Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose my first P car 991 S or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015 | 06:33 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by John Helmer
TRADED MY 2014 LOADED RS5 FOR NEW 991 GTS MANUAL COUPE I DONT YAWN WHILE DRIVING ANYMORE...
I still have my RS5 and I guess I needed a GTS manual but my '13 5 knows what gear I want that my S doesn't and both dual clutch etc...I actually have the exact opposite problem. Oh I have a pdk. Never mind. I have to push this S way more than my now wife's RS5...sport mode still is never in the power band on my P car where I want it...yes I have a bit to understand this car but on the street I need to put out extra effort to keep the revs up but I can tell deeper into ringing the car out it is more exciting but haven't found it on the street yet (shall be doing the Porsche schools on their cars before I take my 911 to the track since it is rather different than the other cars I have owned and tracked) but I never touched the paddles in my 5, 7 and only on the track to downshift on high speed to low speed hard 90 degree turns in my R8GT. My 5 has seen 20+ track days and did rather well out there at predicting what I wanted. Those cars are not trying to save gas like I feel like my Porsche is even in sport mode. This entire string is interesting on views. I like my S but my Audi RS and R cars are not leaving the garage. So yes I am an Audi fan after 20 years in Chicago and Quattro plus many design elements I appreciate. I got a kick out of the Aston comments as I did drive a Vantage GT for a very extended test drive thank you Aston NA and really liked it...it could have worked but the color combo I wanted was not around to get what I was after at a slightly used price point (since they were brand new) at or just under 100K for a daily driver. But I did really like it but with just a few grand difference I still chose the 991. They are all different from all these manufacturers and do different things well.

Last edited by mmaturo; 07-18-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2015 | 06:41 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by destaccado
$5000 savings? You can get a 125k MSRP 13 S with 10k miles and 1 owner for about $80,000 right now. In reverse figure you're going to lose all that money in three years on any S or GTS car you buy new minus whatever discount you manage.

It's my firm belief that all these standard 991's are now disposable cars and the long term collectible factor simply isn't there. Look how cheap early non-special edition 997's are; I don't see why the 991 would be any different in the long-run.

If you're worried about resale enough to mention it buy used. They changed very, very little on the 991 over the last couple years.
Agree. I bought my '14 rather loaded Carrera S low 120s new with 2600 miles on it for 28K below its sticker. Zero abuse garage queen. I plan to pile miles on it (at 6K already after 2 months) and in the long run the depreciation will be ahead of other German cars but yup I will take these things slightly used.
Old 07-18-2015 | 01:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mmaturo
I still have my RS5 and I guess I needed a GTS manual but my '13 5 knows what gear I want that my S doesn't and both dual clutch etc...I actually have the exact opposite problem. Oh I have a pdk. Never mind. I have to push this S way more than my now wife's RS5...sport mode still is never in the power band on my P car where I want it...
Agree. Sport mode on the RS5 is almost too manic, while Sport mode on the Porsche is too relaxed. I wind up using manual model a lot more on the Porsche than the RS5. Totally different cars though, both very fun in their own way. To me, the RS5 is the European interpretation of something between a Camaro SS and Z28. Kinda sporty muscle car, but much more refined and elegant.
Old 07-18-2015 | 03:00 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Default Help me choose my first P car 991 S or GTS

Originally Posted by johnireland
Since the OP is in love with technology but only drives in Miami traffic I suggest that he buy a simulator for $54,000. He can drive any car in the world on any track in the world and even hook up with people on line all over the world and race against them. This would leave the OP with about $70,000 to get himself a real Porsche...perhaps a 996 tt plus some on track instructions...or he can buy a 993 and have all the money he'll ever need to repair it for the next 20 years.

If Porsche is behind the curve in terms of BMWs technology I can only wish they were even farther behind. Driving is not about pushing buttons. You don't drive with your thumbs, you drive with the seat of your pants.
You're my new best friend call me every five minutes

Quick Reply: Help me choose my first P car 991 S or GTS