Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding - add a Cayman or trade the Cayenne in and come out with a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:56 PM
alexk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding - add a Cayman or trade the Cayenne in and come out with a 911?

Have had a 2013 Cayenne base for a few years but never been happy with the power. Had a Cayman (also base) for a couple of days and loved it but it felt underpowered too. Yet driving a more engaging car was just sooo much more fun that now it’s decision time.

Option A) add a Cayman and keep the Cayenne for a family car (wife already has a Volvo wagon)

Option B) trade in the Cayenne and get a 911 (drove the base yesterday and love the driving but could imagine wanting to have a bit more power)

I would go for the S in either car, and right now I’m leaning towards option B, but if I went for a 911 S what options/equipment are important? It would be a daily driver and I’d definitely be going with the PDK. What else would be important to add to the 991?
Old 08-23-2015, 02:02 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help deciding - add a Cayman or trade the Cayenne in and come out with a 911?

Go for option b, and as you stated, definitely an S if concerned of needing more power.

As far as upgrades go, I'd say 14 way seats, sport design steering wheel and sport chrono at a minimum. If willing to go more, then PSE as well.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:30 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Only Cayman to get is the GT4 imo, and that will be more than a challenge for you at this point. So I'd go with option B.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM
alexk
8th Gear

Thanks for the input - other ideas on equipment? I'm not (obviously) a big performance driver. I definitely agree with the 14 seats and sport wheel. Otherwise is the stock S good enough? (also, i'd like to keep the price under 125k)
Old 08-23-2015, 03:46 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Yes, stock S is definitely good enough in my opinion. If you want all wheel drive, get a 4s. Also, if opting for the PDK, highly recommend SC.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Keep the Cayenne, and pick a car from the "hot for sale pick of the week" thread. Many great deals. All for under 90K and all Carrera S's. All of those cars posted are very nice. The homework has been done for you.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG991
Keep the Cayenne, and pick a car from the "hot for sale pick of the week" thread. Many great deals. All for under 90K and all Carrera S's. All of those cars posted are very nice. The homework has been done for you.
Exactly!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, highly recommend checking out STG's hot sale of the week thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...e-week-35.html

Particularly if thinking through base and S.

As others have said - SD steering wheel, Sports Chrono and 14 ways. I like the SD mirrors too.

Audio - many threads on base vs Bose vs Burmeister.

On the suspension think through PASM (std on the S) or SPASM for a lower ride height/dif springs.

Sunroof - none, steel or glass. Glass gives you the black top that people do or don't like.

Don't forget the Free smokers package (for appearance only) and passenger's side cargo net!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM
mmaturo
Racer

my 2 cents you want the sport chrono package no doubt on your S. Ventilated seats are fantastic...I ended up limiting my search to cars with it. Its needed in my climate in FL. I do like my glass sunroof for the extra light in the car and the looks of it with the black roof on my white car. I do not have SPASM and while I am a very aggressive driver and probably will have the car on the track one day by your description there is no need for it for you. The adjustability that comes with the S and Sport Chrono will be enough for you. My car does not have the sport exhaust (PSE) and I do not miss that either personally. I plugged the symposer hole to quiet the interior some and just hear the natural sound of the engine/exhaust out of the rear of the car with the windows down. I agree with all of Dalema thoughts above on the little stuff. Back up sensors are an extra...please check that box. I don't think you need the camera but the sensors would be nice. Cannot believe the first owner of my car did not check that box. Silly on a 120 something K car. My car has the extra/extended leather package that adds the dark leather contrast and stitching across the top of the dash and the doors and to me it is worth it visually on every color combination I have seen. Worth doing. I am adding all the sport design aero pieces of the ducktail and new front bumper...should have waited for a car with it but I didn't. Car looks great as is but I really want the duck on the 991. On the stereo I am going to end up doing the front speaker burmeister switch out people have been doing and there is a thread about. The bose is ok but not great. So if its in the budget you may want to check out a car with and without to get a feel for the sound.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

