Sponsored by:

Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow.
I went from a RS America (964) to the 991...
...a lot changed within twenty years!
Comparing them doesn't really work...just too different.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Wow.
No strong feelings on this string, fortunately.

The guy drove a 991. He's had other Porsches. He hates the 991. To each his own.
Cut him some slack, f'r God's sake---he didn't yank on your mom's mustache, he just said he's unimpressed with the stretch version of the 911. Let it go.
Another post I don't understand. You do realize this is a forum, right? OP posts that he hated the 991 (base) and that it was the worst $24K ever spent (his words). Just writing that again made me laugh; we just pointed out that he might be a bit of an idiot for not doing a test drive... because I assume that's what happened, or actually not happened - a test drive. Unless of course he thought he'd unlock more power over time and the manual will magically change.

It's one thing to say: "well, I didn't like it and wanted more power", but to complain that the base has no *****, and it was the most waste of money ever is just laughable. Here is a tip, don't buy it then, or get the S version.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:50 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
as the M96 based 911's rightfully take their place as the worst 911s Porsche ever produced.
The M96 = 997.1 engines?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
The M96 = 997.1 engines?
Ya; M96/97 in the cheaper non-Turbo non-GT models.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:10 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

No *****? Buy a Corvette. With 2 pedals.

Some enthusiasts would rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I'm renting a 197hp Ford Fiesta ST for 2 years and ringing it out is a blast. Will it keep up with my wife's station wagon in a straight line? No. A 350hp 911 has more power than any drive would need... assuming the driver knows how to find it.

Truthfully, I find the 7MT in our Targa S much preferable to the 915 5-speed in our '83, which is, uh, "charming" at its best.

The 7MT is an unqualified delight. Sorry you couldn't figure out how to enjoy yours.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another post I don't understand. You do realize this is a forum, right?
Not that difficult to understand. There is 'discussion', and there is simply flaming. The poster after mine suggested finding another string, apparently since I disagree with some of the more critical posts. But then, he's from the SF area, where intolerance to other views is the accepted local mantra. No surprise, there.

The OP disliked aspects of the 991. He clearly can afford, and has had, more than one vehicle. Personally, I suspect it's a great car, but with quirks/defects that one ought not to have in a car with the price tag and profit margin of the Porsche. Just like EVERY 911 variant since the late 90's.

For those who, apparently regard the 991 as a worship object, immune to the critiques of those who believe a $100,000 car should be a $100,000 car: Try objectivity, some time. You may find it intellectually refreshing. And apparently, a completely new experience.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Not that difficult to understand. There is 'discussion', and there is simply flaming. The poster after mine suggested finding another string, apparently since I disagree with some of the more critical posts. But then, he's from the SF area, where intolerance to other views is the accepted local mantra. No surprise, there.
Hah! You're full of over reaction and over generalization, ain't ya? I don't have any problem with critical posts, neither the OPs or anyone else's in this thread. I have a problem when someone like yourself arrogantly tells others what/how to post, rather than actually posting an opinion, perspective or anything else that's actually useful to the thread. The only thing you've added to this discussion so far is whining about other members' posts. To that I say again, take a laxative or maybe find another thread to read if this one bothers you so much.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Now back on topic, something that actually makes me laugh is when I hear anyone say the 991 is the worst 911 ever made and/or it's just become a soft GT car. Those statements are so far from the truth it's comical, and I don't say that as an owner, I say that based upon the numbers and all the professional reviews out there over the past 3+ years. Almost all of them rave about the 991 as a massive improvement over the 997 in every area except the rawness of it.

In the 991, Porsche succeeded in making a much better all around usable car that also goes faster around the racetrack than any 911 before it. So tell me again how much it sucks? How the soft grand touring ****box is capable, on similar tires, of lapping a track as fast as the brand new GT4? And continues to beat the competition in just about every comparison test, even with the 2.5 year old model? Such a piece of crap.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM
hmkrpa
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed
Wow.
No strong feelings on this string, fortunately.

The guy drove a 991. He's had other Porsches. He hates the 991. To each his own.
Cut him some slack, f'r God's sake---he didn't yank on your mom's mustache, he just said he's unimpressed with the stretch version of the 911. Let it go.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review

This whole post is ridiculous!

Something about bitching about the worst $24K ever spent on something with no *****??

Something costing 100K should have *****?

Now someone brings up San Francisco?? Geez, for 100K you can get *****, and even a third one attached in SF if you're needing them.

People, you have choices where to spend your money. Do your homework first and move on if not happy. There's always another car out there for you.

I love it when some past Porsche owners start bashing the car when they post their "moved on to another brand/car" thread. If to somehow justify their decision. Bizarre.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:53 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

sounds like you spec'd the wrong 991, bad move for you, no doubt but i wouldn't throw the whole platform under the bus
Old 06-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

The OP disliked aspects of the 991. He clearly can afford, and has had, more than one vehicle. Personally, I suspect it's a great car, but with quirks/defects that one ought not to have in a car with the price tag and profit margin of the Porsche. Just like EVERY 911 variant since the late 90's.

For those who, apparently regard the 991 as a worship object, immune to the critiques of those who believe a $100,000 car should be a $100,000 car: Try objectivity, some time. You may find it intellectually refreshing. And apparently, a completely new experience.
Let me clarify my position. I'm not the biggest fan of the 991 myself, but that is besides the point. What I found ridiculous is that the OP went to the top shelf statement that this was the worst $24K he has ever spent, and complaining about it, especially that a $100K car should have more power. I would like to point out (again) that a test drive should've saved him form this terrible hardship. The car wasn't a lemon, it didn't give him unexpected problems, it performed the way the base 991 performs. I have my issues with the 991 as well (not going to post that all again), but I don't blame Porsche for that.

And if you think that was flaming holy **** are you in for a surprise here at rennlist LOL!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
And if you think that was flaming holy **** are you in for a surprise here at rennlist LOL!
Seriously. 56 posts in and he's already a moderator.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Lets send him to the OT section for one week to harden him up a bit.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No; just moderate. And not so emotionally wrapped up in a CAR, that I cannot tolerate someone complaining about their personal experience with the same one I might happen to own/lease.

But no, let's not debate the merits of the vehicle: Instead, let's all pile on the OP and question his common sense, asserting that he did not take a test drive, or that he expects too much from a car that costs 2x the average family income, or that he simply doesn't comprehend the flawless crystalline purity of the 991 (Allah's Praise be unto it).
That seems to be an excellent stimulus for conversation.

I think you're right, Archimedes---this isn't the string for me. But not for the reasons you might think.
Oh, and not to worry: my bowels are fine. Thanks for your concern.

Quick Reply: Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review