Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:43 PM
TooTurbos
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Hate to say it, but honestly the best fix is not to buy a car impacted (from my understanding/testing, its all of them). Many will end up buying due to lack of testing or might be blindsided. If you’re in that camp, you have to learn to live with it (AKA don’t wide open throttle at low RPMs and 1st gear) or should trade in. Later gen cars (not NA) don’t do it and are faster, but they sound worse and far more expensive. You weigh the pros/cons yourself.

My 2 cents is its variable cam timing (better known as Honda VTECH) slow to kick in likely dealing with emissions regulations and tuning. It’s important to note that despite the felt delay, the cars meet or exceed published 0-60 times. It just leaves you wanting more since its a perceptional lag and that’s the problem.
This is why i think it's two different issues people are experiencing. My car is a turbo and has the slight hesitation under 2000rpm and the alternative warm up method works to reduce it quite a bit

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
The issue is reproducible in specific cars known to have it. It is interesting to see that even though not all people experience the stumble, this thread attracts owners with the same issue regularly... And now that the 991.2 and 992 are out, which have massively redesigned engines and do not have the issue, the culprit must be somewhere in the 997 - 991 NA 3.8 liter engine design.
yea this is really interesting that it spanned such a run of motors without having porsche address it and now its solved...maybe we can learn something from this.

Originally Posted by 2000se
Maybe it's been answered already, but do the cars w/ tunes experience this? I also tend to agree it has something to do w/ the var valve timing.
in my case, with a 991.1 turbo the COBB tune made it more noticeable, and from my research other tunes do not seem to fix this.

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Well, I bought my 991 new (ordered it) and the issue didn't become apparent until after a few miles, although in that car it got better all by itself. My 981 was bought used, but I had it delivered and didn't recognize the problem until after I had received it. That car went in for official Porsche technician diagnosis, and the shop manager said "they all do that" so I was, as you can imagine, discouraged. So you can't always just "not buy a car impacted", unfortunately.

I should add this whole experience has really rather turned me off of Porsche, and I've not seriously considered replacing the 981 with another, and instead bought a BMW M car. BMW, as well all know, never have issues. <cough>
thats really ****ty. sorry to hear it. Does yours have the large stumble or the light one?? and what model is it??
Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TooTurbos
thats really ****ty. sorry to hear it. Does yours have the large stumble or the light one?? and what model is it??
I assume that this question was directed to me.

The mild stumble that largely went away on its own was a 991.1 S 7-spd. The used 981 was a Boxster S, 6-spd. I had a 996.2 that didn't stumble but had a noticeable and annoying surge when the variocam came in. I never understood why so many other manufacturers can make their variable cam timing unnoticeable, but Porsche, the kings of automotive engineering, cannot.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it possible the stumble is a Low Speed Pre Ignition (LSPI) event? Has anyone tried a different oil with less calcium?

https://www.oronite.com/about/news/l...-ignition.aspx
Old 06-17-2019, 04:15 PM
TooTurbos
Advanced

cool article, definitely has some substance there. I'm coming up on an oil change and will look to try this!

A bit more info for you guys.

went surfing this past thursday, hour and 45 minute drive home no noticeable difference in the car. Brought my surf gear in the house, went to move my car and it was running on 5 cylinders...well that aint good.

But then i was thinking, perfect. this might be what was happening the whole time. Tired plug, coil pack on its way out or combination of the two. So i order 6 coil packs and 6 plugs friday morning and have them for saturday day.

Replaced them all last night/this morning. Kind of a biatch of a job, super tight up in there with the turbos. Got a coil pack boot stuck on two of them, that was the hardest part of the job haha. All the plugs looked pretty good, nothing looked a miss, but at 20,000 miles on the clock i don't expect it too.

Dialed the gap back to .026" (i'm running a 93 tune) with hopes that also could help keep things smoother.

Fired it up and took it for a ride....................Exactly the same haha. One more data point!! plugs and coil packs did not seem to help mine at all.

the search continues
Old 06-17-2019, 05:34 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
Is it possible the stumble is a Low Speed Pre Ignition (LSPI) event? Has anyone tried a different oil with less calcium?

The stumble is experienced on NA engines as well and I think LSPI is only on turbo engines according to the article you linked, right?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Could be total placebo effect but I've run Shell gas for the last 6 tanks and the car has been very smooth with none of the stumble/hesitation that I've had in the past.

Previous gas was 10% Ethanol, whereas Shell is 0%.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Hate to say it, but honestly the best fix is not to buy a car impacted (from my understanding/testing, its all of them). Many will end up buying due to lack of testing or might be blindsided. If you’re in that camp, you have to learn to live with it (AKA don’t wide open throttle at low RPMs and 1st gear) or should trade in. Later gen cars (not NA) don’t do it and are faster, but they sound worse and far more expensive. You weigh the pros/cons yourself.

