Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question number 2 on second week of owning my 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015 | 03:49 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Default Dumb question number 2 on second week of owning my 991

This is my first Porsche FYI. Is there a way to turn off what I am reading since I did not know it had it(??) is the artificial engine sound of the car inside? The house mates of my 911 are all natural (Audi RS5 to the left and R8 GT to the right) and I like the sound of my Carrera S with the windows down as yup it sounds exactly like a 911 should and a friend just remarked tonight as I drove up that my car sounds like an air cooled old school 911...and I agree. But if I am getting something not so real inside I would rather not and just hear the car.

Old 05-23-2015 | 04:55 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

There is a sound symposer connecting the intake to the cabin via a resonator. The sound is not artificial (unlike some vw/bmw) but it is an amplification piped to the inside which means it's not the real exhaust note you're hearing and many people prefer it without. The symposer is valved to turn on when in sport mode. Many people prefer to block the symposer tube which is a relatively easy procedure requiring about 10 mins and a microfibres towel / sock / similar to damp the noise. There are plenty of links... Search symposer. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2015 | 09:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Good man. Keep the RS5 out in the weather. I really have always like the R8. So low, so wide. Nice stable.

I'd say cut up the Gator flag, and use a piece of that. Don't want to waste a good sock.
Old 05-23-2015 | 02:09 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good man. Keep the RS5 out in the weather. I really have always like the R8. So low, so wide. Nice stable.

I'd say cut up the Gator flag, and use a piece of that. Don't want to waste a good sock.
LOL...my wife would like to use the flag too...she's the OU grad. Poor RS5 is homeless for another few months until additional freestanding garage is built to hold it and my Cadillac. I have a very limited edition Audi TT hiding next to the Porsche and that slot is way too thin for the hips of the RS5. R8 is an incredible machine. Driving the 911 for a week and jumping back in the R8 really points out how well balanced and responsive that car really is.
Old 05-23-2015 | 02:12 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
There is a sound symposer connecting the intake to the cabin via a resonator. The sound is not artificial (unlike some vw/bmw) but it is an amplification piped to the inside which means it's not the real exhaust note you're hearing and many people prefer it without. The symposer is valved to turn on when in sport mode. Many people prefer to block the symposer tube which is a relatively easy procedure requiring about 10 mins and a microfibres towel / sock / similar to damp the noise. There are plenty of links... Search symposer. Good luck!
Got it. Thank you for the explanation. That makes more sense to me. Plug may be coming. I'm ok with the sound but it can be a bit much. My R8 has a V10 right behind my head and as an edition that has sound deadening reduced I think it is less intrusive to me under hard acceleration.
Old 05-23-2015 | 02:39 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Found it... now to go find a sock.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7046...n-inlet-2.html
Old 05-23-2015 | 05:18 PM
Powereng
Racer

Just did the plug and need to check it, I did notice since I just got home that it was pretty warm, guessing it does not heat up to combustion temperatures. I used a plastic plug I had sitting around, but should hold up as good as a sock and better than a gator flag...
Old 05-23-2015 | 11:11 PM
7and911
Advanced

Sorry for my silly question but where is the sound symposer and how can I reach it in a cabrio car please?
Old 05-24-2015 | 02:28 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by 7and911
Sorry for my silly question but where is the sound symposer and how can I reach it in a cabrio car please?
Well you do not have the same thing... more an issue with the sport exhaust droning... link for your pleasure. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8689...-and-cabs.html
Old 05-28-2015 | 01:59 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Finally plugged the pipe tonight... just in a drive around the neighborhood I like it better. Used some pipe insulation rolled tight and stuffed into it.
Old 05-28-2015 | 02:16 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

BTW - read the entire referenced thread and there is a post that attributes a Porsche tech with stating that Cabs do have the Symposer. I'm taking our Cab in to the dealer for some additional rattle remediation tomorrow, I guess I'll have to ask around about the Symposer and Cabs.
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:39 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by beaverlake
BTW - read the entire referenced thread and there is a post that attributes a Porsche tech with stating that Cabs do have the Symposer. I'm taking our Cab in to the dealer for some additional rattle remediation tomorrow, I guess I'll have to ask around about the Symposer and Cabs.
Shows my reading comprehension but that is why I linked the post. : ) Drove on the interstate and somewhat hard all day in sport mode and I must say I prefer this thing plugged. I am not really sure why they decided to do it, for my taste anyway. It also allows me to dive deeper into the revs without flinching which is a good thing to keep it in the right part of the rev band. My internal noise meter to rpm has not adjusted to the car yet. Not a problem in my v10.

Quick Reply: Dumb question number 2 on second week of owning my 991