Sponsored by:

Help me choose my first P car 991 S or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:55 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

That's what I was thinking.

Last edited by trucheli; 07-17-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:12 PM
trucheli
Pro

Thank you for most of the intelligent responses. I am still interested in getting opinions of someone who has gone from a 991 S to a GTS. I think also about resale value. I think the GTS manual will hold better value in the future than the 991 S. Decisions!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:20 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
Thank you for most of the intelligent responses. I am still interested in getting opinions of someone who has gone from a 991 S to a GTS. I think also about resale value. I think the GTS manual will hold better value in the future than the 991 S. Decisions!
Honestly, if price had been important to me I'd have been fine with the 2S. In fact, my dealer didn't even have a GTS to drive when I made my purchase. I drove a 2S with SPASM and a 2S with SPASM and PDCC, decided I liked SPASM better. I chose the GTS because I knew I liked the exclusivity of having the "top of the line" Carrera, I liked the look of the haunches, I liked the wheels, and I like saying that it has 430hp (same as my brother's C6). But honestly, the power is not noticeably better in my book, and if I'd had to pay full price for the powerkit motor (as in an S + Powerkit) I'd have passed.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you can really get either for $110k, I'd just consider how important the other options are to you. I considered the GTS, but every time I configured it, I couldn't keep the price under $125k with the options I wanted and I don't care for the wheels offered, so I was looking at another chunk of change and hassle to swap wheels. And out here, dealers wouldn't deal at all on the GTS, while they would give a bit of a discount on the C2S, so that was another $4k+ difference.

I think you'll probably be happy either way. Honestly, I think one of the big considerations should be which transmission you prefer.

Also, if you're not dead set on a specific color or planning to order specific options, and you intend to keep the car, you might consider shopping nationally for a leftover car. There are some great deals to be had that way.
Most of the leftover cars come with a lot of things that I don't really want like Multifuntion steering on PDK. I could order it on a manual but not on a PDK. I don't want moonroof at all. Some don't have sports chrono and PSE. I only want white, black interior.
This is my GTS Build:
MSRP $114200 Bose Audio $1802 Park Assist w/Camera $1645 PASM $890 Multifunction Steering wheel $165 Destination $995 TOTAL $ 120,015
I can get it for $110,400.
As far as the transmission I can go either way I believe the 991S is better with the PDK as oppose the GTS I would do manual.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
As far as the transmission I can go either way I believe the 991S is better with the PDK as oppose the GTS I would do manual.
I'm curious, and God knows, not trying to start another PDK vs. Manual slugfest. But why would you think the S was better with PDK and the GTS better with 7M? I've puzzled on that one and can't figure it out. Or is it just that you want to close the pricing gap between the two by equipping the GTS with the free tranny?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

He's a "BMW loyalist".....nuff said.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:16 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm curious, and God knows, not trying to start another PDK vs. Manual slugfest. But why would you think the S was better with PDK and the GTS better with 7M? I've puzzled on that one and can't figure it out. Or is it just that you want to close the pricing gap between the two by equipping the GTS with the free tranny?
Because the 991 S was built around the PDK not the other way around. Just like the GT3 was built around the PDK S. It's all about gear ratios. I am not saying that one is better than the other one but if I have to choose I would get a PDK on the S and I would do MT on the GTS which was upgraded and according to tests works beautifully.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Couldn't agree more. AM Vantage V8 for about the top of your budget (stretched to maybe 120k well-equipped, about like a 991S). Beautiful, V-8ey, sounds good, cabin is snug but wonderfully built, won't see very many of them compared to the much more pedestrian 991.

That said, I didn't even consider one when replacing my 911 Turbo this year; love the way they look, but I don't think it's nearly the car dynamically that the 911 is, or even your M4. But if I lived in Miami, meh. I wouldn't care about a car's dynamics. I'd be looking for other qualities.
The points about the importance of matching the vehicle and engine dynamics with the types of driving you will be doing are all valid. I'm in an area with flat, boring roads but I still love my 991S PDK and don't feel it is lacking on the low end. In the spirit of rennlist , let me goad you in to purchasing a P-car. $110K for an ordered $120K MSRP GTS is a good deal. Go for it.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:50 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,350 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by SMZ
The points about the importance of matching the vehicle and engine dynamics with the types of driving you will be doing are all valid. I'm in an area with flat, boring roads but I still love my 991S PDK and don't feel it is lacking on the low end. In the spirit of rennlist , let me goad you in to purchasing a P-car. $110K for an ordered $120K MSRP GTS is a good deal. Go for it.
Yes, but have you driven an Aston Martin, either the V8 or V12? Take a ride in one, they're Big Fun when you don't have hilly curves to carve up. I'm on my 5th Porsche so you know I like 'em, but I used to live in South Florida and along Miami Beach I'd do an Aston every time over a Carrera.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:02 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by SMZ
I wonder how many people experience the full potential of M and P cars. I was lucky all these years to have driven in Germany at high speed north of 160 mph having to brake to 90 mph and knowing that I won't upset the car. But in the states doing 100mph can get you a trip to jail. I guess dynamics, horsepower and torque don't mean much. I rather have more torque to get out of a bad situation but once you get used to certain horsepower is hard to downgrade. As I said I have been driving 400hp cars.
Not long ago I went to test a Cayman S because I love the mid engine dynamics. I found it underpowered and I could not see myself owning a Cayman. I know that I will be happy with either car. Just trying to make the right decision owning a car that I will love 8 or 10 years from now.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie
Yes, but have you driven an Aston Martin, either the V8 or V12? Take a ride in one, they're Big Fun when you don't have hilly curves to carve up. I'm on my 5th Porsche so you know I like 'em, but I used to live in South Florida and along Miami Beach I'd do an Aston every time over a Carrera.
To me owning a German car has more to do with national pride the same way that some people buy only American cars. I love to see them but I would never buy one, just like a Harley Davisons.

Another example would be the Jaguar F-TYPE R.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Let's not kid ourselves -- neither the 991 S or the 991 GTS is going to do well from a resale perspective. These are mass produced cars that anyone can walk into a dealer and buy right now. They aren't limited, they aren't special hard to get models that you needed to be on a list last year....

If I were you I'd go for a new frills GTS and get the biggest discount you can get. Options have very little return when it comes to resale value. The only ones that have ever seemed to be worth it are upgrading to a different seat -- and I don't mean adding the slow-moving electric system that's available in the 991. 4-7% discount sounds doable from another thread so if you can do 112 + ttl you can probably order a GTS.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Help me choose my first P car 991 S or GTS

2015 GTS. Asking 115K with under 2K miles. 133K sticker price.

Look at pre-owned cars. Save $$$ used GTS's are popping up, and yes they are depreciating just like the rest.

Can't go wrong.

http://www.parkplace.com/all-invento...he-911-mp11232
Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Resale is like this....you'll lose your *** on any 991 that isn't a GT3.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by destaccado
Let's not kid ourselves -- neither the 991 S or the 991 GTS is going to do well from a resale perspective. These are mass produced cars that anyone can walk into a dealer and buy right now. They aren't limited, they aren't special hard to get models that you needed to be on a list last year....

If I were you I'd go for a new frills GTS and get the biggest discount you can get. Options have very little return when it comes to resale value. The only ones that have ever seemed to be worth it are upgrading to a different seat -- and I don't mean adding the slow-moving electric system that's available in the 991. 4-7% discount sounds doable from another thread so if you can do 112 + ttl you can probably order a GTS.
Let's say 8 years from now which one will hold better value?
I can get 8% off MSRP right now on a ordered GTS.

Quick Reply: Help me choose my first P car 991 S or GTS