'm looking it at from a point of my 2012 Carrera S which has 10k miles is going to be 4 years old in April and I'm debating whether or not to get the new 991.2 or just go in a whole different direction.
I'd keep your current car if I were you. Really nothing better out there. Maybe a GT3?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I was initially feeling in favor of a separate sub-forum. Indeed, in today's world why not have sub-forums for cabriolets, 911's that are lowered, tracked, garaged, PTS, owned by kids with too-big helmets? Hacker-Pschorr definitely deserves his own sub-forum, and I wouldn't want to exclude any others, just because they're all so darned earnest. I mean its not like we don't have the electrons, or pixels are so precious, or whatever.

But then having read all the arguments it turns out that no, its just fine as it is. A new 991.2 means a new 997.2. Why not? It actually does have a different engine, PDK instead of Tip, etc, etc. Or maybe move 997.1 to 996, where they have the Tip, etc, etc. And by the way, what's the deal with Lance? Did he win all those Tours, or not?

But the really solid ground for opposing this is its such an obvious half-measure. Why waste time PM'ing Mods in an utterly futile gesture, when the real target is Porsche itself? Its so obvious. They're the ones asking us to parse turbo's from Turbo's. They're the ones to be getting the letters. Not that they care all that much. They're clearly on a mission- sorry, e-mission- and the 911 just ain't all that anymore.

Quick Reply: In favor of a separate 991.2 forum?