Goodyear Eagle F1 N0

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM
PBRyan52
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 N0

Hello-

I took delivery on my 2016 C2 three weeks back. It came through with Goodyear Eagle F1 N0-rated tires. I was a bit taken aback as I expected Pirellis. Does anyone have experience with these tires and can tell me about them? I am new to all of this and would appreciate any insight.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 151 Posts

If you have the stock 19" OEM wheels, the Goodyear is the one you will get. That is what I got on my 2013 C2. For the period I had them on the car, I found them compliant, fairly quiet and capable for a high performance street tire. I have since moved up to some Carrera III 20" OEM set up which includes the Pirelli PZero. I plan to use the 19's for my occasional DE days.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Have them on my 19's...
Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went 40K miles on my 19" OEM's, 2 sets of rears, 1 pair on the front. They're fine, decent ride, good handling, good wear.
At 40K I replaced all four with Michelin Super Sports mostly because the F1's were on back order everywhere. The biggest difference with the SS's are they're more quiet especially on chip and seal roads.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:43 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I too had them on my 2013 base C2 19". They were fine. I have Pirelli's on my 2015 GTS with 20." wheels. They are noisy.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 19 inch Goodyear is the best tire for street use. They are: quieter, ride smoother, last longer and best of all rated 9 out of 10 for wet weather performance, like a Formula one intermediate rain tire. They are currently out of stock except for Tire Rack which is the Porsche dealer warehouse.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

My '14 Cayman S came with Goodyears and I like em. Good grip, not ridiculously noisy.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 204 Posts

A bit off topic but I'm surprised that Porsche hasn't moved to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport as an OEM tire for the C2 and C4. Most other high performance cars use them now for a very good reason. Porsche does have a relationship with Michelin (the GT3 and PSC2 tires). I always found this unusual as Michelin PSS's test better in every review I have ever seen (subjectively and objectively) than either the P-Zero or F1 tires. Ferrari, BMW, MB, Corvette, etc are all running PSS as OEM tires... outside of the Porsche community, the PSS are generally viewed as the best performance street tire you can buy. I wish they came OEM on the car.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
A bit off topic but I'm surprised that Porsche hasn't moved to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport as an OEM tire for the C2 and C4. Most other high performance cars use them now for a very good reason. Porsche does have a relationship with Michelin (the GT3 and PSC2 tires). I always found this unusual as Michelin PSS's test better in every review I have ever seen (subjectively and objectively) than either the P-Zero or F1 tires. Ferrari, BMW, MB, Corvette, etc are all running PSS as OEM tires... outside of the Porsche community, the PSS are generally viewed as the best performance street tire you can buy. I wish they came OEM on the car.
We don't know if the Pirelli deal is exclusive and how long it's for:

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ne...o-for-new-911/

And for some unknown reason, N rated PSS tires are not yet available in 991 sizes.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
We don't know if the Pirelli deal is exclusive and how long it's for:

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ne...o-for-new-911/

And for some unknown reason, N rated PSS tires are not yet available in 991 sizes.
Not long ago, someone on here was apparently told by their dealer that the MPSS was now N-rated. I haven't seen any other indication of that anywhere, but if so, it could explain the shortage of available MPSSes in the sizes used by Porsche. They may all be going on the 991.2 and/or 981.2 launch cars.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MPSS N rated for Panamera and Carrera GT
Old 08-10-2015, 09:07 PM
gthal
Pro

Originally Posted by sfo
MPSS N rated for Panamera and Carrera GT
Could someone explain why the N rating matters for someone new to Porsche?

There would likely be tires that aren't "N" rated that would actually be BETTER than, say, an N rated P Zero. I've never understood why this matters so much.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Could someone explain why the N rating matters for someone new to Porsche?

There would likely be tires that aren't "N" rated that would actually be BETTER than, say, an N rated P Zero. I've never understood why this matters so much.
I don't know if the N rating "matters" but here's some information:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=26
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...sanddownloads/
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 PM
gthal
Pro

Originally Posted by reuben991
Thanks! Very helpful.

I think most manufacturers have tires developed specifically for their car (the M4, the C7 Z51, etc.) and it would be no different than the N rating for Porsche. I think it may not REALLY matter all that much so long as you are not buying a tire with less capability. I suppose the N rating gives buyers some confidence and assurance that the tires at least meet Porsche's specs and takes some of the guess work out
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks! Very helpful.

I think most manufacturers have tires developed specifically for their car (the M4, the C7 Z51, etc.) and it would be no different than the N rating for Porsche. I think it may not REALLY matter all that much so long as you are not buying a tire with less capability. I suppose the N rating gives buyers some confidence and assurance that the tires at least meet Porsche's specs and takes some of the guess work out
Decades back when Porsche was the only maker branding a sidewall ( with their " N " ) , no one belieived they were different from the identical tire w/o the " N"

Now everyone has special tires developed just for a particular model whether AMGs, Bimmer M cars, Vipers, hi-po Mustangs and Camaros , various Porsches, etc.etc ., etc......each with car suspension -specific tread compounding, belt patterning / structure, rolling resistance, sidewall profile/ sidewall stiffness...everything is " spec'd" now .I heard the Pirellis 991 ' N ' were designed to the reduced camber changes , esp at the rear , of the 991 geometry vs the 997 geometry ...so there is a lot more to it than " I got MPSS because they are quieter , have a better Tire Rack owners score ( on other brand cars ) and they come std on Brand X "

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle F1 N0