Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015 | 11:14 PM
Swalker
Track Day

Just went from a 2011 r8 v10 spyder to a 2016 gts conv. A month ago. Both fun cars, But completely different. Really miss the raw power of the r8. But it also had an aftermarket exhaust and Apr tune, and boy did it sound good!! Even stock. The gts just does everything well, better daily driver, much more comfortable, for a tall guy. Couldn't get the seat in the r8 far enough back, due to it being a spyder. Miss the r8, but love the gts, just wish it was a little faster!! Both great cars, will have to wait and see what the new r8 spyder will be like when it comes out. Now I just have to take my speed addiction out on my dinan tuned F10 M5, another very fast and fun car.
Old 09-09-2015 | 12:36 AM
WCE
User

Thumbs up

Timely topic for me since I just picked up one of the last R8 V8s off the line, traded my 2012 991 Carrera.

Overall impression is they are very similar in driving feel, ride quality and interior noise levels (in other words, great on the first and pretty poor on the other two). The Porsche definitely has the nicer interior (based on my full leather Carrera) and superior electronics, however the R8 will be all new next year. The R8 has it beat in supercar looks and IMO, is somehow more relaxing to drive! Can’t put my finger on the exact difference, perhaps softer seats (I had sport seats) and a less busy ride without the engine cantilevered off the back add up to slightly less stress on my crappy roads. My Carrera needed tires and had plenty of rattles, so that may really be most of the difference. The R8 is however, subjectively noisier on the highway with the windows up and the AC on then I recall my Carrera was with new tires, which is surprising after all of the reviews gushing about the Audi’s level of refinement. The V8 sounds great compared to our sewing machines (sorry about that) although it has a lot of the apparently unavoidable direct injection tapping going on, and it does look great through the glass. Overall, the R8 is just a lower, wider and more exotic looking and sounding package, as it should be since it is simply Audi’s version of the Gallardo.

Disappointingly, the DCT is geared about 15% lower so the V8 revs out on the highway – no more 30 mpg for me! It is also a bit clunkier than the PDK so far, strangely wants to hold on to 2nd gear at crawling speeds resulting in lots of clutch slipping, and the whole awd drivetrain and extra 300 lbs or so of road hugging weight seem to result in much more drag than my rwd Porsche. With a couple of downshifts, basically no braking is required to slow before stopping! Some quirks are once you touch the paddles, the DCT stays in manual mode requiring a console stick move to reselect auto. And if you’re already in auto (and forget) reselecting auto to be “sure”, it puts you back in manual mode! And the parking pawl doesn’t engage until the key is removed, so forget that and the car can roll. Porsche definitely has thought out the PDK operation far better, but I’m sure most of this will be fixed in the new model. The V8 performs like the 991S, so I have gained a bit of speed vs my Carrera which I still maintain was “sufficient” for my needs, although more is always better! No typical Audi steering or Porsche PSP low speed boost in this model, it is heavier than my Carrera at all speeds, which I do kind of prefer, but also adds to the overall more “weighty” feeling of the R8.

I had planned on keeping the 991 a couple of more years before getting either the new R8 or NSX, but the R8 will be V10 only and pushing $200k (can’t compete with the 911 anymore now the VAG owns both) and the NSX won’t be cheap either, will be scary complicated for an all new car and that “beak” hasn’t quite grown on me yet. My preference for the new NSX would have been for a simple 3100 lb twin turbo V6 (450 hp?) rear wheel drive through their new 9 speed DCT – able to hang with the 991.2S, McLaren 570 and new R8 for maybe $120k? That would have been perfect, but I certainly can’t complain about early gratification with my R8!
Old 09-09-2015 | 12:57 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Originally Posted by Swalker
Just went from a 2011 r8 v10 spyder to a 2016 gts conv. A month ago. Both fun cars, But completely different. Really miss the raw power of the r8. But it also had an aftermarket exhaust and Apr tune, and boy did it sound good!! Even stock. The gts just does everything well, better daily driver, much more comfortable, for a tall guy. Couldn't get the seat in the r8 far enough back, due to it being a spyder. Miss the r8, but love the gts, just wish it was a little faster!! Both great cars, will have to wait and see what the new r8 spyder will be like when it comes out. Now I just have to take my speed addiction out on my dinan tuned F10 M5, another very fast and fun car.
So interesting you would mention the seat thing, that was one of main reasons I sold my GT, I loved everything about it but at 6'3 I was just crammed in there and no matter what I did it felt tight. Hoping the new one that I have a deposit on has more space, it needs it!
Old 09-09-2015 | 04:36 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

Very good info.
Old 09-09-2015 | 08:44 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Love my 2015 R8 V8...... 6 Speed, gated MT, all options except ceramic brakes.

as they say, it is the best 911 Audi ever made. (a compliment to both companies, in my mind). What it really is, is a 911 that has the balance of a cayman.

So far the R8 has exceeded my expectations. No issues with quality or reliability, and a theatrical driving experience.

