Sponsored by:

Politics, religion and transmission preference

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:33 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Politics, religion and transmission preference

No, this isn't yet another MT vs PDK thread.

It just occurs to me that it's best to treat the topic like politics and religion are treated. But unlike those topics, this one is likely to have a finite period of relevance. In the meantime, I, for one, intend to embrace coexistence and respect for other people's choices and preferences.

Peace.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Now, if only the politicians would get on board.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Friendly amendment to add: NA vs forced induction
Old 10-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't care what transmission you like to use.

What bothers me about the topic is the trolls on either side that are unable to understand that enjoyment of an automobile's transmission is a subjective thing. What someone enjoys is their choice and spouting how much you enjoy your choice isn't going to make them enjoy it nor will it change their mind. While you're entitled to spout your opinion it only leads to derailed threads and negative emotions.

So as far as the topic of transmission choice goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:42 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about we not tie our identities to cars? Be objective and respect each others opinion? Like true gentleman. Then we can discuss and enjoy ourselves, perhaps learn something from each other rather than getting offended.

Some like PDK some like MT, so what? As long as there is a choice we are all happy. I routinely get spanked at the track by 991 GT3s in my 997.1 GT3. But once we get out of the cars and talk to each other, it is clear who is performance oriented and who is not.

There is demand for MT Porsche track cars - see the 997 GT3 prices after the PDK only GT3 announcement. But clearly there is demand for the 991 PDK GT3. Two camps. Two different types of people. No right camp nor wrong camp.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:04 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Great point, JD. Coexistence is a mind-set that should be adopted in every culture. There would be no such thing as WAR if the concept of coexistence was alive-and-well.

I was a PDK guy for 15 months. I enjoyed the fact it gave my multi-operated tortured back and legs some rest. However, it also lulled me into a mind-numbing state since I was not challenged. I could not tell I was driving a Porsche; my problem. I CURED my problem (and it was my problem alone) by selling the 2013 PDK and ordering a MT GTS. I have NO value judgments to make about people who prefer PDK. I respect the sophistication that they appreciate. AND, it is sophistication!

My brother does not respect the fact that I like mustard and onions on hotdogs and he likes ketchup. So much for filial piety. It is a good thing he dislikes Porsches. It keeps us communicative.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

JD - just because you hit the bee hive with a nerf bat, doesn't mean the bees won't get pissed.
And by "bees" I mean the MT guys who fervently believe any Porsche owner with a PDK is a wuss (or worse) and can't wait to say so. It's Neanderthal and tiring, but now that you've broached the subject, stand by...
Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

There's way too much reasonable discourse in this thread thus far. Imagine that allowing, people to enjoy their car as they see fit. Next we'll be locking arms and singing Kumbayah!
T
Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
There's way too much reasonable discourse in this thread thus far. Imagine that allowing, people to enjoy their car as they see fit. Next we'll be locking arms and singing Kumbayah! T
Right - God forbid!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Winegums
I personally don't care what transmission you like to use.

What bothers me about the topic is the trolls on either side that are unable to understand that enjoyment of an automobile's transmission is a subjective thing.
This. /thread

The zealots who argue that one is 'better' than the other, particularly when better to them ignores pure performance factors, are tiresome. Porsche makes two awesome gearboxes for the 991.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
This. /thread

The zealots who argue that one is 'better' than the other, particularly when better to them ignores pure performance factors, are tiresome. Porsche makes two awesome gearboxes for the 991.
but for how much longer?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:24 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy

It just occurs to me that it's best to treat the topic like politics and religion are treated. But unlike those topics, this one is likely to have a finite period of relevance. In the meantime, I, for one, intend to embrace coexistence and respect for other people's choices and preferences.

Peace.
+1
We are obviously very lucky folks to have had the experience to drive our Porsches (and other makes I am sure). Enjoy the experience!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
but for how much longer?
What'd they say recently, 7-8 more years in the new cars minimum? By the time it's no longer possible to find a new or lightly used car with a full three pedal manual transmission, we'll all be either in the rest home or dead. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
What'd they say recently, 7-8 more years in the new cars minimum? By the time it's no longer possible to find a new or lightly used car with a full three pedal manual transmission, we'll all be either in the rest home or dead. I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm worried about being dead in 7-8 years ... actually I'm not too keen on being in a rest home then either!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy

Peace.
The solution is easy....two of each:

Cayman S and 60th GTS CC....PDK
911 SC and GT3.....Manual

Best of both worlds!

Quick Reply: Politics, religion and transmission preference