Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,865 Likes on 1,902 Posts

OP, the only thing I could agree with you is that I find the 3.4 liter motor wanting for power. Test drove a couple and they just don't feel like 350HP to me.

Don't know what you mean by 'everyone talks about the electric steering and its bad', as most reviewers talk about it and then say it's actually pretty darn good and that all the hand wringing is much ado about nothing.

I think the 14 way seats are awesome and I had no trouble finding every gear on the 7MT I test drove. The gear box was simply awesome. And I don't notice any excess glare on either my Cayman S or Carrera S, though both are black interiors.

Based on the experience of most on this board, your comments are coming pretty far out of left field.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:44 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Rented a base 14 C2 Hertz last year for a day while visiting friends in Marina del Rey, CA. Felt a little more power and options were needed. Went ahead and purchased a 6 month young stacked 50th and could not be happier. T
Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,337 Likes on 4,988 Posts

Worst, huh?

Guess you never bought Enron stock.

Lucky you.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review

Could be worse!
Attached Images    
Old 06-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In regards to the no ***** comment (related, my dog got neutered yesterday), did you test drive the car? I agree with you that the C2 is a bit weak, but you find that out within 10 minutes of driving. Why didn't get the S version?
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.
No strong feelings on this string, fortunately.

The guy drove a 991. He's had other Porsches. He hates the 991. To each his own.
Cut him some slack, f'r God's sake---he didn't yank on your mom's mustache, he just said he's unimpressed with the stretch version of the 911. Let it go.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,865 Likes on 1,902 Posts

It's called a discussion forum. You know, where you discuss things. OP started a thread and now people are discussing his comments. Maybe you should take a laxative and/or read a different thread.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:30 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your honesty. I have a 2014 991 C2. Only difference is I got the PDK. I intended to buy the 7MT. But after extensively test driving two different manuals for nearly an hour each I came to the same conclusion you did:

Originally Posted by 911F1
First, I'll start with the shift pattern of the 991(Chris Harris actually commented about this on a Podcast). Porsche designed the car around the PDK box. The 991 manual box is positioned in the car funky. The shift pattern suffers because of this. When you shift from 4th to 5th, the pattern is much wider than a 2nd to 3rd shift. When I shift up or down from 4th to 5th your lucky if you find the gear quickly. Very annoying! Every throw between gears vertical and horizontal should be equal. Maybe 7th should be way out because its a overdrive gear.
I hated the 7MT. The shift pattern felt awful and unnatural. I was coming from a 5MT Cayman which was gorgeous. I had heard the same thing about the car being built around the PDK gearbox and that the 7MT was added on later.

As for your other complaints? Not sure I totally agree. I find the 3.4L plenty in fast anywhere other than the track. You just have to take it up over 4,500RPM. If you're shifting before then you're not getting the full speed out of it.

The 20" tires I do think are a bit harsh and ruin some of the driving feel. If I were to do it again, I might get the 19" wheels.

I can't notice the difference the electric steering makes.

I purchased my car in full and will be driving it for many years to come.

All the best.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:57 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

One thing I would agree with (I have the same 14-way seats in a 981) is that the lumbar support is poorly positioned. That said, the seats are capable of good support and comfort, but only when I sit bolt upright.

It's a German car, and these are German seats, even though they're made in the USA as I understand it. The Germans want you to sit up straight. If you slouch, the seats will punish you for it.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:11 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,043 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I had one of this (1996 C4S):

Name:  c4s2_zpsbd92b8dd.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  79.3 KB

It was beautiful to look at. Maybe even Porsche's best looking 911. I would have kept it but for the following reasons: 1) Slow. Just 286 HP as I recall. 2) Suspension was iffy - a real handful in the climbing esses at V.I.R. 3) Primitive interior 4) Small and a little cramped inside. 5) Bowl of Noodles gearbox.

Now this one is just flat out delicious, its everything the 993 was not. The more I drive it. the more I like it (manual trans, too)

Name:  DSC01567_zps86d4e121.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  148.8 KB

I'd never go back, but get whatever floats yer boat.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:30 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm nearing the end of my 2yr 2013 991 C2 manual lease.
Did you really pay just $24k to lease a $100k car for two years? That sounds like a screaming deal.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:46 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

Actually I'm a little worried after reading this post. I currently have the 997S in my avatar which I bought new and really enjoy driving but will be getting rid of when my GTS arrives. I drove a 991 base manual and liked the car, figuring I would really like it w 80 more hp. I took the leap as I think this really will be one of the last of the NA manual transmissions available. Maybe I better plan on keeping mine for awhile after I get the new one to be sure.
Jim
Old 06-14-2015, 07:15 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm nearing the end of my 2yr 2013 991 C2 manual lease. I also own a 95 993 C2. Having a great air cooled Porsche to compare with the 991. Probably makes matters worst for the 991. But, anyhow...

