Sponsored by:

SmartTop & Entry and Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmartTop & Entry and Drive Question

So, thanks to the generous work of a member here, my SmartTop has been installed on my 2013 C4 Cab. Even better, it works from the key fob and from the switches inside the car. One of the world's great engineering advances IMHO.

However, I would like to program the module so that the windows remain down when the top is opened (and yes, I am aware that four clicks on the key fob accomplish that). According to the instructions, one must first remove the key from the ignition. With E&D, I do not think that is possible. Has anyone programmed their SmartTop with the E&D option or otherwise know a workaround? I asked that of mods4cars support, but the tech who responded did not have a solution.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:53 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default SmartTop & Entry and Drive Question

If you are programming via the steering wheel stalks, you do not need to remove the "fake" key. Just turn the car off completely. Do you have the programming instructions?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,148 Likes on 687 Posts

Don't know if this helps, but if you want to remove the dummy key, just leave the FOB in the house, then turn the dummy key. You will get a message on the display saying that no key is detected. After you get that message turn the dummy key to the left and it can them be removed like a regular key. Remember, this procedure requires that you not have the fob on you.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM
chuckla
Racer

I do have the programming instructions although I can get no movement of the stalk directly out, only up, down and towards the gauges.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Don't know if this helps, but if you want to remove the dummy key, just leave the FOB in the house, then turn the dummy key. You will get a message on the display saying that no key is detected. After you get that message turn the dummy key to the left and it can them be removed like a regular key. Remember, this procedure requires that you not have the fob on you.
Yep, that is exactly how to get the dummy key out of the ignition. You will see a message in the multi-display actually telling you to turn the key to the left and pull out. You will hear a loud "click" that indicates the FOB was released.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM
chuckla
Racer

After you remove the dummy key and do the programming, does the dummy key simply go back in the ignition?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:17 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
After you remove the dummy key and do the programming, does the dummy key simply go back in the ignition?
Yes. Just stick it in like normal key, you will hear a loud click securing the FOB in place. Then it works normally.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I do have the programming instructions although I can get no movement of the stalk directly out, only up, down and towards the gauges.
Chuck, a lot of us have done this and can walk you thru it. Do you have the SportDesign steering wheel (with the MFD stalk at 4 o'clock) or one of the other wheels?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM
chuckla
Racer

Sport Design with stalk at 4 o'clock.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Sport Design with stalk at 4 o'clock.
Ok, so the four movements of the stalk should be up, down, pushed forward toward the gauges, and pulled rearward toward you.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM
chuckla
Racer

That's right although instructions say "pull and hold" until turn signals flash. I tried all five ways (up, down, toward me, away from me and directly away from the steering wheel). No response.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:15 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

When you pull and hold, is he car shut off? What I did was get in, turn the car on, then turn the car off, then open and close the door so that the car "thought" I wasn't in it. I don't know if that makes a difference. btw, I did not take the "fake" key out of the ignition.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:19 PM
chuckla
Racer

LOL. Wish I had some of that liquid from the old The Invisible Man movie. OK, will try that as I am healthily skeptical that I will ever be able to drive this car again (ok, a little dramatic hyperbole) if I remove the dummy key.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:26 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

LOL. Wish I had some of that liquid from the old The Invisible Man movie. OK, will try that as I am healthily skeptical that I will ever be able to drive this car again (ok, a little dramatic hyperbole) if I remove the dummy key.
Don't remove it Chuck. You'll get there.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM
chuckla
Racer

Holy Mackerel. It worked! Took me two seconds to make the two program changes I wanted. But, I feel like I have sinned, deceiving my new baby that way. LOL. Thanks again Hinckley.

Quick Reply: SmartTop & Entry and Drive Question