My 2 cents is its variable cam timing (better known as Honda VTECH) slow to kick in likely dealing with emissions regulations and tuning. It’s important to note that despite the felt delay, the cars meet or exceed published 0-60 times. It just leaves you wanting more since its a perceptional lag and that’s the problem.
As some one who is in the market and will soon be actively looking at cars, is it possible to detect the stumble on a short test drive? how long does it take to present itself when a car is barely warmed up from sitting on a dealer lot or how can one reproduce it while a salesman is sitting to your right? They just want to get you to take a quick ride before anything like this happens and get you to sign paperwork. A PPI would catch this I suppose but why waste the money on one and instead put it towards one that doesn't stumble.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Could be total placebo effect but I've run Shell gas for the last 6 tanks and the car has been very smooth with none of the stumble/hesitation that I've had in the past.

Previous gas was 10% Ethanol, whereas Shell is 0%.
I always use Top Tier gas (usually Shell) and that didn't stop my car from doing it. Everyone should always use Top Tier, even in your domestic beaters. And rarely can you find ethanol free any more, unless you want to pay a steep premium. I noticed that Costco doesn't have the "can contain up to 10% ethanol" sign, but I'm sure it's got plenty of it in there. And BTW, Costco is Top Tier.

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
As some one who is in the market and will soon be actively looking at cars, is it possible to detect the stumble on a short test drive? how long does it take to present itself when a car is barely warmed up from sitting on a dealer lot or how can one reproduce it while a salesman is sitting to your right? They just want to get you to take a quick ride before anything like this happens and get you to sign paperwork. A PPI would catch this I suppose but why waste the money on one and instead put it towards one that doesn't stumble.
My 991 took a while to show its colors, but my 981 (which was bought used) showed the issue within a 5 minute test drive, but it was thoroughly warmed up before I did that. My suggestion is that you take it for a long test drive, or even better, borrow it for the day and just drive. And drive it like you normally would, not like you're Mario Andretti.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:03 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991

The LSPI situation / phenomenon is really limited to GDI Turbo engines where much higher cylinder pressures are present at high load - low rpm situations. I.E. all of these DI turbo engines that produce high amounts of torque at low rpm.

It's made even worse by the constant lugging and higher gear up-shifting of the automatic transmissions which fully exploit the low rpm torque.

Operating a gasoline engine like a diesel engine in order to reduce emissions, consumption and provide an artificially high low rpm torque curve never seemed like a great idea to me and now it really seems that with nearly a decade of implementation across the industry the drawbacks of GDI turbo engines are beginning to surface and I don't think it will stop at LSPI either.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:15 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread... but,

Has anyone with the stumble issue replaced (or had cleaned (*)) their fuel injectors?

(*) Cleaning and rebalancing the old-school magnetic pulsed injectors is a common ‘10-year maintenance’ item. I haven’t looked into it for the newest technology injectors. In the 9[98]1s they are, I think piezoelectric.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Mufus
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, so here is what is happening to me.

As stated before this happens on the TT cars too.

A little about be, so you can understand better: I run a independent service and tuning shop in Bucharest.

I have a few 991 modified, one TT one, TTS and one C2S.

The first one with problems was the C2S, who had the valve timing solenoid going bad on one bank, passenger side. Porsche service diagnosed wrong ( coil pack and spark plugs ), but with the help of this forum, i found out that the solenoid was the culprit.
Changed both of them, car runs perfectly.

Now, back to the turbos. Both of them have catless Ipe-F1 exhaust. Both of them have BMC air filter, and Forge diverter valves. Both of them have new software from Germany ( mcchip-dkr ).

Now, the TTs has extra over the TT the folowing: IPD plenum, IPD Y pipe, Wagner intercoolers. nothing else, except a different version of tune.

Both were running fine until 2 months ago. First, the TTS, has 2 bad coils, which i replaced, along with all spark plugs. Porsche SA said it is not necessary to replace all coils, as these are newer generation and you can change one by one. Said ok. while in the service, i changed also the Solenoids from the valve train to eliminate all signs of the stumble.

I addmit, until today, i did not know that this is such a big problem, and thought only the TTS had this. Like someone said before, i started doubting and blaming on the tune.

So, i took out the TTS and was working fine. after a few days, the stumble appeared. But very.. strong, i think is the word for it. Now i blamed it on bad fuel, because the car was low on fuel, and i was not sure of the quality. Also the car stopped. like, engine cut off. wont start , only after a few tries.
Somehow i managed to get to the gas station ( with range 90km, and the red warning light off ), filled her up and drove away. no problems.

Here in Europe, i use OMV 100. which is top of the line, of what is available. I filled her up and went on the highway. No problems.. 300+ km/h, no issues.

A few days later, the stumble is there, happens from 1500rpm to 3000rpm. did not noticed this too much. No check engine, no warnings, no nothing.

