Sponsored by:

Anyone know why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know why?

Does anyone know why you can not fit a "ducktail" onto a GTS without changing the rear grill.

Both Porsche and Suncoast say the grill must be changed when a "ducktail" is fitted.

Note #2: For GTS models, the rear deck grille must be replaced to the standard version as shown. The Black GTS grilles must be omitted. The GTS kit shown here comes with the standard grille (at an additional cost), must also be painted to match.

I would like to put a ducktail on my PTS GTS when it arrives, but keep the black GTS grill, which stands out nicely against Mexico blue..

Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Have never read an "official" statement. We've all assumed it has to do with the air flow differences between the grills and the ducktail somehow changing that. This has come up before, and I've asked around with no concrete answer.

FYI: You could also paint the standard grill gloss black as well.

Last edited by STG; 11-01-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:37 PM
jgreer902
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Love Mexico Blue. Love the ducktail. Black grill less impactful. I'd take the duck and diss the grill
Old 11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Do the duck, and perhaps you can wrap the grill in high gloss black.

I will post a picture of my ***. The 2 small grills along the rear are still black and give a great contrast.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:03 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Id like to know the definitive answer as well, but seem to recall that the GTS wing raises at at different angle than the S or regular wing... this may mean that the GTS grill wouldn't physically fit with the ducktail piece mounted.... is the moveable wing part number different on the GTS than a regular Carrera???
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by SJJ28
Id like to know the definitive answer as well, but seem to recall that the GTS wing raises at at different angle than the S or regular wing... this may mean that the GTS grill wouldn't physically fit with the ducktail piece mounted.... is the moveable wing part number different on the GTS than a regular Carrera???
I think the GTS wing raises to a steeper angle than a standard Carrera, but the angle is also affected by you roof configuration too. (with or without sunroof).

Originally Posted by JAM2
Do the duck, and perhaps you can wrap the grill in high gloss black.
The 2 small grills along the rear are still black and give a great contrast.
Its not just the grill colour I want to keep, I like the retro looking GTS grill compared to the 3 slat non GTS grill.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I could be wrong, but is the GTS grille 'longer' than the std one?

If its the same physical dimensions as the 'std' one, then I have to imagine that its to do with the airflow
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I just painted my grills black
Different car but easy modName:  photo276.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  262.4 KB
Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Anyone know why?

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
I think the GTS wing raises to a steeper angle than a standard Carrera, but the angle is also affected by you roof configuration too. (with or without sunroof).Its not just the grill colour I want to keep, I like the retro looking GTS grill compared to the 3 slat non GTS grill.
The angle becomes steeper in conjunction with PASM equipped cars. The standard GTS has the same angle as the 991s.
I don't see any harm in trying the duck with the 9 slot black grill except for possibly blocking the brake light from the rear view. You would have two brake lights and will have to possibly splice the harness if you would like to operate both.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
The angle becomes steeper in conjunction with PASM equipped cars. The standard GTS has the same angle as the 991s.
I don't see any harm in trying the duck with the 9 slot black grill except for possibly blocking the brake light from the rear view. You would have two brake lights and will have to possibly splice the harness if you would like to operate both.
I think you might have hit on the answer ...
Old 11-02-2015, 02:45 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

The brake light modification is not a problem, and I would think that grill size is not an issue either as all 991 coupes have the same size spoiler or ducktail.

So the only issue really could be some type of air flow issue affecting either the engine induction or cooling. But as the cooling system is all in the front of the car the only theoretical problem could be with engine induction. Am I correct in my very basic thinking?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The brake light modification is not a problem, and I would think that grill size is not an issue either as all 991 coupes have the same size spoiler or ducktail.

So the only issue really could be some type of air flow issue affecting either the engine induction or cooling. But as the cooling system is all in the front of the car the only theoretical problem could be with engine induction. Am I correct in my very basic thinking?
that was my original thoughts on this also...
Old 11-02-2015, 03:52 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

The angle becomes steeper in conjunction with PASM equipped cars..
I think you mean cars with optional " Sport PASM " package, to counter balance the larger , lower front chin spoiler

The deployable rear spoiler angle also gets steeper the more the optional sunroof is retracted , on any 991, regardless of suspension , to maintain proper aero balance , which I think is really cool .

I never knew that happened until my wife was following me one day on the freeway as I popped open the sunroof ...we switched cars after that and the simultaneous movements are like watching the synchronized action of the leading and trailing edge wing flaps of an airliner at take off or landing

Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Hopefully the angle of the rear spoiler will be redundant when I fit this.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13...r-Porsche-991/

Just ordered, so all I need now is a paintbrush and some paint.... oh and the car...

The duck tail spoiler comes with the cut out to accommodate a 3rd brake light, you can use the existing one from the factory popup spoiler.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hopefully the angle of the rear spoiler will be redundant when I fit this.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13...r-Porsche-991/

Just ordered, so all I need now is a paintbrush and some paint.... oh and the car...

The duck tail spoiler comes with the cut out to accommodate a 3rd brake light, you can use the existing one from the factory popup spoiler.
excellent ... you will have to post details...

Oh BTW one idea, I would attempt installation of this *prior* to having the
part painted, that way if it all goes '**** up' for whatever reason, you have
an unpainted part to resell/return ...

(a very early) merry christmas!

Quick Reply: Anyone know why?