Sponsored by:

Plastic dip my winter setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:59 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Plastic dip my winter setup

I always like the factory platinum satin finish on the Carrera S wheels. Unfortunately, my car didn't come with them. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new set of factory 20" winter package from a member here for an excellent price. So I thought may be I could just plastic dip them for that gun metal satin look, and hopefully it'll look close to the factory's platinum finish.

After 3 coats of anthracite, 2 coats of glossifer, I'm really happy with the result. I could've done better with the emblem especially the first two wheels. I might redo the emblem one day or when they worn out. I also coated the whole wheel with a ceramic coating for further protection & ease of cleaning.

I like how a darker wheel looks on the car, and like having the best of the both world, a silver wheel & a dark wheel set, to give the car a different look 1/3 time of the year.

I know it's in the middle of summer, but I really can't wait for the winter comes to try out the new shoes on her.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

freak'in amazingly good job!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic dip my winter setup

Looks really great!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 627 Posts

Can you give more details about the ceramic coating?

I had to have a wheel replaced (it was damaged by the original owner and the dealer replaced it as they should).

The replacement OEM wheel came from a US warehouse. It had to be painted to match my other wheels. The paint job is great - can't really tell the originals from the OEM replacement BUT we noticed after running PFC pads we had a lot of brake dust staining on the barrels.

The 3 original wheels cleaned up no problem. The fourth wheel that was the Porsche OEM replacement appears not to have the same coating on the barrel. We haven't figured out how to remove the stains. I'm not worried about it - you can only see it with wheels off....but this kinda stuff drives my husband crazy and he can't stand to see a dirty wheel.

I'm not sure why Porsche's wheel from the factory is easier to clean than the one we shipped to us from a U.S. warehouse but there's a significant difference.

Plasti-dip looks great! Love your wheels. I've never plasti-dipped but am tempted after seeing this post. Do you have to remove the tires or do you mask them off and do the dip with tires mounted? Any tips on plasti-dipping are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 PM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, please give more details about the plasti-dipping.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

All you guys need to know about plasti dip.

http://youtu.be/AFYX_5cS1go.

My dip
Old 07-16-2015, 07:41 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Can you give more details about the ceramic coating?

I had to have a wheel replaced (it was damaged by the original owner and the dealer replaced it as they should).

The replacement OEM wheel came from a US warehouse. It had to be painted to match my other wheels. The paint job is great - can't really tell the originals from the OEM replacement BUT we noticed after running PFC pads we had a lot of brake dust staining on the barrels.

The 3 original wheels cleaned up no problem. The fourth wheel that was the Porsche OEM replacement appears not to have the same coating on the barrel. We haven't figured out how to remove the stains. I'm not worried about it - you can only see it with wheels off....but this kinda stuff drives my husband crazy and he can't stand to see a dirty wheel.

I'm not sure why Porsche's wheel from the factory is easier to clean than the one we shipped to us from a U.S. warehouse but there's a significant difference.

Plasti-dip looks great! Love your wheels. I've never plasti-dipped but am tempted after seeing this post. Do you have to remove the tires or do you mask them off and do the dip with tires mounted? Any tips on plasti-dipping are appreciated.

Thanks
The coating that I used is Optimum's latest Gloss Coating (but you can use any other coating on the market too). I've used them on many cars & wheels (included caliper) with great success (I run a detailing side business). They are easy to apply as long as you prep the surface good. On wheels, just make sure you throughly clean the wheels & wipe them with a delutied IPA before you apply the coating. Once coated, it's very very easy to clean, just some mild car shampoo is all you'll need. No harsh wheels cleaner. I'm not sure how good it will be for track usage as the brake/wheel could get pretty hot, and that's how the brake dust "baked" onto the wheel surface. But I assume there still be a "barrier" there to combat the hot brake dust.

Originally Posted by PDX991
Yes, please give more details about the plasti-dipping.
I first deep clean the wheels with some good wheel cleaner, then again with some APC (all purpose cleaner) to make sure there's no oil/wax/sealant/etc. on the wheel but bare clear coat surface. Make sure the wheels are 100% dry or the plastic dip won't sticks. Dismount the tires aren't necessary. Just apply some tire shine on the tire and the plastic dip won't stick on the tires too.

The first coat, I applied a very thin coat (6-8 inches away?). Like 50% coverage of the surface. That's the base coat and will make the later coats bond better. The 2nd & 3rd coat, I applied heavily. By heavily, I meant I was just a couple inches from the surface (2-3") & aim for close to 100% coverage. I did a total of 3 coats. Then I applied 2 coats of the Glossifier for that satin finish look. This coats, I do somewhere in between the 1st base coat & the 2nd/3rd heavy coat. So not a light mist coat, but not a 100% coverage heavy coat neither.

I let them sit for a couple of days to make sure they are 100% dried. Then I applied a coat of Optimum Gloss Coat (or whatever car coating your choice) for further protection, a little more sheen, and much much easier to clean with just some cheap car shampoo & a microfiber towel or wheel wholly.

I didn't do a good job of peeling from the emblem area on the first two one. On the last close up pic, that was the best I did on the 4th wheel emblem. I found out instead of peeling them "along side", you'll have a sharper edge by peeling at the "opposite/against" direction.

Also, some people just keep the wheels on and dip them. But I like the to dip the wheel barrels same color as the wheels too for better look especially with a dark color wheel. It worth the time to take the wheel off to do it right IMO.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:43 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9914s
All you guys need to know about plasti dip.

http://youtu.be/AFYX_5cS1go.

My dip
Old 07-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

on the dip!!

Quick Reply: Plastic dip my winter setup