Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts
Default Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?

How does the 911 driving experience compare?

I've only had a hand full of R8 experiences but nothing long term or for much time and just wonder this from an experienced owner.

I've had my C4S for about 18 months and 37K miles so far and I feel it's the most capable car I've ever owned coming from a firmly planted 08 RS4 on coilovers putting just over 128K miles in my 6 years of ownership.

The C4S has Sport PASM and PDCC and I think it defies gravity on my very spirited drives and wonder if the R8 would feel similar.

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Pcar75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been wondering the same thing. hopefully prices start coming down with the release of the new r8 in the coming months.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
How does the 911 driving experience compare?

I've only had a hand full of R8 experiences but nothing long term or for much time and just wonder this from an experienced owner.

I've had my C4S for about 18 months and 37K miles so far and I feel it's the most capable car I've ever owned coming from a
firmly planted 08 RS4 on coilovers putting just over 128K miles in my 6 years of ownership.

The C4S has Sport PASM and PDCC and I think it defies gravity on my very spirited drives and wonder if the R8 would feel similar.

Thoughts?
From January 2013 to just last week I owned a MY2011 R8 V8 Manual Spyder. I presently own a MY2015 991 gt3. I really liked the R8.
I have driven Audi R8's at Sonoma Raceway twice as part of the R8 Driving Experience and found them to be very fast & stable. I believe
at the limit, it will push a bit into corners if you are really going fast. Another weakness at the track will be the brakes. They will probably
fade much before the standard Porsche 991's brakes in similar circumstances. But in everyday driving, you will not notice either of these
small weaknesses.

An Audi R8 is a rare beast compared to any Porsche 911. Most people think of it as some sort of 'exotic' and will pay a lot more attention
to it than your C4S has ever received. To me the biggest drawback of the R8 is the limited storage space for luggage. It prevents you from
going on longer trips than just a short weekend. Overall, it has been one of the most enjoyable and admired sport car that I have owned.
And I recommend it, not as a substitute for your 991, but as additional sport car to your collection if you can afford it.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-08-2015, 03:45 PM
guod
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had R8 V10 manual before. It's not really a fair comparison but it was much faster than my GTS. Absolutely loved the R8 think it's a wonderful car.

-Draws a lot more attention than 911. It was almost always positive but sometimes you don't want attention.
-Engine / exhaust louder
-Seats were very comfortable and good visibility.
-Heated seats didn't work very well
-The MMI system is quite old/outdated and the speakers didn't go very loud.
-90L fuel tank is nice
-911 feels lighter and more comfortable/easy to drive. Shifting much easier in 911 since it's not gated
-Storage space is not as big. You can fit a golf bag behind the seats but it's easier in the 911
-Doors open wider than 911 I think
-Looks unique
-Frunk gets super hot inside (be careful what you store). I don't think this happens in the 911
-The magnetic shocks leaking is a really common problem and costs ~6-10K

Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Well I have the GT version for the last 2 1/2 years or more that is more of the lighter weight performance/trackish special edition of the R8 at the top of the pyramid as far as R8s go. No brake issues since it has the ceramics. 15 track days and 20K miles and I'm just on my second set of pads. It is far faster than my S and way more responsive in every aspect (steering, throttle, transmission that does do what I would like it to...its the automated manual R tronic). Handling is incredible (only McLaren 650S has impressed me more...458 feels very similar to my car) but I have a different set up for the suspension that regular 8s. I keep up with 458s at the track easily enough but I have more power than regular 8s. Seats comfortable, easy to drive daily and on long trips and have done both (cross country from Wisconsin/Chicago to FL). Nav etc dated but I do not care that much...it is supposed to be stripped out...I do not even have the garage door openers built in in it. New ones are taking care of that but I have not warmed up yet to the new design to even think about switching out my car with the new R8. I got fitted luggage that we actually can get a good amount in the car. Certainly for a long weekend (4 days anyway). I think my car is more quiet on the interstate than my S somehow. Even with the V10 screaming and I have less sound deadening than regular 8s. Like the others said I do not think it is a very close comparison to regular 911s anyway in feel, they are very different. I have not driven the current GT3. I can tell my Porsche is rear happy where my R8 is very balanced front/aft, so I know and am very comfortable with it jumping on it and throwing it around but I have not yet had my S to the track to get it better. I like both cars but for a thrill my R8 does it. Instantly. I actually appreciate it more now that I drive my Porsche daily instead of it. Way more visceral experience that I think I was taking for granted just driving it every day. I now get a better understanding of how special it is. The visibility and feel of the Porsche is enjoyable but I can safely say I will keep both and the R8 is the one staying for even longer. The R8 does get waaaaay more attention though I find the way my S looks now that people do turn heads and look at it a lot but I am in an area where there is not one on every corner unlike Chicago.

Doors definitely open wider. Agree on the speakers...the B&O in my R8 is completely pointless at least in mine. Its not a car you are going to enjoy music that much in. The engine is worth hearing though.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Current owner of a 2012 R8 V10 Exclusive Edition 1 of 30, and a 2016 991 GTS Cab.

You can't easily compare the two. My GTS is 2WD and the R8 is AWD. They both amazing things very differently. The low end power in my R8 is far greater than the GTS. That said - my R8 has been programmed and has an exhaust and the GTS is stock and only has 500 miles on the odo. Totally different cars that I both love.. The R8 gets more looks. I have to plan where I'm going with the R8 due to entry/exit angles. The aluminum body on the R8 scares the crap out of me. A small accident would be a nightmare in the R8 and would easily total the car. An accident in the 991 would be routine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by sezme; 09-08-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: can't spell fer crap.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Love your garage sezme. Awesome space.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Love your garage sezme. Awesome space.
Its a 100 year old manufacturing building that I repurposed into a satellite office and man cave. It can hold 8 cars and a ton of bikes. It has a full bath with shower, a tool room, safe/gun room, and a small apartment. It was a fun project and I get to hang with my cars and bikes while I work. The sign out front says: NUNYO (and in tiny letters underneath: None Yo Business Whats Inside)

Stu
Old 09-08-2015, 05:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sezme
Its a 100 year old manufacturing building that I repurposed into a satellite office and man cave. It can hold 8 cars and a ton of bikes. It has a full bath with shower, a tool room, safe/gun room, and a small apartment. It was a fun project and I get to hang with my cars and bikes while I work. The sign out front says: NUNYO (and in tiny letters underneath: None Yo Business Whats Inside)

Stu
Seems pretty cool and tastefully done.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Usually not a fan of convertibles, but that R8 looks pretty mean with the top down. Saw one yesterday. I like the long rear engine deck and side vent.

Picture I found online
Old 09-08-2015, 05:57 PM
mmaturo
Racer

LOVE it.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Miss my R8GT spider, what car.. and that V10 was amazing. Great ride and highly recommend it.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:13 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I love Cabriolets by Porsche. I like Coupes and their lines in the R8. The Spyder is a happy compromise if you can have just one....
Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

Everyone always talks about how Porsche's driving dynamics are the best and how Audi's are boring, yet it seems R8 owners are claiming the opposite?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:55 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The R8 is not boring. It's a monster that I wouldn't use as as a daily driver.

The Porsche on the other hand is easily my go-to car for a daily. It does everything well. More well rounded than my R8.

I think a better question to ask would be how does an R8 compare to a GT3.. The GT3 has more similarities (lower front end, less friendly as a daily driver, twitchy)...

Quick Reply: Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?