First, I'll start with the shift pattern of the 991(Chris Harris actually commented about this on a Podcast). Porsche designed the car around the PDK box. The 991 manual box is positioned in the car funky. The shift pattern suffers because of this. When you shift from 4th to 5th, the pattern is much wider than a 2nd to 3rd shift. When I shift up or down from 4th to 5th your lucky if you find the gear quickly. Very annoying! Every throw between gears vertical and horizontal should be equal. Maybe 7th should be way out because its a overdrive gear.

Second, The interior of the car is very annoying. The dash reflection on the windshield is terrible. If you have a light color dash its even worst. My car also has the stainless steel trim. The sun reflects off this material like no other. These may seem like small things but they'll mess with you every time you drive the car. Now lets talk about the seats. I have the standard 12 way seats(Whatever Porsche calls them). Who was in charge of making these things. The Hunchback of Notre dame! The lumbar support sticks out toward your back. Even when you set it all the way back into the seat. Why not have it return into the seat completely. Then if you want some lumbar you hit the switch forward to get it back. My previous Audi was the same way. Lets move onto the seat cushions. Rock hard! If I wanted race buckets or sport seats I would have ordered them. Every time I go for a long drive. I reach my destination feeling like I went on a International flight. Not the most comfy car. Some might say I should have a Cadillac. But lets be honest. You should able to drive for 4 hours and not feel sore.

Third,
Everyone talks about the electric steering rack. Yes, its bad. Very bad. I hate the lack of feedback the steering has.

Fourth,
The 3.4l engine has no *****. For $100k. One should get some *****.

Fifth,
The 20" S wheels have the most uncomfortable ride. This and the hard seat cushions equal a trip to a chiropractor. The Pirelli PZero tires are garbage as well. I did one autocross with them and they started falling apart. Major tire degradation. Not cheap to replace them.

To sum it up. The 991 C2 wasn't all bad. It does handle very well (PASM is equipped). It will run circles around the 993 in that category. The 991 drive isn't as engaging as the 993 though. And that makes a huge difference. I will never lease or own a 991 C2 again. That is certain. Hopefully others have had a better experience than I did. Maybe different trim levels would help with some of the problems I noticed. Things that could help, 19" wheels, different seats, PDK transmission, 3.8l C2S motor, etc... Hopefully this will help others who are ordering a C2. Maybe this will help potential buyers think about a few things when they go on a test drive. Take care.
I hated my 991 when I first got it. Once I came to accept the fact that it was a more of a GT car I started to appreciate it for what it is and now I actually enjoy it. There really isn't another new model from another brand to replace it. The days of fun, involving driver's cars are all but over.

A lot of your issues could have been solved with an "S" which definitely has ***** and a PDK since a real manual has 6 gears anyways.

The suspension in my 991 is far more comfortable than the one in my 993 and I have SPASM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:20 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Actually I'm a little worried after reading this post. I currently have the 997S in my avatar which I bought new and really enjoy driving but will be getting rid of when my GTS arrives. I drove a 991 base manual and liked the car, figuring I would really like it w 80 more hp. I took the leap as I think this really will be one of the last of the NA manual transmissions available. Maybe I better plan on keeping mine for awhile after I get the new one to be sure.
Jim
Unless you configured and purchased it new get rid of it. If you really don't like the 991 and could afford a 991 GTS you'd be well served by moving to a 997.2 GTS instead. M96's are going to continue to depreciate and I think some day the difference in price between a 997.1 and 997.2 is going to be far more substantial than it is now as the M96 based 911's rightfully take their place as the worst 911s Porsche ever produced.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:34 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Sorry, but I agree with 911F1!

As you can see below, I have owned 5 other MT Porsches since 1974 and one PDK.

Since I have learned to drive a different 7-speed MT, I am in love with my 2015 991 GTS. It is unquestionably different but unquestionably fantastic.

Please do not trash it until you own it.
Some of us have also owned a hole host of 911's such as my 993 C4S, 997 Carrera, 997 Carrera 4 and now my 991 Carrera - all manuals.

The 991 is a GT car and the manual requires one pays attention. The OP should have driven a few....sounds like he's not an attention to detail kind of guy having gone base instead of S!

Quick Reply: Worst $24k ever spent / 991 lease 2yr review