Sponsored by:

Carrera vs. Carrera S brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish996
I’m in need of discs also as per my Indy....they were resurfaced about 12,000kms ago. So what about this as a plan....upgraded S calipers bought used and shipped.....new S discs from local Porsche parts and I think I saw somewhere someone using a factory pad from the GT3....

Do you find a noticeable increase in braking power on yours now after you’ve had them a while compared to stock?
The guy who helps set my car up for the track recommended going to six piston up front. I like breaking capability more than HP on the track (street too) I think the difference is more about heat and longevity on the track. My base breaks lost stopping power after a few laps. Changing out fluid certainly helped. Day to day street driving there is no real difference. The base brakes are actually surprisingly good.

I upgraded mine for two reasons:
1. It was time to replaced pads & rotors front and rear. I found a set on a great deal from another Rennlist member who upgraded to PCCB. They had less than 1500 miles so basically new. It made financial sense.
2. I track my car. For street the base brakes are more than capable.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:53 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Truble10
The guy who helps set my car up for the track recommended going to six piston up front. I like breaking capability more than HP on the track (street too) I think the difference is more about heat and longevity on the track. My base breaks lost stopping power after a few laps. Changing out fluid certainly helped. Day to day street driving there is no real difference. The base brakes are actually surprisingly good.

I upgraded mine for two reasons:
1. It was time to replaced pads & rotors front and rear. I found a set on a great deal from another Rennlist member who upgraded to PCCB. They had less than 1500 miles so basically new. It made financial sense.
2. I track my car. For street the base brakes are more than capable.
Says a track person through and through!

Going fast is optional (more HP).
Stopping is mandatory (if not - you crash).
Old 11-17-2020, 04:45 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Anyone else go to Turbo brakes or 380mm rotors? I really wish the AP J hook or Girodisc kit went to 380mm instead of 350mm... If I am going to spend the money, and we have same caliper as GT3 in front, we might as well use GT3 sized rotor too.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:29 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Anyone else go to Turbo brakes or 380mm rotors? I really wish the AP J hook or Girodisc kit went to 380mm instead of 350mm... If I am going to spend the money, and we have same caliper as GT3 in front, we might as well use GT3 sized rotor too.
Brembo has a kit with 6-piston 380mm discs front and 4-piston 380mm rear:
https://www.carid.com/brembo/gt-seri...m2-9040a5.html
https://www.carid.com/brembo/gt-seri...p2-9036a5.html

AP Makes them as well - 6-piston 380mm disc front and 4-piston 380mm rear.
https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...-boxstercayman
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...91-997-718-981

I do believe that Essex has a sale going on right now, which would save about $800 off the AP setup.

I'm not sure what Porsche parts would cost for GT3 calipers and rotors.

Quick Reply: Carrera vs. Carrera S brakes