Sponsored by:

Carerra 991 GTS, does the power seem much over the S version

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 03:00 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carerra 991 GTS, does the power seem much over the S version

Just wondering on the Carerra 991.1 GTS vs the Carrera 991.1 S version for power. I know the GTS has 30 more hp. Do you guys that have driven both feel the 30 hp difference is very noticeable, and if so is it more in the get up and go, midrange, or high end?

I drove a Carrera S before ordering my GTS. But never drove them back to back to tell. I just knew of the power kit on the GTS and the factory extras is all. My car won't be here till mid December. Thanks
Old 10-31-2015, 03:59 PM
jets
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

There is more, just not too dramatic a difference.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jets
There is more, just not too dramatic a difference.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2015, 04:21 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its nearly 10% more power... There is no flat spot at 4000rpm, the car pulls all the way through the rev range. It sounds far better too and the cabin drone is a lot less..
Old 10-31-2015, 04:28 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Really cool. Thanks
Old 10-31-2015, 06:11 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Here's the deal with power feel in a Porsche. Most people buy the cars on specs....a 400 hp (S) is better than 350 hp base, right? And 430 hp (GTS) is better than the 400 hp (S). And there is a flaw in that logic. People buy horsepower, but they want torque - and that confuses many. This is why you read so much that some say their cars feel gutless, and they want more kick.

If you get into an Aston Martin after a Porsche, or a Ferrari 599 and give it some gas you will go "Oh Wow! This is what I've been missing!" because those cars have huge torque, and like it or not, unless you are on a race track - that's where you live. From 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm is where most of us drive day in and day out. A Porsche engine is a horsepower engine, and it gets its kicks at 4,500 rpm to redline. Who drives around like that? Not many of us, or we'd not have our license. At redline in 2nd gear you're close to 80 mph +. You can get in a base 991, an S, or a GTS and below 4,200 rpm they all feel pretty much gutless, that's the nature of the engine. So you gotta wind them up and really get them on the pipe to feel that HP difference between the difference of the series. That's going to be on a main straight of a race track somewhere out there.

Not sure if that answers any questions - if it doesn't just consider it a rant. lol

Last edited by drcollie; 10-31-2015 at 11:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
kai5733 (08-18-2022), SDM5 (01-20-2023)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:17 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You can get in a base 991, an S, or a GTS and below 4,200 rpm they all feel pretty much gutless, that's the nature of the engine.
Unless you get a 991.2
Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Here's the deal with power feel in a Porsche. Most people buy the cars on specs....a 400 hp (S) is better than 350 hp base, right? And 430 hp (GTS) is better than the 400 hp (S). And there is a flaw in that logic. People buy horsepower, but they want torque - and that confuses many. This is why you read so much that some say their cars feel gutless, and they want more kick.

If you get into an Aston Martin after a Porsche, or a Ferrari 599 and give it some gas you will go "Oh Wow! This is what I've been missing!" because those cars have huge torque, and like it or not, unless you are on a race track - that's where you live. From 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm is where most of us drive day in and day out. A Porsche engines is a horsepower engine, and it gets its kicks at 4,500 rpm to redline. Who drives around like that? Not many of us, or we'd not have our license. At redline in 2nd gear you're close to 80 mph +. You can get in a base 991, an S, or a GTS and below 4,200 rpm they all feel pretty much gutless, that's the nature of the engine. So you gotta wind them up and really get them on the pipe to feel that HP difference between the difference of the series. That's going to be on a main straight of a race track somewhere out there.

Not sure if that answers any questions - if it doesn't just consider it a rant. lol
Very interesting. Thanks
Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get into an Aston Martin after a Porsche, or a Ferrari 599 and give it some gas you will go "Oh Wow! This is what I've been missing!" because those cars have huge torque, and like it or not, unless you are on a race track - that's where you live. From 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm is where most of us drive day in and day out. A Porsche engines is a horsepower engine, and it gets its kicks at 4,500 rpm to redline. Who drives around like that? Not many of us, or we'd not have our license. At redline in 2nd gear you're close to 80 mph +. You can get in a base 991, an S, or a GTS and below 4,200 rpm they all feel pretty much gutless, that's the nature of the engine. So you gotta wind them up and really get them on the pipe to feel that HP difference between the difference of the series. That's going to be on a main straight of a race track somewhere out there.

This is a good analysis. I would add that all 3.8 versions have the same torque, just at different RPMs. So a 991 GT3 has the same torque as a 991 C2S. So why does one feel faster than the other? The answer lies in how fast the revs climb. The faster revving engines will have less resistance to revving, things like lighter pistons, better aligned camshafts, lighter rods (Ti), flywheel weight, drive-axle rotating mass, etc.

Try a base 3.4 and compare that to a 3.8. The 3.8 has a lot more torque, but it doesn't rev as fast. You can detect how fast a 3.4 revs vs. a 3.8. I bought a base because of that. It is just much more wild - and so more fun to me.

I just drove a GT4 I am thinking about buying, and that car felt slower than a 991 GTS - but it does not have the same torque.

Do you remember the 3.0 V10 F1 cars of a while back? Those cars had less torque than our cars. Horsepower is theoretical, it is calculated by measuring torque. That is what a dyno does.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:37 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally like the free revving lack of low end torque on the 911 engine, I love to rev the hell out of them, On the street in a torquey engine , I feel like I don't even need to work the engine that much. To me, pushing the engine is fun, I don't really care about ultimate 0 to 60 time. These free revving lower torque engines are on the way out everywhere so its and end of an era

Now on the track, give me more torque and Ill be a happy man. My two cents
Old 10-31-2015, 09:09 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

pretty much what the dr. says--it's about the torque baby and where the power band is with the GTS it hits max torque (325 ft/lb[?]) at 5750rpm but i think it also falls lower than in the S-- I thought I read somewhere around 3750 rpm but a quick search came up empty handed--
Old 10-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

The S hits higher torque at lower rpm than the powerkit, I think getawayer's review of the gts he explains this pretty well. Chk it out:

Skip to 9:00 to get to the meaty part, but worth watching the whole thing. At ~10:15 he talks about peak torque in S, GTS, and GT3.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Very Nice!
Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

The torque value was what swayed me to a 991.2 Lot's of torque at lower RPM but still good power up top.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:22 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

To be honest it was more of a curious thing for me. Having traded in a twin turbo GTR for the GTS. The GTR was crazy fast. But it was the whole package of the Porsche that sold me on the car. The numbers are so small even between the 991.1 and 991.2. Like 2 tenths of a second for the 2 I believe in quickness but 1 mph better on the GTS top end I think it was off the site.

When the new GTS comes out if it does, that will be interesting in power difference. I respect your reasoning of choice. But for me, chasing HP all the time was expensive lol. Had a Viper ACR, Z06, GTR, Shelby GT500. Man! I am glad I don't have any other money losing hobbies lol Oh and a 981
Cayman S.

To be honest the Cayman although it was the slowest of the bunch, it was the most fun. Thats the one I traded toward the GTR. The Nissan was a good car, got looks etc, but the exhaust note I didn't dig and it rode pretty raw. And I was chasing HP when I traded the Cayman. Live and learn for me.

Quick Reply: Carerra 991 GTS, does the power seem much over the S version