Getting back to the start of my story, the other car, the TT, developed the same problem. did the same: changed spark plugs, valve solenoids, to be sure, and also inspected the cilinders for bore score ( client was afraid of this ). but all is fine. The stumble is the same here too. hard, like the car hits a net that is pulling it back, and then shoots right away.

At this point, i dont know what to do.

The only things i will replace next, because this is another issue with the 991 TT and TTS, will be the AOS ( air oil separator). Both have oil in the right turbo hose, which ends up on the MAP ( Mass Air Pressure ) sensor and makes the car stumble ( but with errors and check engine light ).

So, for me , the last unchecked items will be the throttle body on both cars, and the intake valves.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know , as i start working on the TT next week, and i'm willing to check whatever you throw at me, also to replace parts, as i can get them cheaper than the dealership and sometimes faster. So, we can experiment various theories.

One more thing, the TT has 45.000km and the TTS has 75.000km. The TTS started to have this first. Both cars are MY2014, but 2013 actual year of manufacture.
All the best..
The following users liked this post:
slo_991 (06-30-2022)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 PM
TooTurbos
Advanced

Mufus,
Thanks for all the info. I noticed that the MAP also gets oil on it when i pulled it out just to inspect it, i cleaned it and thought it may have lessened the stumble a bit but i may have just been wishful thinking because it was definitely there the next morning. I also found the intake vent foam gaskets to be completely shot, and also the stumble happens much more at speed...could the pressure surge of intake air be causing this at lower rpm and higher speed?? i know, kind of grasping at straws. I'm going to change them and see if it helps at all. The only thing i was thinking is that there could be air that is accounted for fluttering past the intake source causing a little hunting for the right mixture.

But...If you can get parts cheaper and are willing to try a few things my biggest bet would be on the primary O2 sensors (the wideband ones) i have a sneaking suspicion that is the culprit. But i haven't wanted to drop 500$ on them without more research on this as it isn't throwing a code and i can't find anything in the data logs that i am doing on m COBB that show this as the smoking gun. Love to see if the sensor just goes out by a small percent and at lower exhaust volume and finer fuel trim levels it isn't able to meter it correctly.

thanks again!!
Dane
Old 08-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

Interesting to see this thread bumped. I wonder if it's PDK related.

Last edited by Sajan; 08-23-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Mufus
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TooTurbos
Mufus,
Thanks for all the info. I noticed that the MAP also gets oil on it when i pulled it out just to inspect it, i cleaned it and thought it may have lessened the stumble a bit but i may have just been wishful thinking because it was definitely there the next morning. I also found the intake vent foam gaskets to be completely shot, and also the stumble happens much more at speed...could the pressure surge of intake air be causing this at lower rpm and higher speed?? i know, kind of grasping at straws. I'm going to change them and see if it helps at all. The only thing i was thinking is that there could be air that is accounted for fluttering past the intake source causing a little hunting for the right mixture.

- This has no impact on the car's behaviour. yes those gaskets are stupid, and they go bad fast, but they on isolate a small portion of the intake sistem. Worst case scenario would be to draw some hot air from the engine bay.. but i higly doubted that would have any significance. I will replace those on both cars too.

But...If you can get parts cheaper and are willing to try a few things my biggest bet would be on the primary O2 sensors (the wideband ones) i have a sneaking suspicion that is the culprit. But i haven't wanted to drop 500$ on them without more research on this as it isn't throwing a code and i can't find anything in the data logs that i am doing on m COBB that show this as the smoking gun. Love to see if the sensor just goes out by a small percent and at lower exhaust volume and finer fuel trim levels it isn't able to meter it correctly.

- This i did one year ago, when the the TTS was throwing O2 sensors. Changed those for nothing. I suspected it was from the tune, but then , the TT with almoste same tune, had no issue with the O2 sensors. So, i ruled those out. Now i have a pair of O2 sensors sitting around.

thanks again!!
Dane

What i will try , it will be the AOS replacement on the TT first, just to see , maybe i get rid of the oil in the passenger side turbo hose.
It is very irritating, because if you have stock intercooler hoses, and you have oil build up there, it will sweat thru the hose and eventually drip on the floor.
When i saw this, i said: Impossible, the leaking oil 911 curse has returned.

Also, i will check the throttle body, and maybe i will change it, just to see if something happens. someone mentioned it.

let me know if you have other ideas.

Also, keep in mind that i have access to porsche Spare parts programme and i can pull out schematics and part numbers accoroding to vin.

I look for the parts myself..
Old 08-19-2019, 05:15 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Based on feedback from a group of owners (991.1 with the stumble), I can confirm that the following actions did not resolve the issue.
1. Spark plug replacement.
2. Pre Cat O2 Sensors replacement.
3. Throttle Body replacement.
4. High Octane fuel.

I hope this saves my brethren a few $$..

Quick Reply: What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?