Sponsored by:

Politics, religion and transmission preference

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
How are you getting 'faster than an S' from that video, given there's no lap time recorded and the video skips forward? Was there a time quoted somewhere? There's no official Laguna lap for the 991.2 up on Fastest Laps yet.
I asked the driver of the one that was circulating on Friday how it felt when he pulled off the track. He told me had a 991S and the turbo Carrera was was faster everywhere than his was at Laguna Seca. He was hot to get into the Carrera S.

I have no reason to believe he was not telling the truth given the area under the torque curve for the Carrera 991.2 and likely speeds there - 70 -90 mph turns and ~120 straights.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Grunty
So what you are saying is those annoying robocalls that happen while you are peacefully watching the Lawrence Welk show, the ones that begin "Attention Seniors!....) are hitting their intended target audience for a change? 😄
What? You mean you haven't lowered your interest rates? Next time she calls I'll put her in touch.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So what you are saying is those annoying robocalls that happen while you are peacefully watching the Lawrence Welk show, the ones that begin "Attention Seniors!....) are hitting their intended target audience for a change? ��
Ha ha! Well played.
No, I'm just saying that I'm a Luddite.

I know, 'so why the Porsche?' I don't know, leave me alone! Not everyone is completely logical about their choices in life. All I'm saying is that certain goals, styles, preferences occur in life, whether that first Porsche you see in your youth, or someone you admire when you have nothing and are nothing, or a character in a book or a movie: Who knows? I just don't like 'flavor of the month' style, or gadgets, or clothing, or whatever. Never did, after perhaps adolescence. Hence, the permanent manual transmission. When they make a voice activated computer controlled gearbox that asks how you would like to drive today, and where: I won't have one.

And BTW: That Lawrence Welk is quite the bandleader, is it not so?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
I have a manual transmission for the same reason that I own a 1917 30-06, 1944 Remington Rand .45, only cotton, wool or leather clothing, and only buy old books. And an 80 year old dial phone on my desk. ...I don't know exactly what that reason is, precisely. But, that's why.
You need to get rid of the aircraft pic. Take the train.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
PDK/Manual, Turbo/NA? Bend your mind around this faster than S non S driven by a Porsche deity: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbLrfNV3Kc4 Back to moaning about vertical vs horizontal grills anyone?
Why are they not wearing helmets?
Every track event I have driven on, helmets were a must.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
You need to get rid of the aircraft pic. Take the train.
I believe I will retain the xb70 Valkyrie right where it is. It is a classic unto itself, as is the YB 49 flying wing. Fragments of both of which I have, framed in my office.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS MT

Originally Posted by freeman
Great point, JD. Coexistence is a mind-set that should be adopted in every culture. There would be no such thing as WAR if the concept of coexistence was alive-and-well.

I was a PDK guy for 15 months. I enjoyed the fact it gave my multi-operated tortured back and legs some rest. However, it also lulled me into a mind-numbing state since I was not challenged. I could not tell I was driving a Porsche; my problem. I CURED my problem (and it was my problem alone) by selling the 2013 PDK and ordering a MT GTS. I have NO value judgments to make about people who prefer PDK. I respect the sophistication that they appreciate. AND, it is sophistication!

My brother does not respect the fact that I like mustard and onions on hotdogs and he likes ketchup. So much for filial piety. It is a good thing he dislikes Porsches. It keeps us communicative.
+1
Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Deleted. Link appears elsewhere.

Last edited by Mechanic; 10-03-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Why are they not wearing helmets?
Every track event I have driven on, helmets were a must.
They make exceptions for press demonstration runs when you have five overall victories at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, three at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and two at the 12 Hours of Sebring; the 1988 Trans-Am title, two IMSA GT Championship titles and 23 wins, three Norelco Cup championships, a SuperCar title and 18 IndyCar starts.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are we really debating, here?

Porsche just officially stated that MT is less than 10% of 991 sales. It's no longer a business proposition because they give you this transmission for free when ordering. It's merely a halo device to keep their legacy image alive, period.

Those of us who spec this device are an after thought, really. No need to debate this issue any further.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:14 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left

Porsche just officially stated that MT is less than 10% of 991 sales. It's no longer a business proposition because they give you this transmission for free when ordering. It's merely a halo device to keep their legacy image alive, period.

Those of us who spec this device are an after thought, really. No need to debate this issue any further.
Why do they even offer the 911, Boxster, and Cayman for sale? They make the vast majority of their profits sellings SUVs and sedans. Truly the Cayenne and Macan are much better sports cars than the 911, Cayman, and Boxster since they sell more of them. Porsche is basically an SUV maker that makes sports cars on the side. They don't really need the sports cars anymore except for marketing. So if they get rid of the MT, why not get rid of the sports cars?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left

The real question is why are 10% 911s sold MT. Because Porsche wants the 911 to be a luxury GT coupe. Why are women driving these cars with high heels? Why have these cars become "luxury commodities" to professionals? They used to be expensive sports cars for drivers who could afford them. Now they are being seen as just another luxury GT car. Why because Porsche wants that.

You want a current Porsche sports car? Get a 981. This from a 997 GT3 owner, 987 former owner, and now a 991 owner.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
They make exceptions for press demonstration runs when you have five overall victories at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, three at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and two at the 12 Hours of Sebring; the 1988 Trans-Am title, two IMSA GT Championship titles and 23 wins, three Norelco Cup championships, a SuperCar title and 18 IndyCar starts.
While I think that helmet requirements are goofy in a lot of events (You're going to roll a Porsche at an autocross in a parking lot? Really?) I'd say that all of those reasons you listed are good reasons to make the driver wear one.

Even the slightest possibility of something going wrong, when multiplied by the risk of killing someone like Haywood in the car you're introducing, should be enough to give dealers and marketing people nightmares. Meanwhile the lawyers would have a very different sort of dream, the kind that ends up in a laundry basket.

So, if I'm running the show, Hurley gets a brain bucket.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:50 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

What a grumpy exchange that JD started out mildly. Why don't we just cut if off and continue to be friends?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
What a grumpy exchange that JD started out mildly. Why don't we just cut if off and continue to be friends?
Did you expect anything less, given such a mundane subject?

Quick Reply: Politics, religion and transmission preference