Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 04:46 PM
__ Charley __
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I Just replaced 1 variocam solenoid and one valve lift solenoid.. Both on the same side (cyl 4-5-6)
Still stumble / jerk..
I am going to replace the other side probably next week.. I will Keep you in touch guys!
My next step should be throttle body but ill wait to see..
Old 09-28-2021, 11:00 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I was hoping solenoid change was the answer. Maybe it is for some. Anyone else change solenoid and noticed a change?
For me, the vehicle would idle rough when stopped. I also had CEL showing misfire in cylinder 1, 2, and 3. At some point, the engine would stop, but it started right back up to same problem. When the rough idle got worse, it cause transmission shifting to be rough as well and it would go to 7th gear while doing about 40 mph, which it shouldn't. I finally just changed the driver's side variocam solenoid, and 3000 miles later and it's been fine.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:07 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Can anyone make sense of these readouts? Not sure if these numbers are 'normal' or if they're an indication to try and replace the variocam solenoids.

All I know is my car has become progressively more annoying to drive lately. It's great when warmed up and when I keep the revs up.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:29 PM
cjrhoades
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting thread. My 981 2.7 also exhibits this hesitation/lurch issue at ~2800RPM under light throttle. The exhaust tone also changes and gets louder when it happens which became very apparent after installing a Borla catback. It's especially annoying when using cruise control on the rural highways and state roads around here since they change elevation so much. Almost every time the engine load increases when going up hill you can feel and hear the Variocam activate if you're in the right RPM range. I figured the cam changeover in these engines is just violent sometimes, but its odd that not everyone experiences it. I'll have to try that throttle reset procedure.

Last edited by cjrhoades; 10-06-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Can anyone make sense of these readouts? Not sure if these numbers are 'normal' or if they're an indication to try and replace the variocam solenoids.

All I know is my car has become progressively more annoying to drive lately. It's great when warmed up and when I keep the revs up.

Those readings are totally normal.
The following users liked this post:
koala (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 02:12 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Those readings are totally normal.
Thank you, I figured they probably were. That said, I'm gonna replace these solenoids anyway. If that doesn't help, then I'll order the Bosch equivalent throttle body and try that.
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (10-13-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Thank you, I figured they probably were. That said, I'm gonna replace these solenoids anyway. If that doesn't help, then I'll order the Bosch equivalent throttle body and try that.
In my case I swapped out my Throttle Body, I purchased a Bosch one online for about $150 USD from one of our large parts retailers. It's not hard, just a bit of pain as you need to remove the bumper etc. The idle and throttle response smoothed out.

BUT I also got Throttle body error codes that put me into limp mode. It's been 500+ miles and a month or so and the codes have not returned and the car runs noticeably smoother.

NOTE: I also have about 90,000 miles.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:09 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joec500
In my case I swapped out my Throttle Body, I purchased a Bosch one online for about $150 USD from one of our large parts retailers. It's not hard, just a bit of pain as you need to remove the bumper etc. The idle and throttle response smoothed out.

BUT I also got Throttle body error codes that put me into limp mode. It's been 500+ miles and a month or so and the codes have not returned and the car runs noticeably smoother.

NOTE: I also have about 90,000 miles.
Thanks, Joe! I guess in for a penny, in for a pound. I'll just replace with the Bosch one. I was planning to do the AFE intake this winter anyway!

Edit - found it here in Canada for $250 CAD directly from amazon.ca. I'll give that a try first before the solenoids as those were on backorder from Porsche anyway. Getting late in the driving season here so might as well try the throttle body first.

Last edited by koala; 10-08-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:26 PM
__ Charley __
Intermediate

Thanks, Joe! I guess in for a penny, in for a pound. I'll just replace with the Bosch one. I was planning to do the AFE intake this winter anyway!

Edit - found it here in Canada for $250 CAD directly from amazon.ca. I'll give that a try first before the solenoids as those were on backorder from Porsche anyway. Getting late in the driving season here so might as well try the throttle body first.

I Just replaced my TB.
Tech at porsche did a fuel trim reset procedure (normal when replacing important part of air admission..)

I had hesitations...
My idle was rough (look my vid)

I cannot believe it.. I have to drive the car for more kms but.. ALL GONE idle is Now rock steady and NO MORE hesitation.. These freaking kicks..

As i say.. I was thinking it was solenoids but after 200 km... NO MORE stumble /hesitation!!
I am very happy. Ill Keep you in touch in few more kms..!
Old 10-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

When I looked at my old throttle body it did look a little dirty, my guess is that you could just clean it out and it will probably work fine, but given the part was $150 here, I decided to swap it out as it takes a bit of time to take apart the rear end of the car. Good luck and let us know if that fixes your issue.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

for others here looking to replace their Throttle bodies on 991.1 cars. You can get 15% off when you sign up for emails and free shipping. This is the best price I have seen. My part was dropped shipped to me directly from Bosch USA.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM
Old 10-10-2021, 12:22 PM
__ Charley __
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joec500
for others here looking to replace their Throttle bodies on 991.1 cars. You can get 15% off when you sign up for emails and free shipping. This is the best price I have seen. My part was dropped shipped to me directly from Bosch USA.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM
Can you believe that my stealer wants 645$ CAD for that part...
Wow...!
Old 10-10-2021, 01:27 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Yeah the Calgary dealer wants $690 for the factory throttle body and $480 for the pair of solenoids. I always give them the opportunity, but they're typically just too high.

So glad the throttle body helped you guys. I'll let you know how it goes here. My car is booked for the 18th to get the transmission replaced again, too.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:26 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

What?! Transmission again?!
Old 10-10-2021, 02:35 PM
__ Charley __
Intermediate

Yeah the Calgary dealer wants $690 for the factory throttle body and $480 for the pair of solenoids. I always give them the opportunity, but they're typically just too high.

So glad the throttle body helped you guys. I'll let you know how it goes here. My car is booked for the 18th to get the transmission replaced again, too.
What happen with your tranny?
Throttle change my car! I am very happy made this change

Quick Reply: What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?