Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review

Originally Posted by Valkuri
No; just moderate. And not so emotionally wrapped up in a CAR, that I cannot tolerate someone complaining about their personal experience with the same one I might happen to own/lease.

But no, let's not debate the merits of the vehicle: Instead, let's all pile on the OP and question his common sense, asserting that he did not take a test drive, or that he expects too much from a car that costs 2x the average family income, or that he simply doesn't comprehend the flawless crystalline purity of the 991 (Allah's Praise be unto it).
That seems to be an excellent stimulus for conversation.

I think you're right, Archimedes---this isn't the string for me. But not for the reasons you might think.
Oh, and not to worry: my bowels are fine. Thanks for your concern.

What are you driving?? A 991?

Ever owned one?

Last edited by STG; 06-14-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
No; just moderate. And not so emotionally wrapped up in a CAR, that I cannot tolerate someone complaining about their personal experience with the same one I might happen to own/lease.

But no, let's not debate the merits of the vehicle: Instead, let's all pile on the OP and question his common sense, asserting that he did not take a test drive, or that he expects too much from a car that costs 2x the average family income, or that he simply doesn't comprehend the flawless crystalline purity of the 991 (Allah's Praise be unto it).
That seems to be an excellent stimulus for conversation.

I think you're right, Archimedes---this isn't the string for me. But not for the reasons you might think.
Oh, and not to worry: my bowels are fine. Thanks for your concern.
If you read all the posts you will learn that some of us do not praise the 991 unconditionally; work on your comprehension skills. I'm not sure what the "cost 2x the average family income" has to do with anything - again, OP had all the facts before the purchase. If he didn't bother with research or a test drive he is an idiot, pretty simple. In regards to "pile on the OP" - not sure what he or you are expecting when you post something so ridiculously flawed.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Ya; M96/97 in the cheaper non-Turbo non-GT models.
Mine is an 05 C2S, but it is a later production and I am pretty sure its the M97, as I know its the bigger factory IMS bearing.
Jim
Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 748 Posts

This thread delivers too
Old 06-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Hah! You're full of over reaction and over generalization, ain't ya? I don't have any problem with critical posts, neither the OPs or anyone else's in this thread. I have a problem when someone like yourself arrogantly tells others what/how to post, rather than actually posting an opinion, perspective or anything else that's actually useful to the thread. The only thing you've added to this discussion so far is whining about other members' posts. To that I say again, take a laxative or maybe find another thread to read if this one bothers you so much.
If you have a problem with someone arrogantly telling others how they should post here then you should look in the mirror and take your own pharmaceutical advice. I agree with Valkuri that the OP has a right to his opinion and I don't understand the heat of objection raised here. The OP didn't like his 911 and way too many of you find that sacrilegious. Get over yourself. He wasn't nasty or unreasonable about his objections. That he didn't take a test drive is odd, if he didn't, so flame away about that, but even if he had driven the car before he leased it he wouldn't get a full sense of the car and could well find the same car he liked so much when he first leased it to be underpowered after he had more experience with it. That happened to me when I traded in a Cayman GTS with 1,000 miles on it for a 911 GTS. I think he raises a valid point about the 7MT. The first four gears notch naturally, but above that fifth gear is a wider throw requiring more effort and it can be a bit of a hunt rowing up and down. Did Porsche really design the 991 around the PDK? I missed that Chris Harris podcast. Finally, the OP is not impressed with any of the anger directed towards him, bemused is how he appears to me. He was just sharing his impression of his car, not trying to upset your little world.

You guys can be such girls sometimes.

Last edited by Yard Dog; 06-15-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
If you have a problem with someone arrogantly telling others how they should post here then you should look in the mirror and take your own pharmaceutical advice. I agree with Valkuri that the OP has a right to his opinion and I don't understand the heat of objection raised here. The OP didn't like his 911 and way too many of you find that sacrilegious. Get over yourself. He wasn't nasty or unreasonable about his objections. That he didn't take a test drive is odd, if he didn't, so flame away about that, but even if he had driven the car before he leased it he wouldn't get a full sense of the car and could well find the same car he liked so much when he first leased it to be underpowered after he had more experience with it. That's happened to me when I traded in a Cayman GTS with 1,000 miles on it for a 911 GTS. I think he raises a valid point about the 7MT. The first four gears notch naturally, but above that fifth gear is a wider throw requiring more effort and it can be a bit of a hunt rowing up and down. Did Porsche really design the 911 around the PDK? I missed that Chris Harris podcast. Finally, the OP is not impressed with any of the anger directed towards him, bemused is how he appears to me. He was just sharing his impression of his car, not trying to upset your little world.

