Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoJack for $595?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015 | 03:03 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Default LoJack for $595?

My local P dealer is offering LoJack on my new car for $595. LoJack's retail MSRP is $695.

You guys think it's worth it for $595?
Old 09-12-2015 | 03:08 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

if it's a $100 discount and lojack gives you piece of mind i don't see the downside. do they have the early warning system as well?
Old 09-12-2015 | 03:19 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I don't want the car back if its been stolen...my insurance company can keep it and write me a check for it.
Old 09-12-2015 | 03:19 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Yes the early warning is available but a guy at the dealership said that some customers don't like that system because of the number of false positives it throws off..

Also, I called my insurance company and there's no additional discount for LoJack, the 'alarm' discount is the same if the car has an alarm system (of course it's included OEM) and there's no more discount for adding LoJack. My insurance policy also covers against complete loss so I guess the LoJack would be useful just in terms of getting a car back I really like vs. an actual financial benefit..
Old 09-12-2015 | 03:30 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

arent there all kinds of GPS locator devices you can buy that can run for years on just a lithium battery ....that you can hide somewhere in a car ...why would one even consider 1970s type tech like LoJack these days ?

LoJack = PolyGlyCoat " permanent no waxing ever " paint treatment , IMO, and one of the ways they earn extra " laugh all the way to the bank " commissions on clueless car buyers

I remember a MBZ sales guy stammering and stumbling when trying to sell me a LoJack type device when I pointed out to him that the new car I had just bought came std with stolen car GPS tracking via TeleAid way back when !

In the bigger picture, never leave anything of irreplacable value in your car, but it is better that it never be found ....otherwise ......to recover it stripped, abused or mangled but insured may be more an eventual nightmare than a dream !
Old 09-12-2015 | 03:48 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

could just be sales hype, but i believe the advantage of lojack vs other gps tracking software is that in a larger metropolitan area the police can track directly.

if you'd rather never recover your stolen vehicle than a gps system wouldn't be much use either.
Old 09-12-2015 | 03:50 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I can think of many many many better ways to spend $595.
Old 09-12-2015 | 04:03 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Default LoJack for $595?

I agree, passing on it.
Old 09-12-2015 | 04:19 PM
LCW
Pro

Don't all Porsches come with a stolen vehicle recovery system standard? Similar to BMWs?
Old 09-12-2015 | 04:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

LoJack is useless.

Real thieves use disablers.

They steal it, they can keep it.

I don't want it back.

I go to my insurance company to get it "back".
Old 09-12-2015 | 04:41 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ichibum9
could just be sales hype, but i believe the advantage of lojack vs other gps tracking software is that in a larger metropolitan area the police can track directly.

if you'd rather never recover your stolen vehicle than a gps system wouldn't be much use either.
the GPS locator system I am talking about is really more to find your kid of they didnt come home and their trackable cell phone is stolen/ lost or its battery ran out ( the former has happened twice and the latter happens a LOT with one of my daughters when she is out and about, freq in dicey areas that are full of trendy clubs, eats etc) ..I could care less about the VEHICLE but do care about its driver !
Old 09-12-2015 | 05:45 PM
Powereng
Racer

I agree, I don't want the car back, let the insurance company buy a new one. I really would not need it for kid recovery, they don't drive my car.. They have their own to abuse..
Old 09-12-2015 | 08:48 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Powereng
I agree, I don't want the car back, let the insurance company buy a new one. I really would not need it for kid recovery, they don't drive my car.. They have their own to abuse..
so do my two girls ..each has had two at fault collisions vs other cars ...youngest is 16 and just got her license two months ago and has two at fault collisions on her DMV record already ...first one 9 months ago when she had a learners permit on her first non instructor drive two blocks from our house had an insurance paid out of $50 k total to fix the brand new Range Rover and brand new Tesla S she hit ( they must be thrilled to have that on their Carfax LOL ! ) as their owners were loading 6 yr old girls after a soccer game ..thankfully they were loading only on the curb side of the car . Second one ( a different family car that is still in the body shop ) , she was hit by a Mercedes in the neighborhood when she failed to yield at a two way intersection .

Having said that , I feel much safer riding as a passenger with her ....I still to this day will not ride in a car driven by my older one !

don't even ask what our annual auto ins premium is...it is 10x higher now than before they became drivers and can prob pay a years tuition many name universities....wait until this latest incident gets rated into our policy !

Last edited by MKW; 09-12-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2015 | 09:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

These cars are pretty hard to steal. Lock the doors, use common sense regarding where you park & how. Have a quality insurance policy. If a pro wants your car, he's going to get it, regardless of LoJack.
Old 09-13-2015 | 12:03 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MKW
so do my two girls ..each has had two at fault collisions vs other cars ...youngest is 16 and just got her license two months ago and has two at fault collisions on her DMV record already ...first one 9 months ago when she had a learners permit on her first non instructor drive two blocks from our house had an insurance paid out of $50 k total to fix the brand new Range Rover and brand new Tesla S she hit ( they must be thrilled to have that on their Carfax LOL ! ) as their owners were loading 6 yr old girls after a soccer game ..thankfully they were loading only on the curb side of the car . Second one ( a different family car that is still in the body shop ) , she was hit by a Mercedes in the neighborhood when she failed to yield at a two way intersection .

Having said that , I feel much safer riding as a passenger with her ....I still to this day will not ride in a car driven by my older one !

don't even ask what our annual auto ins premium is...it is 10x higher now than before they became drivers and can prob pay a years tuition many name universities....wait until this latest incident gets rated into our policy !

Jeez, may be cheaper to pay for car service everywhere they have to go -- and safer for everyone

Quick Reply: LoJack for $595?