Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Notices
Sponsored by:

Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:58 PM
96redLT4
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Sometime in the future, I have a new GTS coming and am wondering about using one of these products. I have never used them or thought it necessary before, trying to quick detail the bugs etc off after every few drives. Do you guys think it is worth the fairly significant cost and if so what brand?
Jim
Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 PM
fastdiablo
User

Been doing quite a bit of research on this myself and XPel seems to have the best reputation, but the installer is just as if not more important.
Most folks seem to get the full hood, fenders and front bumper. I'm learning it's also advised to add rocker panels. Full doors will probably also make my final spec to avoid door dings. I'm seeing quotes around 3-5K.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:12 PM
STG
Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got SunTek. Very good film too and better than XPel in some ways. All has been posted before. Lots and lots of posts on this. But agreed, installer is key!!

Premier has a good rep up in NoCal

Regardless, getting PPF is a great idea. Get a good installer and don't go with the cheapest guy. Pay for experience.

Full front bumper, hood, and front fenders are a must with a low car like the 911
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 View Post
Sometime in the future, I have a new GTS coming and am wondering about using one of these products. I have never used them or thought it necessary before, trying to quick detail the bugs etc off after every few drives. Do you guys think it is worth the fairly significant cost and if so what brand?
Jim
Is it worth it? Personal preference. Daily driver, for me, not worth it. There's something very beautiful and sensual about natural paint. Even the patina created from daily wear and tear is special. Like the sheen on well-cared for leather shoes. But again, it's personal. Some people think of these cars like FabergÚ eggs that need to be hermetically sealed. Neither is right or wrong. Just comes down on how a person views the world.

As to what type of PPF. As others have said, buy the installer and not the product so long as the product you're deciding between is Xpel and SunTek. Both are top-notch, and each have their pluses and minuses but in the long run you're not going to go wrong with either. Again, buy the installer.

And don't listen to any claims about warranty and how long the warranty is. Because really, 5 years down the road you should be replacing your PPF anyway, damaged or not.

Last bit of advice. Don't do partial panels. Do an entire panel (ie hood or fender) or don't do that panel. Of course you can wrap the entire car and then brag to people how your car has been condomized!

Hope this helps and good luck. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
TrappistMonk
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My installer recommended suntek for dark colors and expel for lighter colors
Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Mojo31
User

I have Suntek on two Audis, one white and one silver. Very difficult to tell it's there, and please with the product after one year.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:57 PM
mtony
User

SunTek on mine. Very happy with it after two years.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM
STG
Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
SunTek on mine. Very happy with it after two years.
Same here.

I'm a neurotic car freak, and literally cannot tell the difference between the panels that have it and don't.

I'm happy to live without paint chips, which drive me crazy.

I agree with the previous post, that after five years, it's time for refresh. Don't worry about the silly warranties.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 PM
sanchezdds
User

I had SunTek installed on my car and I am very happy so far. You can't even tell the car has any film. Like some have mentioned, make sure you research a great installer to apply the product.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 PM
blschaefer1
User

3M Pro Series. It's relatively new, best in market currently. Self healing. Gloss level matches our cars on the nut.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 PM
goin2drt
Super User

Location: Kentucky finally made it out of Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

Xpel here.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Ski Porsche
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Suntek on front clip and after a year it's still indistinguishable from non-covered panels. My installer has used both Xpel and Suntek and slightly prefers the latter.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 PM
96redLT4
Super User

Great feedback. Thanks everyone! Do they have to remove bumpers fenders etc to apply the film?? Any chances of 'injury' on the application??
J
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM
blschaefer1
User

Comparison of 3M Pro Series, Xpel Ultimate, and Suntek here.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:18 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 View Post
Great feedback. Thanks everyone! Do they have to remove bumpers fenders etc to apply the film?? Any chances of 'injury' on the application??
J
Depends on the installer. But sometimes if you want a seamless/edgeless install then the fenders, headlights, crest, etc. will need to be removed.

Again, buy the installer. In the hands of a skilled installer (and his/her team), there should be no "boo boos".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: