Sponsored by:

Expel Price Double Suntek?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 04:26 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Expel Price Double Suntek?

I called two different shops to get quotes on putting a clear shield on the hood, front bumpers, front fenders, and mirrors done on a new Guards Red C2S. The Expel shop quoted $1875 and needs the car for 3-4 days. The other place uses Suntek film. They use the Expel cutting system which I don't really understand. Their price was only $800. Is this normal? I won't track the car so i'm leaning towards the Suntek but wanted to get opinions. I've read through the majority of posts regarding comparisons and it seems like they are pretty close.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:26 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I assume that the suntek shop is doing a half hood, and the expel shop a full hood wrap.
If the suntek is a full hood, mirror and front fenders, you got an awesome deal
Old 11-20-2015, 07:52 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted 10% less for Suntek versus XPel

Last edited by PatrickC23; 11-20-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:20 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Xpel is considered the preferred wrap, is slightly thicker, but it's slightly more expensive. Suntek is better known for tint.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:18 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talked to shop, the didn't have the bumper in their price so that pushes it to $1,000. Still sounds like a good deal. One question, do people put wax over these films or do you just let them be?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Talked to shop, the didn't have the bumper in their price so that pushes it to $1,000. Still sounds like a good deal. One question, do people put wax over these films or do you just let them be?
My installer recommends waxing the film. As a matter of fact my installer waxes the film immediately after installation.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I think you need to make sure it's synthetic wax if you do - I've heard carnauba turns the film yellow.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I think you need to make sure it's synthetic wax if you do - I've heard carnauba turns the film yellow.
Here is what the manufacture "Xpel" recommends. I copied this directly from their website under care for product.

Can I wax the film when I wax the rest of the car?"

Unlike most paint protection films on the market, XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection film can be waxed and sealed just like your paint. Though XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant is still the preferred product, Any automotive wax or sealant may be used.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I detail my 4S at least 3 times a summer, griots orbital buffer using Blackfire products finishing with Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer and Blackfire Midnight Sun applied by hand. Detail the Xpel on my full hood, front bumper and rock guards. No issues looks great. I use a very soft pad and low RPM on the Xpel area.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:01 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

you are paying more for the installer, not for the material. I would look at both shops work in person, not in online photos. I regret having mine done by the place I went, but my preferred installer wasn't available and I am really not happy with the job I got. Fortunately, I only drive the car to work and back and dont got to meets or anything with it, so I'll live with it.

Also, I got the CQuartz Finest applied to it, along with the rest of the car. that part is pretty good, although I used the non-professional formula CQuartz and applied it myself on our cayenne, and it does just as well. Only thing is its a 2 year product as opposed to a 5 year.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:00 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Xpel is considered the preferred wrap, is slightly thicker, but it's slightly more expensive. Suntek is better known for tint.
I have to disagree, XPel is like Bose, they have great marketing but it doesn't make it the best choice. Nowadays, Suntek is the preferred choice by installers who do super cars. Suntek is more clear and brilliant and with less orange peel. As far a thickness, Suntek is thicker than XPel Utimate by manufacturer measurements .016mm vs .015mm. By independent measurments both are the same at .015mm.

XPel has the edge on the warranty, but the film should be changed every 3 years to avoid paint damage while taken out. All films will turn yellow if not properly maintained. I personally use XPel film cleaner and sealant on my Suntek film. No need to use wax or coatings on the film. Also, for white cars Suntek is the recommended choice.

As far as tint, my choice would be Formula 1 Pinnacle, way better than Suntek.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2015, 08:06 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had five wraps done over the past 8 years. The first was with 3M and the rest have been XPEL. I thought the 3M wrap was bad - both in terms of quality of the film and the capabilities of the installer. On the XPEL wraps the quality of the film has been fantastic -- however the first wrap was done by another installer that wasn't quite up to the requirements of the job (not the same person that did the 3M). The last three wraps were excellent -- my current installer really knows his stuff and is a perfectionist. He did the lower section on my 911 three times before he was satisfied with the fit. MJG911 said - you are paying for the installer and not the material. Make darn sure you get a top notch installer if you want a top notch result!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

I live in the eastern Pa area, Chester County. Can anyone recommend a top notch installer. I know Porsche of The Main Line has an installer come to their dealership but I'm looking for a really good Indy in the area.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:48 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I have to disagree, XPel is like Bose, they have great marketing but it doesn't make it the best choice. Nowadays, Suntek is the preferred choice by installers who do super cars. Suntek is more clear and brilliant and with less orange peel. As far a thickness, Suntek is thicker than XPel Utimate by manufacturer measurements .016mm vs .015mm. By independent measurments both are the same at .015mm. XPel has the edge on the warranty, but the film should be changed every 3 years to avoid paint damage while taken out. All films will turn yellow if not properly maintained. I personally use XPel film cleaner and sealant on my Suntek film. No need to use wax or coatings on the film. Also, for white cars Suntek is the recommended choice. As far as tint, my choice would be Formula 1 Pinnacle, way better than Suntek.
Thanks, that's some interesting info. Now that I think about it, I've never actually seen a PP film company do any marketing. I looked for consensus on a few forums, talked to a couple concourse detailers, then talked to three Bay Area installers that handle high end cars and they all recommended xpel, even though they offered both films. I guess that's really my only basis for preferring Xpel.
I do recall one saying the Suntek was better on a specific car color however. One also said he recommended Suntek if there was no customer preference because it's cheaper and it's easier to install than Xpel.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:01 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 187 Posts

Penn4S

Oakes detail in West Chester

Quick Reply: Expel Price Double Suntek?