Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now received information from Porsche Germany through my OPC.

There would be no induction or cooling issues having a ducktail fitted to a GTS and not changing the GTS grill to a Carrera grill.

The only issue is from a legislation point of view, which is: only 3 brake lights should be visible on the car at anyone time.

The standard Carrera grill that should be fitted with a ducktail has a blanking plate installed to cover the original grill. And I presume that on a standard Carrera (without a ducktail), when the spoiler is raised and the spoiler brake light is visible the grill brake light does not light up and is not visible.

So all I will have to do is disconnect the GTS grill brake light and cover it up. Then the ducktail brake light will be the "third" light..

Hurrah, success... Now all I need is the car..
Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

and there we have it!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....

There would be no induction or cooling issues having a ducktail fitted to a GTS and not changing the GTS grill to a Carrera grill.

The only issue is from a legislation point of view, which is: only 3 brake lights should be visible on the car at anyone time.

The standard Carrera grill that should be fitted with a ducktail has a blanking plate installed to cover the original grill. And I presume that on a standard Carrera (without a ducktail), when the spoiler is raised and the spoiler brake light is visible the grill brake light does not light up and is not visible.

So all I will have to do is disconnect the GTS grill brake light and cover it up. Then the ducktail brake light will be the "third" light..

good to know!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Correct. And isn't the Club Coupe a GTS with ducktail? And I believe the CC may have the standard Carrerra or non-GTS grill...

You sure about this? The C4/C4S has an additional rear light bar -- it isn't necessarily a brake-function light but would be a "4th" light on the rear.

That is also correct. As soon as you raise the spoiler in any scenario the "upper" rear brake light in the grill assembly is non-functional. But this may have more to do with the fact that it can't be seen rather than a legislative requirement. Not sure actually. But it isn't view-able with the spoiler up in any case....

So all I will have to do is disconnect the GTS grill brake light and cover it up. Then the ducktail brake light will be the "third" light.
You can disconnect the light very easily.... If you don't like the "tape-over" approach. But I seriously would just let it go and if for some reason you get the dealer or someone complaining just pull the plug out. From road-level I don't think it is view-able with the ducktail on....
Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

If this is the case, then I can just replace the grill afterwards since I ordered the duck tail. Anyone have any idea how much this should cost with labor? I see the part is around $1200.
Also, how do you plan on covering it up?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great persistence! Now hurry up and get that car!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:35 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Will the dash throw an error code with the grill brake light disabled?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
I would imagine so ... maybe it can be coded out by the dealer.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Well not if the harness is used to energize the new light on the duck.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Actually good point, I am doing the reverse, ordered the ducktail with the GTS, so my grill will have no 3rd brake light. I just need to swap out the grills, only dilemma is what to cover the brake light slot in the GTS grill with.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:13 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
The removed rear spoiler brake light is used to feed the ducktail brake light..

As quoted on site..."The duct tail spoiler comes with the cut out to accommodate a 3rd brake light you can use the existing one from the factory popup spoiler."

Quick Reply: Anyone know why?