Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023 | 12:43 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2024 | 12:42 AM
jtdr35gtr
Intermediate

This exact thing happens to me in my 991.2 gt3 and it's been almost 2 years since I've had the car. It's an annoying quirk I've found that I'm finally trying to figure out.

Did anyone on here find out why our cars do this?

Sorry to revive old posts. I replaced throttle body, map, air filters, plugs, did smoke test for vacuum leak...no change when letting off throttle abruptly as it does the small flutter. also idle has very small fluctuation maybe 25-50 rpm. not sure If that's normal but no other car I've had did that. otherwise drives great.

Last edited by jtdr35gtr; 02-12-2024 at 12:45 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-12-2024 | 04:45 PM
dannyk304
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtdr35gtr
This exact thing happens to me in my 991.2 gt3 and it's been almost 2 years since I've had the car. It's an annoying quirk I've found that I'm finally trying to figure out.

Did anyone on here find out why our cars do this?

Sorry to revive old posts. I replaced throttle body, map, air filters, plugs, did smoke test for vacuum leak...no change when letting off throttle abruptly as it does the small flutter. also idle has very small fluctuation maybe 25-50 rpm. not sure If that's normal but no other car I've had did that. otherwise drives great.
Have you tried the VVT solenoids? As to the RPM steadiness at idle - that range is pretty normal from what I've seen. I had it bad - about 200 RPM drop in idle with a burping sound that would precede it but that went away when I changed my throttle body. Now I go between 625-650 in normal and a much more steady 800 in sport. Our RPM gauges read live data as opposed to most other cars that are electronically and artificially steady. The stumble, however, is not normal and not sure anyone really has an answer. I wasn't aware that the 991.2 also suffered from it. I only experienced the stumble once in the 2.5 years I owned my 991.1 when I first got it, but I changed the VVT solenoids (chasing the idle issue) and I can say I have not experienced it since. Rather an easy change and not very expensive, one on each bank in between the plugs. I also changed the camshaft position sensors while there, again not sure that was necessary but they're also on the valve cover next to the plugs and the VVT solenoids and these are cheap (bought the Bosch sensors from FCP instead of the Porsche branded ones.) Good luck.
Old 02-12-2024 | 05:01 PM
Sajan
Pro

if you have a dramatic drop or fluctuations in RPM, sure the throttle body or VVT solenoids might need to be replaced.
but 25-50 rpm fluctuations is "normal".

as for the stumble.
two variations of it.
one is a dead stop stumble. no one knows the cause.
other is a little tug/hesitation/stutter... when car is climbing slowly through the 2 to 3K rpm range.

mine has DRMATICALLY improved after i replaced my engine oil cap.

I am wondering if the PCV valve/solenoid might need to be replaced. this thing:
https://dvizok.com.ua/ru/product/13969354193/
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-vapor-canister-purge-solenoid-boxster-cayman-por-9a111009321

Last edited by Sajan; 02-12-2024 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024 | 08:36 PM
jtdr35gtr
Intermediate

@Sajan That is interesting that the oil cap helped the stutter climbing 2-3k rpm. I wonder if that is related to pressure loss. I'll be trying this. At this point anything not very expensive I'll try.

Sometimes it's like my car doesn't know if I want gas or no gas as well. It sort of bounces slightly when I'm between throttle/ no throttle. I had a 997 turbo and it exhibited none of my issues described here, although these might be better classified as quirks.

I've tried replacing the throttle body (no change in idle stumble) but as suggested by @dannyk304 I think the cam solenoids might be next on my agenda. I've done everything else as mentioned above (plugs, vacuum test, tb, filters). Car does drive great aside from the idle and strange but small rpm flutter when letting off. I saw a few others posting about the same flutter on a gt3rs so not sure if this is just part of owning a high performance Porsche as opposed to other brands.

Again, my old 997 didn't exhibit any of these symptoms though. Do all 911's not filter out idle fluctuations?

I really appreciate the quick and friendly responses from everyone on here. I usually just read posts and rarely post myself. This is very helpful.
Old 02-13-2024 | 10:06 AM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by jtdr35gtr
@Sajan That is interesting that the oil cap helped the stutter climbing 2-3k rpm. I wonder if that is related to pressure loss. I'll be trying this. At this point anything not very expensive I'll try.

Sometimes it's like my car doesn't know if I want gas or no gas as well. It sort of bounces slightly when I'm between throttle/ no throttle. I had a 997 turbo and it exhibited none of my issues described here, although these might be better classified as quirks.

I've tried replacing the throttle body (no change in idle stumble) but as suggested by @dannyk304 I think the cam solenoids might be next on my agenda. I've done everything else as mentioned above (plugs, vacuum test, tb, filters). Car does drive great aside from the idle and strange but small rpm flutter when letting off. I saw a few others posting about the same flutter on a gt3rs so not sure if this is just part of owning a high performance Porsche as opposed to other brands.

