penn4S Oakes detail in West Chester
ThankS ENCT. Have you seen their work?
Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
ThankS ENCT. Have you seen their work?

They had done a few of my cars with a basic correction and detail, I did not have them do any wraps. I had my Z06 wrapped with Suntek by another place and was not thrilled with the film. This time around I just had my local guy do Caramic Pro.
You can check out their web site and facebook. He does very high end cars, actually has a enclosed trailer for transport to and from. In this area he probably has the best reputation for attention to detail. I am taking a different approach with this car and I am just going to drive it, enjoy it, and get a new one in 2 years. (Switched to leasing for a change).
If I was going to get it wrapped I would use Oakes or Mainline Porsche.

Eric
Old 11-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 3M on one car (bought used) and the film was horrible. Took it to XPEL San Antonio, David Dick took care of removing the old and installation of the new XPEL ultimate.

I've had other films that yellowed (San Antonio sun/heat), XPEL have no issues.

Mike
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other question, I know your not supposed to put film on the headlights due to the delimitation issue, what about the fog lights? Is that okay?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:35 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 187 Posts

I had the headlights done on the Z06 with no issues, but I only had the car for a few months. I was not aware of a issue with the headlights.
Eric
Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 AM
asclearbra
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XPEL Ultimate

My name is Mike and I am with Appearance Solutions in Sacramento, CA. We specialized in paint protection film (Clear Bra) for high end sport/luxury vehicles and have since 2005. With that said, our clients place a significant amount of trust in our industry knowledge and expertise. At Appearance Solutions, we are dedicated to providing the absolute best products and materials, and spare no expense doing so. We have thoroughly tested all "comparable" films on the market, and our rigorous testing (real world conditions) is a key component to guarantee we are continuing to use the very best. That is why we only offer one brand of film, XPEL (Ultimate or Stealth). The clarity, durability, quality, warranty and consistency of XPEL is unmatched.

The issue here seems to be the discrepancy of price between XPEL Ultimate and Suntek. In this particular case, it is difficult to weigh in on the discrepancy of pricing without knowing a little more information. The $800 price is consistent with a partial kit (ie. Partial hood &fenders). The $1,845 price is consistent with a full kit (ie. Full hood & fenders). My advise would be to get clarification, if you haven’t already, on what both companies are offering and what additional services are included with those prices.

A key component in the clear bra decision-making process comes down to the above mentioned issue, price/value. In the words of Warren Buffett, “Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.” Value is the benefit you are receiving and is completely subjective. One potential clear bra client may not assign the same value to the same benefit of another potential client. For example, here at Appearance Solutions, every vehicle we take in for clear bra (brand new or a few years old, doesn't matter) receives one of our paint correction/polishing service and exterior sealant at no additional charge. We are the only shop in the Sacramento area that provides this service, both in-house and at no additional cost, with every clear bra installation. This is theoretically the last time the painted areas of the vehicle that are being clear bra’ed can ever have the opportunity of being significantly improved. This crucial step insures each panel is its very best and guarantees your paint will have the best clarity, depth and shine before applying XPEL Ultimate. Potential Client-A considers the “correction/polishing” and “exterior sealant” as a “value” and is willing to pay a premium price for this added benefit. While Potential Client-B, may not value the added benefit and is strictly price conscious.

Whatever Potential Client you may be, one important piece of advice I can give is to visit the shop or individual you are considering and take a look at their work first. This is cheap insurance, so you do not make a costly mistake. Clear Bra is an “art” and is something you should examine in person before making your decision. No two companies are alike, and for the most part, clear bra installations vary from company to company. So before basing a decision solely on price, visit the shop, and consider the value of what you are getting for your money. There is an old saying; “the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Did I miss pics of the new car?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:58 PM
asclearbra
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
One other question, I know your not supposed to put film on the headlights due to the delimitation issue, what about the fog lights? Is that okay?
There were some reported cases on the early model 991's where the headlights had a manufacturer defect, causing the headlight to delaminate. The cars affected were sporadic, and it was advised at the time to not apply PPF to the headlights. We have started to apply XPEL Ultimate back on the later model 991's and haven't had any issues.

