Sponsored by:

The day is here to pick up Mr. Blau!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Lovely CC, and your Speedster in white with the spoiler up is sublime.
Thanks!!! The photographer that I adopted is amazing.

Here is Mr. Blau getting wrapped at the factory.

They treated Mr. Blau as a VIP!

The gentleman pointing is their 918 Delivery Concierge. He was an absolute rock star during the trip, and even now. I have been sending him documents for translation that I have received in the mail. So far, there are no tickets... :/ only tax receipts with euro amounts...

Last edited by JAM2; 10-24-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It'd be hard to beat getting a full wrap at the factory...
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
JD,

I found this from another CarraraWeiss Speedster owner.

Speedster color breakdown
here's a yellow
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2015, 11:50 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvmax
here's a yellow
Wow. I do know that there was one Speed Yellow, and another of a different yellow. Sloan cars sold a yellow with only delivery miles about 11 months ago. The "other" yellow is for sale in CA. He wants what I thought was crazy money, but after seeing the prices in Europe, he isn't that far off. Look at the attached link.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...r&pageNumber=1
Old 10-24-2015, 12:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks!!! The photographer that I adopted is amazing.

Here is Mr. Blau getting wrapped at the factory.
You had the car wrapped at the factory? Can you provide more details? Was it pre or post delivery?

Or was it done post delivery at the Classic Shop?

And what wrap material was used?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:22 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
You had the car wrapped at the factory? Can you provide more details? Was it pre or post delivery?

Or was it done post delivery at the Classic Shop?

And what wrap material was used?
I arranged it through the European Delivery department. It is a fairly new offering for them to offer this. In the past, a client would take delivery, and need to drop it elsewhere for the wrap.

This was my original plan. To pick up at the factory, then leave it overnight while exploring Berlin / Leipzig for 2 days while the car was wrapped.

The new program went into effect about a week before I picked up the car. The wrap took place pre delivery and post delivery. In the future, I imagine it will be complete in its entirety prior to delivery. They were able to have the hood wrapped before my official delivery, giving it sufficient time to dry. After I took delivery they completed the wrap, and I was able to pick it up the next day, again giving the film ample time to dry.

The factory is now assisting with this initiative because many of the 918 factory delivery customers wanted this capability. The wrap that they used was a 3M product. It did it's job while I was there, and overall, they did a great job. There were no bubbles, and no evidence of a wrap job.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I arranged it through the European Delivery department. It is a fairly new offering for them to offer this. In the past, a client would take delivery, and need to drop it elsewhere for the wrap.

This was my original plan. To pick up at the factory, then leave it overnight while exploring Berlin / Leipzig for 2 days while the car was wrapped.

The new program went into effect about a week before I picked up the car. The wrap took place pre delivery and post delivery. In the future, I imagine it will be complete in its entirety prior to delivery. They were able to have the hood wrapped before my official delivery, giving it sufficient time to dry. After I took delivery they completed the wrap, and I was able to pick it up the next day, again giving the film ample time to dry.

The factory is now assisting with this initiative because many of the 918 factory delivery customers wanted this capability. The wrap that they used was a 3M product. It did it's job while I was there, and overall, they did a great job. There were no bubbles, and no evidence of a wrap job.
Great! What do you mean by letting the film dry? 3M film is applied and stays put. Some different technique?

What's the cost of the option? Front wrap? Full wrap?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:49 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Great! What do you mean by letting the film dry? 3M film is applied and stays put. Some different technique?

What's the cost of the option? Front wrap? Full wrap?
I only opted for the front wrap, just in case the results weren't up to our standards.

The film was applied with some wetness, which apparently provides better results. Maybe it's a special German technique. . Overall I am pretty happy with it. Let's see how it survives the transport back to the USA.

Once the car gets back, I will have the whole process done; paint correction, if needed, ceramic pro, etc.

Last edited by JAM2; 02-19-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I only opted for the front wrap, just in case the results weren't up to our standards. That was 850€; a touch less than where I am located.

The film was applied with some wetness, which apparently provides better results. Maybe it's a special German technique. . Overall I am pretty happy with it. Let's see how it survives the transport back to the USA.

Once the car gets back, I will have the whole process done; paint correction, if needed, ceramic pro, etc.
The price is great. Application... yes the film is set with a spray of lightly soapy water.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:04 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvmax
here's a yellow
http://sloancars.com/5131/2011-997-s...d-yellowblack/

JVMAX, Does this match? or is this a different shade of yellow?
Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Paint correction after the front wrap installed? But I guess trying to get the factory to consider a paint correction would probably not be a well-received request.

Your car is gorgeous by the way!!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:30 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Paint correction after the front wrap installed? But I guess trying to get the factory to consider a paint correction would probably not be a well-received request.

Your car is gorgeous by the way!!
Thank you! And exactly my thoughts. "Can you find me someone to do paint correction? Sir, your car was just painted. Yes, that's why I need to someone to correct your paint work..." I doubt that would go over well.

I will have the car assessed when it gets back here, and see what the pros say.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

http://sloancars.com/5131/2011-997-s...d-yellowblack/

JVMAX, Does this match? or is this a different shade of yellow?
i believe its the same car;

http://collectioncar.com/detailed.ph...&category_id=1
Old 10-27-2015, 10:09 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

I think you are correct JVMAX.

The adventures of Mr. Blau continue. He is about to get on a 12 day cruise to start crossing the atlantic. He may actually make it here in time for the annual CVR PCA meeting on November 14th. It will be close.

A couple of more photos from the trip...

Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

What an amazing experience. Thanks for taking the time to write everything up and glad you made it back safe. Now just the wait again ....

Quick Reply: The day is here to pick up Mr. Blau!