I had a GTS Cayman for 1,000 miles and traded it in for a 911 GTS. The Cayman is a great car. If you had one for a few days then you know how well it handles. The 911 will do everything the Cayman will do, at least in my hands, but its handling is not as exciting as the Cayman's. I walked away from the Cayman amazed every time I parked it in the garage. That said, I found the Cayman underpowered and too confining for long drives. I am a fit 6'2" and it was an exercise in contortion to get in and out, and too tight for any drive over 100 miles. Throttle response was less than I wanted. To its credit, the Cayman sounds way better than a 911, a function of having the engine right in back of the driver. STG991's advice is good. Take a look at his hot pick thread and you will see several really nice low mileage 911s there for the same price you can get a new Cayman. Whatever you decide you will come away with a great car.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the ventilated seats for sure. If cold and some snow in the winter where you are, get a 4S and a winter wheel/tire set (since it's a DD). You'll never go back.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:31 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
I had a GTS Cayman for 1,000 miles and traded it in for a 911 GTS. The Cayman is a great car. If you had one for a few days then you know how well it handles. The 911 will do everything the Cayman will do, at least in my hands, but its handling is not as exciting as the Cayman's. I walked away from the Cayman amazed every time I parked it in the garage.
We recently had the opportunity to have a 981 Cayman "S" for two weeks for a exhaust development/design project. Although it did not have the power of the turbo 911's we are more familiar with, the handling/sound and subsequent excitement derived from driving the new Cayman is fantastic. And after our sport exhaust was fitted it became even more fun to drive. IMO, Porsche did a great job on this new model and really hit the ball out of the park on this one! I think a new Cayman along side the Cayenne would be a fantastic mix. That said, you really can not go wrong with either choice you outlined...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 08-23-2015, 10:27 PM
alexk
8th Gear

Thanks everyone, great feedback! I took a look at the hot deals thread and saw one that pretty much fit the bill, dark blue (the color I want) plus enough of the extras to cover most of what I had thought of and the recommendations above.

What generally have people's experience been buying remote though? I'm in the Seattle area and specific car from the hot deals thread is near Portland OR (that's not too bad) but I once purchased a car through a car finder that was brought up from California but it turns out it had spent the first five years of it's life in New Jersey! The finder hid that and some damage from me and sold me the car. I didn't discover the problems until after the deal was done. If I'm going to buy used I'd like someone who is actually an advocate and wants the car to be a good one. At least when buying a new car the manufacturer has a stake in the product and overall experience being good.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by alexk
Thanks everyone, great feedback! I took a look at the hot deals thread and saw one that pretty much fit the bill, dark blue (the color I want) plus enough of the extras to cover most of what I had thought of and the recommendations above.

What generally have people's experience been buying remote though? I'm in the Seattle area and specific car from the hot deals thread is near Portland OR (that's not too bad) but I once purchased a car through a car finder that was brought up from California but it turns out it had spent the first five years of it's life in New Jersey! The finder hid that and some damage from me and sold me the car. I didn't discover the problems until after the deal was done. If I'm going to buy used I'd like someone who is actually an advocate and wants the car to be a good one. At least when buying a new car the manufacturer has a stake in the product and overall experience being good.
Looks like a one owner car at Sunset Porsche (good dealer). The car has the Porsche CPO warranty too which is good as well! Dealers don't keep cars and get them CPO'd if they've had issues. There's always those bad stories, but on average Porsche dealers are more reputable. Plus the car only has 7K miles.

Call them for details and see any car in person. Get a private inspection too.

That car is great. Don't let it get away. 86K and a CPO for that loaded car?? Perfect. You'd be insane to buy a Cayman!!!

Last edited by STG; 08-23-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,989 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Get the 911.

Entry and Drive is a must get.

Leather is important too.

Quick Reply: Help deciding - add a Cayman or trade the Cayenne in and come out with a 911?