As far as the fog-lights, there were never any known issues with those, so you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

My detailer used both XPEL and Suntek. Both are priced the same for the same job. I prefer the Suntek brand due to some research I did. Both film thickness are the same. XPEL adhesive thickness is a minute more than Suntek.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:05 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
My detailer used both XPEL and Suntek. Both are priced the same for the same job. I prefer the Suntek brand due to some research I did. Both film thickness are the same. XPEL adhesive thickness is a minute more than Suntek.
Do not have car yet, have looked into the protection thing and have settled on an installer who can do the clear as well as modesta...

He installs both Xpel & suntek, same price. Said Xpel has longer warranty but suntek better for darker cars. I don't doubt his opinion, seems like he knows his stuff.... I'll go Xpel, have a white car in the way. Plus modesta
Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent information here. I will definitely be going Suntek for my GT4.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asclearbra
There were some reported cases on the early model 991's where the headlights had a manufacturer defect, causing the headlight to delaminate. The cars affected were sporadic, and it was advised at the time to not apply PPF to the headlights. We have started to apply XPEL Ultimate back on the later model 991's and haven't had any issues.

As far as the fog-lights, there were never any known issues with those, so you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.
I had my '14 991 C2S done by an Xpel installer that did not know about the lights...he damaged both of my headlights. It is still an issue period. You are good enough to get the piece on right the first time and with good technique maybe but the film can delaminate the coating if not on install then removal must be done even more carefully. Anyway it is an issue still.

My fog lights did survive just fine so I agree with that.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
Nowadays, Suntek is the preferred choice by installers who do super cars.
XPel has the edge on the warranty, but the film should be changed every three years. Also, for white cars Suntek is the recommended choice.
No disrespect intended but all three statements are sweeping generalizations.

1. Can you quote a source? Ferrari, MB, Aston, Porsche, etc in the Seattle all use shops that use Xpel. And they "spec" Xpel. Two shops share this market for new cars. They also do a very high percentage of aftermarket high end cars.

2. What is the source for the "replace after three years" claim? That is in conflict with my local Seattle are experience (hold the "the sun never shines in Seattle" laughter please).

3. Again - what is the source of the statement regarding Suntek being better for white cars? I'm REALLY interested because our "new" C4s cab is white and I'm having it wrapped in the next couple weeks. If there is a credible source it could/would influence my decision. Maybe.

I'm just looking for backup to try and get away from sweeping Internet generalizations. If anyone can speak to the opposite POV please do.

TIA
gordon
Old 01-06-2016, 08:11 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by beaverlake
No disrespect intended but all three statements are sweeping generalizations.

1. Can you quote a source? Ferrari, MB, Aston, Porsche, etc in the Seattle all use shops that use Xpel. And they "spec" Xpel. Two shops share this market for new cars. They also do a very high percentage of aftermarket high end cars.

2. What is the source for the "replace after three years" claim? That is in conflict with my local Seattle are experience (hold the "the sun never shines in Seattle" laughter please).

3. Again - what is the source of the statement regarding Suntek being better for white cars? I'm REALLY interested because our "new" C4s cab is white and I'm having it wrapped in the next couple weeks. If there is a credible source it could/would influence my decision. Maybe.

I'm just looking for backup to try and get away from sweeping Internet generalizations. If anyone can speak to the opposite POV please do.

TIA
gordon
I'm looking for all the same answers as my car will be wrapped on the 16th. I tentatively picked XPel but want the clearer/thinner application.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:31 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Don't cut corners and make your' decision based on cost.

This is an ongoing wrap nightmare from another forum.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...r-install.html

Quick Reply: Expel Price Double Suntek?