Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2: it sure sounds like a turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:39 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry but the tone sounds nothing like the 991.1 w/pse. Has more in common with a Maserati ghibili. Still loud but doesn't have the song of the old canary.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:30 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlej
You can sort of hear the artificial part, it is definitely not the sound that can be generated by a NA boxer engine.

I am not saying it is bad, just not what I would typically expect from a 911's boxer.
The whole thing to me has always been the NA sound of these cars. I could care less about a hair more performance. There is always something faster. But they did a good job for it being turbo charged.

I am glad I have a 991 GTS build in December. But thats me. I am not speaking for the guys and gals that love the new car sound and looks. Thats for them and I respect that. We all have different tastes and lots of cars to pick from.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
The whole thing to me has always been the NA sound of these cars. I could care less about a hair more performance. There is always something faster. But they did a good job for it being turbo charged.

I am glad I have a 991 GTS build in December. But thats me. I am not speaking for the guys and gals that love the new car sound and looks. Thats for them and I respect that. We all have different tastes and lots of cars to pick from.
I agree with you . I used to look way more at the test metrics of sports cars when I bought them but now all the new cars are so capable for street that use that my metrics for choosing a sports car has changed . It's about driving enjoyment which for me is about engine character not always sheer performance , driving character of the chassis not ultimate G Loads or ultimate track prowess and quality of build and other intangibles .

I drove a Z06 with a Z07 track package and its was an unbelievably fast and capable car and is faster around the track than a GT3RS . I could buy one but decided to spend more money to get a much less capable but for me a more satisfying GTS. My take on it
Old 09-13-2015, 01:15 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn911
I agree with you . I used to look way more at the test metrics of sports cars when I bought them but now all the new cars are so capable for street that use that my metrics for choosing a sports car has changed . It's about driving enjoyment which for me is about engine character not always sheer performance , driving character of the chassis not ultimate G Loads or ultimate track prowess and quality of build and other intangibles .

I drove a Z06 with a Z07 track package and its was an unbelievably fast and capable car and is faster around the track than a GT3RS . I could buy one but decided to spend more money to get a much less capable but for me a more satisfying GTS. My take on it
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. I was doing that route. Had to have the fastest, track capable car available, etc. I had a C6 Z06, than to a Viper ACR, than the last one was a 2016 Nissan GTR black edition. It was twin turbo with 545 hp with exhaust work and it screamed. And it road like a lumber wagon to me. It was capable but was not refined I thought.

So with 1777 miles on it, I couldn't trade it fast enough after going back to a Porsche. I had a Cayman S at one time and remembered that refinement. I went and test drove a Carrera and ended up with a GTS build this December. I knew the car was slower and not as track orientated maybe, but for me it was the refinement. The sound, the chassis feel, the interior feel, the look, the 50 years behind the design. I knew I was getting into a slower car but it didn't matter. The other things were way more important.

Now I am on a GT3 list and they told me it might be 3 years. I did drive one of them and loved it twice as well as my GTR. Still it seemed so much more refined and fun and it even road to me way better. I will have to decide at that point. IF not I will keep y GTS Porsche. The money may be to much for me at that point to for my comfort zone. Will just have to wait and see!
Old 09-13-2015, 01:54 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. I was doing that route. Had to have the fastest, track capable car available, etc. I had a C6 Z06, than to a Viper ACR, than the last one was a 2016 Nissan GTR black edition. It was twin turbo with 545 hp with exhaust work and it screamed. And it road like a lumber wagon to me. It was capable but was not refined I thought.

So with 1777 miles on it, I couldn't trade it fast enough after going back to a Porsche. I had a Cayman S at one time and remembered that refinement. I went and test drove a Carrera and ended up with a GTS build this December. I knew the car was slower and not as track orientated maybe, but for me it was the refinement. The sound, the chassis feel, the interior feel, the look, the 50 years behind the design. I knew I was getting into a slower car but it didn't matter. The other things were way more important.

Now I am on a GT3 list and they told me it might be 3 years. I did drive one of them and loved it twice as well as my GTR. Still it seemed so much more refined and fun and it even road to me way better. I will have to decide at that point. IF not I will keep y GTS Porsche. The money may be to much for me at that point to for my comfort zone. Will just have to wait and see!
I have said this repeatedly for decades ...the FIRST thing you get used to ( i.e., " velocitized " and subsequently probably bored with ) is WOT acceleration with any car at any hp ..why do you think the Viper guys are not satisfied with modding to 1000 hp ..then 1200 hp , etc. ?

" Faster , better " numbers sell cars and magazines ...been that way for decades ...but that initial " WOT passion " is fleeting and the long term " love " comes from a car being " interesting " ..which are usually the sublime things, like handing sophistication away from artificially glass -smooth test tracks with their predictable ,studied and mastered cornering attitudes and esp for a SPORTS car..how it SOUNDS through the whole rev range at all throttle angles ...I would not take away anything substantive from these initial " roll away " outside miked exhaust videos of the 991.2 unless that will be your only way of ever " experiencing " one !

The loweliest Toyota drivetrain sound engineer could OEM a similar sounding four cylinder Camry exhaust with throaty off idle roll away rumble and growl and popping on the overun if they wanted to ...but it will still sound like *%+ at WOT and high RPMS !

Bottom line ...each of us needs personal seat time , not interweb thought-experiment bench comparos ...which is all it is so far , but it is interesting that all the spokesmodels for the car so far are speaking from what seems like a common carefully , precisely rehearsed script with regards to describing its sound in comparison to the prev outgoing NA as well as the current Turbo motors .
I also suspect you will see NO models released for press reviews without the $$$ optional PSE for the first year, at minimum..I wonder why ?

Last edited by MKW; 09-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:12 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MKW
I have said this repeatedly for decades ...the FIRST thing you get used to ( i.e., " velocitized " and subsequently probably bored with ) is WOT acceleration with any car at any hp ..why do you think the Viper guys are not satisfied with modding to 1000 hp ..then 1200 hp , etc. ?

" Faster , better " numbers sell cars and magazines ...been that way for decades ...but that initial " WOT passion " is fleeting and the long term " love " comes from a car being " interesting " ..which are usually the sublime things, like handing sophistication away from artificially glass -smooth test tracks with their predictable ,studied and mastered cornering attitudes and esp for a SPORTS car..how it SOUNDS through the whole rev range at all throttle angles ...I would not take away anything substantive from these initial " roll away " outside miked exhaust videos of the 991.2 unless that will be your only way of ever " experiencing " one !

The loweliest Toyota drivetrain sound engineer could OEM a similar sounding four cylinder Camry exhaust with throaty off idle roll away rumble and growl and popping on the overun if they wanted to ...but it will still sound like *%+ at WOT and high RPMS !

Bottom line ...each of us needs personal seat time , not interweb thought-experiment bench comparos ...which is all it is so far !
Agreed!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:33 AM
ichibum9
Intermediate

this sets the turbo exhaust bar pretty high.

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-16-2015, 04:00 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

It's not high. You just breathed a little too much exhaust. Step back, your head will clear.

Quick Reply: 991.2: it sure sounds like a turbo...