The Pros:
Amazing handling stability
Sweet V8
Gated Manual shifter is a hoot!
Good steering feel. (not as good as 997, but better than 991)
Superlative build quality
It is great looking.
Just feels special to drive....
If porsche built one, the steering wheel alone would have $4000 in options on it, and the interior $23,000 in options. lol.

The Cons:
Last Gen Audi TT seat
Infotainment is last-gen too
Driving position is not relaxed. It is more like a cayman than 911. Dead pedal is about 1 inch too close to driver. (like most mid-engine cars)

That't it. I was going to get the 991.2 as soon as it came out. I don't think so anymore. I am just having too much enjoyment of the R8.

For a comparo article of the 2015 R8 and 2015 991, look up Evo magazine and buy the back-issue. I think it is called, "Look what beats the 911". I think it iwas April 2014.....
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2015 | 09:55 AM
guod
Intermediate

Nice car love the blue!!

Will also echo two points above

-Seating position always felt kinda high. Also coupe has more legroom than Spyder I believe
-Dead pedal definitely awkwardly close at first. took me a while to get used to it
Old 09-09-2015 | 05:28 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Curious from those with experience - what is the quality and cost of maintaining like? Any big known issues or expected likely longer term issues?
Old 09-09-2015 | 06:42 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

While they are beautiful cars, I would take a 911. Thats just me. I drove both a R8 and R10. The suspension seems weird to me, like it is hoppy from front to back. Where the 911 just seems perfect and glued down without the hop to it.

I am 6 foot and I wanted more leg room than what they had to offer too. The 911 seems to have more than enough. I do like the looks of the R8 and almost pulled the trigger on one, until I felt the ride. All personal opinion. And still a great car!
Old 09-09-2015 | 09:33 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dalema
Curious from those with experience - what is the quality and cost of maintaining like? Any big known issues or expected likely longer term issues?
Basically, the costs are like an Audi...lol!

That means pretty darn low. My first 6K miles required nothing in costs, and the first service is covered. You can drive the V8 daily and put lots of miles on them, if you choose.

The V8 engine is basically an RS4 motor, so it is reasonable to service. They can only have an R8 tech work on it, so some things take longer, but they don't charge more. Most of the other parts are cleverly "off the shelf" from other audis. For example, the steering rack is an A6 part.

The V10 is a different animal as far as costs. Now you have a lambo engine and all the things that go with that. They are still reliable as hell, but I would not want to have to buy a new motor on one...
Old 09-09-2015 | 11:11 PM
STG
Race Director

Default Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?

By the way, what do you guys think of the new Q7's? Looks like you get more for your money than the Cayenne. The Cayenne looks quite boring next to the well optioned Q7's Unless you're going GTS, but you're over 100K then!
Old 09-09-2015 | 11:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by guod
Nice car love the blue!!

Will also echo two points above

-Seating position always felt kinda high. Also coupe has more legroom than Spyder I believe
t
Same thing on my RS5. The driving position is just off. Seat is too high, even in the lowest setting. And the steering wheel angle is wrong; too steep. Only things that bug me about the car.
Old 09-09-2015 | 11:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by docjohnM
The V8 engine is basically an RS4 motor, so it is reasonable to service. They can only have an R8 tech work on it, so some things take longer, but they don't charge more. Most of the other parts are cleverly "off the shelf" from other audis. For example, the steering rack is an A6 part.
What is Audi's reason for putting the older V8 in the R8 and the newer one in the RS5? I've never understood why the R8 didn't get the newer motor. Not that the old one wasn't awesome; it just seems like they would use the new one on the flagship car.
Old 09-09-2015 | 11:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG991
By the way, what do you guys think of the new Q7's? Looks like you get more for your money than the Cayenne. The Cayenne looks quite boring next to the well optioned Q7's Unless you're going GTS, but you're over 100K then!
No. Just no. As a Q7 owner, my only advice is, no.
Old 09-09-2015 | 11:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Default Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No. Just no. As a Q7 owner, my only advice is, no.
Soooooo.... That's a dislike??? That bad?

Didn't they just come out with a facelift? Or is that still due out?

Looking at family SUV's here

The soon to be released Mercedes ML (or whatever the new name is. I forget. Oh GLE) looks nice.
Old 09-09-2015 | 11:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG991
Soooooo.... That's a dislike??? That bad?

Didn't they just come out with a facelift? Or is that still due out?
Well, that just made it worse IMO. Audi took a unique design and turned it into a VW minivan.

We have a Q7 Prestige S Line. Motor has a lot of power, but that's the only good thing I can say about it. Every week something else breaks on it. Like being pecked to death by ten chickens. And between the supercharger and the lazy transmission, the lag is horrible. Need to merge quickly? Mash the gas pedal and count to three. And it eats very expensive tires. For breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would literally have a party if someone stole that thing. I love Audi, but the quality on this thing is horrible.

Quick Reply: Any former/current Audi R8 owners in here?