Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Short Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

My brother has a GT4 and I noticed the stick was shorter. Perhaps the same one?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
Suncoast 369.95
You guys are fast!! Yes, here--7.5% off
Old 12-19-2015, 03:03 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I spoke with Suncoast and the rep basically admitted this is the Gt4 shifter. He also admitted it was a small change over stock.

It's a factory part (of course) but not approved for use on a 991. Technically there is no short shifter for our cars.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not a secret it was the GT4 shifter.

A 2 cm lower **** height and an added spring for return to neutral on the lever is all that's different. I posted a pic in a previous thread on the subject.

If anyone thought it was too easy to mix up fast shifting between 3/4, 5/6 and 7th, with the spring, it is much easier to know which gate you're in as the tension makes it obvious between 3/4 and 5/6 and using the lockout for 7. The 2cm lower **** height is also noticeable.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

From systemr's earlier post of a planet-9 review, seems like the guy had the install wrong. See below:

"I thought I would post an update to my review of this SSK after a few months of use. My initial impressions were kind of meh. I know now that this was mainly due to an installation error on my part. When replacing the shift **** after the ssk install, I did not push it down as far as it was supposed to go. The **** was basically only half way down on the lever, resulting in the overall height being not much shorter, and the shifting feel was kind of loose and wobbly. I eventually discovered this fact by doing a hard downshift into 2nd, which resulted in the **** coming off in my hand. This broke the plastic ring connecting the boot to the ****, but otherwise no harm done. So when trying to get the **** back on, I used quite a bit of down force and the **** slid all of the way down where it's supposed to be. Wow, what a difference. The **** height is now really short and the shift effort is correspondingly shorter and firmer. Shift feel is much improved and very solid. Now I am happy. I can say now that it is worth the $400."
Old 02-15-2016, 01:15 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Wow, great info. I might just have to go with this mod. Can you post a pic of the reduced stick height?

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
From systemr's earlier post of a planet-9 review, seems like the guy had the install wrong. See below:

"I thought I would post an update to my review of this SSK after a few months of use. My initial impressions were kind of meh. I know now that this was mainly due to an installation error on my part. When replacing the shift **** after the ssk install, I did not push it down as far as it was supposed to go. The **** was basically only half way down on the lever, resulting in the overall height being not much shorter, and the shifting feel was kind of loose and wobbly. I eventually discovered this fact by doing a hard downshift into 2nd, which resulted in the **** coming off in my hand. This broke the plastic ring connecting the boot to the ****, but otherwise no harm done. So when trying to get the **** back on, I used quite a bit of down force and the **** slid all of the way down where it's supposed to be. Wow, what a difference. The **** height is now really short and the shift effort is correspondingly shorter and firmer. Shift feel is much improved and very solid. Now I am happy. I can say now that it is worth the $400."
Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

From systemr's earlier post of a planet-9 review, seems like the guy had the install wrong. See below: "I thought I would post an update to my review of this SSK after a few months of use. My initial impressions were kind of meh. I know now that this was mainly due to an installation error on my part. When replacing the shift **** after the ssk install, I did not push it down as far as it was supposed to go. The **** was basically only half way down on the lever, resulting in the overall height being not much shorter, and the shifting feel was kind of loose and wobbly. I eventually discovered this fact by doing a hard downshift into 2nd, which resulted in the **** coming off in my hand. This broke the plastic ring connecting the boot to the ****, but otherwise no harm done. So when trying to get the **** back on, I used quite a bit of down force and the **** slid all of the way down where it's supposed to be. Wow, what a difference. The **** height is now really short and the shift effort is correspondingly shorter and firmer. Shift feel is much improved and very solid. Now I am happy. I can say now that it is worth the $400."
I am very interested. Did the kit come complete, no other parts required, just install? I have put other quality short shift kits in previous P cars and loved the feel. Do you see any issues?
Thanks.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 PM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT4 shifter!!

I just had this part installed on my 911_50 (essentially a GTS) by IMA Motorwerke in Virginia. The shorter overall height is immediately noticeable, and the shift action has a much more solid feel. It takes more effort to shift (because of the lower height) but it's noticeably faster and more direct.

The OEM 7 spd shifter is pretty good, but I think this definitely makes it better! Easily worth the price (I got it from Suncoast), and it comes with everything you need for the install. I'd recommend professional installation and IMA did a great job.

To me the difference is bigger than what people have wrote about it. If you bought a manual, then I'd consider this almost a "default" mod, just like OEM clear corners.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:56 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really tempted to get this especially since its OEM however i think the stock GTS shifter is excellent as is. Not sure what to do...
Old 02-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Best DIY thread for those so inclined I've found is over on planet-9. I'm going to try it myself in the next week or two:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...r-981-a-3.html
Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I've already purchased the parts for my '13! Pending install. Love the stock shifter but a shorter height and slightly improved gate feel will be perfect!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Installed ... and it rocks. Firmer, more mechanical, shorter, basically perfect. Very happy. Install was a breeze - the hardest part was the shift ****.

Glad I didn't pay $3-400 to have it installed - it to me two hours with a buddy. Could probably do one in half that time now. Just reference the 981 thread above.

Now I have a little GT4 in my car. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same shifter that's in the new 911 R.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Installed ... and it rocks. Firmer, more mechanical, shorter, basically perfect. Very happy. Install was a breeze - the hardest part was the shift ****.

Glad I didn't pay $3-400 to have it installed - it to me two hours with a buddy. Could probably do one in half that time now. Just reference the 981 thread above.

Now I have a little GT4 in my car. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same shifter that's in the new 911 R.
Thanks for the follow up.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:14 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This may be a silly question, but does the short shift kit discussed here reuse the same same shift **** or do I have to purchase a separate shorter **** for the kit?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
This may be a silly question, but does the short shift kit discussed here reuse the same same shift **** or do I have to purchase a separate shorter **** for the kit?
You re-use your existing ****.

Quick Reply: 991 Short Shift kit