Again, my old 997 didn't exhibit any of these symptoms though. Do all 911's not filter out idle fluctuations?

I really appreciate the quick and friendly responses from everyone on here. I usually just read posts and rarely post myself. This is very helpful.
can you post a video for this?

yours might be a whole different issue than the infamous stumble this thread is about..
Old 02-13-2024 | 01:47 PM
jtdr35gtr
Intermediate

here is a link to my car's idle (991.2) gt3. Just seems to fluctuate way more than would seem acceptable:

As @sampelligrino mentioned in post 397 of this thread my car also does the exact thing described when lifting off throttle, like there is a slight flutter/stumble when coming off throttle too quickly. Very similar to 2:04 in this video, see tach in video (no affiliation): flutter_liftingoffthrottleyoutube
Old 02-27-2024 | 06:40 PM
andredl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sajan
Well. I ordered a oil cap because I needed to drill a hole in the current one to measure the crankcase pressure...to test out the AOS.

I discovered my current oil cap is missing an o-ring! I could hear a little leak near the cap and when I held the cap tight, it stopped.
With the new oil cap (no sound/leaks), the car seemed to idle a little better when warm. Will report back in a few days after further observation.

Now here's the main point: I got a reading of -12inH2O.
According to LN engineering, the correct reading is
  • MA1 Nominal crankcase vacuum is -15.0” (-14.0” to -16.0”) of H2O (not HG).
https://lnengineering.com/products/aos.html?limit=all

COMMON CAUSES FOR LOW ENGINE VACUUM READING ON PORSCHE M9X AND LATER WATERCOOLED PORSCHE ENGINES
1. Missing engine oil cap and or oil cap O-ring.
2. Cracked or broken spark plug tubes, if applicable.
3. Disconnected or broken dipstick tube, if applicable.
4. Make sure the oil dipstick is fully seated, if applicable.
5. Anything that can leak air can leak oil and vice versa.
6. Torn AOS boot, broken or cracked oil filler tube, Dipstick and/or crankcase crossover accordion pipe.

COMMON CAUSES FOR HIGH ENGINE VACUUM READING ON PORSCHE M9X AND LATER WATERCOOLED PORSCHE ENGINES
The only thing that can cause an excessively high manometer vacuum reading is a faulty AOS and or sludge.

A new oil cap and rubber ring made my `15 C2S idle smoother, respond off idle better, and the stutter at 2200 rpm is largely gone. Thank you!
The following 2 users liked this post by andredl:
Sajan (02-27-2024), subshooter (02-27-2024)
Old 02-29-2024 | 02:28 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andredl
A new oil cap and rubber ring made my `15 C2S idle smoother, respond off idle better, and the stutter at 2200 rpm is largely gone. Thank you!
Doesn't it come with a rubber ring?
The following users liked this post:
andredl (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024 | 10:44 AM
jvandenberk
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Curvfun
My break-in period was "by the book" as well. Mine stumbles and shakes between 2 & 3K RPM's whether hot or cold. Below 2K and above 3K, it runs beautifully. If it's driven assertively through this range, the problem is of no consequence. But gradually going through this range in a neighborhood or city street causes a significant awareness of some sort of engine anomaly. The bumping and shuttering never goes away and affects the away I have to drive it just for a smooth acceleration experience. It's very disheartening, especially since some of you indicate you have no problem at all.

Wonder if the 991.2 has these issues resolved......
Yes, my car is a 991.2 Carrera4 from 2018. He has the same problem.

Last edited by jvandenberk; 03-03-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2024 | 10:53 AM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by jvandenberk
Yes, my car is a 991.2 carrer4 from 2018. He has the same problem.
don’t tell me the .2 cars have it.

nooooooooo
Old 03-03-2024 | 11:03 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

I’ve had the same issues as others with a very crude acceleration in this range with a PDK and a tune. Seems to run better in the manual mode as I’ve been playing around with this for the last months or so and there is definitely a difference between modes. Not sure why the dealers can’t confirm this and push for a fix as this has been going on for over. 10-12 or so and no one can seem to confirm and identify the cause, let alone come up with a solution. Really frustrating when you have a lot of money invested on a car that runs at these low ranges like an old carbureted Buick.
I’ve driven a lot of high end cars in my time and this is the only one that exhibits this strange behavior that no one can seem to solve.
Old 03-03-2024 | 01:15 PM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi
Doesn't it come with a rubber ring?
You can go to TRUE VALUE or ACE Hardware and just get a new rubber o-ring / flat washer that is the exact fit for about $3-4
Old 03-03-2024 | 01:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvandenberk
Yes, my car is a 991.2 Carrera4 from 2018. He has the same problem.
I have a 2018 C4 as well and the stumble issue is not there. Totally different engine. My 981 Boxster S had it until I replaced the oil cap with one that had the o-ring and the stumble is gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
GermanCarFan1 (03-05-2024), Sajan (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024 | 02:05 PM
andredl
Advanced

Yes

Quick Reply: What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?