I think the responses reflect the overly dramatic thread title - Worst $24K ever spent - LOL!
Old 06-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
Hahahaha! No Vette please. BMW are great cars!

Bad experience with the 991. Thats that.
I had a 997 C2S and loved it. 993 C2 love it.
you should probably drive one if you had issues with the 991 C2 I dont know of a current BMW that wont make that car look like a classic YMMV

you could'nt GIVE me a BMW ... unless it was as a target for a Barrett .50 BMG rifle...
Old 06-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a problem with someone arrogantly telling others how they should post here then you should look in the mirror and take your own pharmaceutical advice. I agree with Valkuri that the OP has a right to his opinion and I don't understand the heat of objection raised here. The OP didn't like his 911 and way too many of you find that sacrilegious. Get over yourself. He wasn't nasty or unreasonable about his objections. That he didn't take a test drive is odd, if he didn't, so flame away about that, but even if he had driven the car before he leased it he wouldn't get a full sense of the car and could well find the same car he liked so much when he first leased it to be underpowered after he had more experience with it. That's happened to me when I traded in a Cayman GTS with 1,000 miles on it for a 911 GTS. I think he raises a valid point about the 7MT. The first four gears notch naturally, but above that fifth gear is a wider throw requiring more effort and it can be a bit of a hunt rowing up and down. Did Porsche really design the 911 around the PDK? I missed that Chris Harris podcast. Finally, the OP is not impressed with any of the anger directed towards him, bemused is how he appears to me. He was just sharing his impression of his car, not trying to upset your little world.

I own a 2015 991 w/PDK and 911F1's assessment of the hard *** seats and maddening reflection issue are spot on!!! I love my car but hell, it's not perfect and when you get into $100K plus territory you expect the basics, such as seats, to border on perfection and not have to deal with annoying dashboard reflections on the windshield!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

If you have a problem with someone arrogantly telling others how they should post here then you should look in the mirror and take your own pharmaceutical advice.
Do you have reading comprehension issues? Show me where I jumped on the OP for his opinion. I merely stated my perspective about the car and that some of his comments were inconsistent with public commentary. How is that jumping on the OP or claiming he didn't have a right to his opinion?

If you come into an enthusiast forum with negative opinions, particularly when you use an inflammatory thread title, you're going to get a lively discussion. If you don't want to be part of it, feel free to move along. I'm guessing the OP has big boy pants on and can fight his own battles.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgun
I own a 2015 991 w/PDK and 911F1's assessment of the hard *** seats and maddening reflection issue are spot on!!! I love my car but hell, it's not perfect and when you get into $100K plus territory you expect the basics, such as seats, to border on perfection and not have to deal with annoying dashboard reflections on the windshield!
Do you have a beige interior? I've heard that the beige interior reflects a lot.

I have black in both cars and the only time I notice reflection is when I move from sun to shade. I went for a drive today in the C2S and focused on this and had almost zero reflection out on the road in the sun. The only thing I noticed was the ring on the SportChrono reflecting in the windshield, but again I was specifically looking for it.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

As an aside, when I sold my 2013 991 with PDK, my dealer, nor any others within 300 miles, had a 7MT for me to test drive. I merely assumed the MT was the same as my 1995 993. Not so! All dealers should have a 7MT before they are permitted to take an order for one.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by freeman
As an aside, when I sold my 2013 991 with PDK, my dealer, nor any others within 300 miles, had a 7MT for me to test drive. I merely assumed the MT was the same as my 1995 993. Not so! All dealers should have a 7MT before they are permitted to take an order for one.
I think the government should regulate this.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Do you have reading comprehension issues? Show me where I jumped on the OP for his opinion. I merely stated my perspective about the car and that some of his comments were inconsistent with public commentary. How is that jumping on the OP or claiming he didn't have a right to his opinion?

If you come into an enthusiast forum with negative opinions, particularly when you use an inflammatory thread title, you're going to get a lively discussion. If you don't want to be part of it, feel free to move along. I'm guessing the OP has big boy pants on and can fight his own battles.
Are you licensed to practice medicine?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Are you licensed to practice medicine?
Here's my prescription:

Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This is becoming terrible. Why not just forget it. Please stop the abuse as only you folks can impose. We all have opinions. We live in a Democracy that allows us to express opinions. PLEASE STOP

Quick Reply: Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review