Sponsored by:

PSE and Cabs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:00 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default PSE and Cabs

Let me start with an heretical statement: I don't like the sound of the PSE when I'm on the highway with the top down.

Now I do love PSE and I'm happy I got it, but this is the first time that I've had PSE on a Cab. With the top up, it sounds fantastic (I know that this is partially due to the sound being "piped in"). And with the top down around the city, it's even better with a bunch of gurgling when I lift my foot off the accelerator.

But with the top down, cruising in 6th at highway speeds, all I hear is a very loud, monotonous droning sound. The pitch is pretty unpleasant and I find that I'm turning the PSE off to eliminate its annoyance. But I'm wondering whether this is a break-in thing (I've only driven about 400 miles), or whether this is what others have experienced.

Opinions and experiences from Cab owners are appreciated.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Just the opposite with you. I sometimes turn the PSE off, with the top closed, on long highway cruises, to make the cabin just a little quieter, less drone (very slight). Top down, all I hear is the PSE, wind noise, music, bliss, and no drone. I'm almost top down, Sport Plus, PSE on.....99% of the time the past 13,000 miles.

In other words, I think the wind noise, drowns out the very slight drone.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:25 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My '07 C4s X51 cab had PSE (no simposer) and I loved the quality of the pipes/tips but almost never turned it on top up or down. I didn't care for the sound as compared to the normal flat6 sound. And since it offers no performance enhancements (according to official Porsche documentation) I vowed to not have it again. My '10 C2s had a Sharkwerks CM bypass and I loved that sound! Now my '13 C4s doesn't have PSE but it does have flaps or baffles that open at 3300rpm and it sounds great. And the Sharkwerks CM delete for the 991S takes away those flap valves (must plug them) so I am staying w stock this time. I'm getting older too ! Now if my car had PSE, I would be happy but would probably not use it!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm almost top down, Sport Plus, PSE on.....99% of the time the past 13,000 miles.

In other words, I think the wind noise, drowns out the very slight drone.
Same here. 40 - 95 + degrees - the top is down. Probably true for most of us who suffer thru long, cold winters and try to store up as much sunshine as possible. I always chuckle when I'm in California and Florida and see all those beautiful convertibles buttoned up tight with the A/C blasting inside!

I'm wondering - do you remember any change in the exhaust note pitch as the engine broke in?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I always chuckle when I'm in California and Florida and see all those beautiful convertibles buttoned up tight with the A/C blasting inside!

I'm wondering - do you remember any change in the exhaust note pitch as the engine broke in?
Yeah, I always say, "WTF" to myself when I see that.

2014 C2S Cab with PowerKit:

I did not notice much difference with the PSE pitch or engine idle sounds post engine break-in procedure. But keep in mind, I did follow the book at keeping stuff below 4,000 rpm for 2,000 miles. So, in all fairness, things started to sound MUCHO different at mile 2,001!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:57 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have PSE on 100% of the time with top up or down. In town, normally drive Sport+ Manual shift as well. The PSE is pure music to me and especially with the top down. Buying the Burmester was a waste of $.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:03 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

There are no symposer pipes in the 991 Cabs, thats only for the Coupes (don't know about the Targa?). With the roof and windows up, your car becomes a boom box chamber, like a speaker enclosure, that's why you hear it well. Remove half the enclosure with the top down and the sound dissipates, simple as that. There is no 'break in' of an exhaust system.

I run a Tubi Exhaust on my Cab - its very pleasant all the time in all configurations.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:26 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
There are no symposer pipes in the 991 Cabs, thats only for the Coupes (don't know about the Targa?).
I didn't know that. Great Rennlist feedback. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
But keep in mind, I did follow the book at keeping stuff below 4,000 rpm for 2,000 miles. So, in all fairness, things started to sound MUCHO different at mile 2,001!
I gotta admit, I've always been a "drive it like you stole it" guy. Impatient, Type-A I guess.

I've got a good friend who shares my passion for cars. We've done five BMW EDs together. When we did the first one many years ago, he drove my 545 out of the old (pre-Welt) pick-up center. Turning onto the nearby autobahn entrance, he looked at me and asked when BMW's break-in period expired. I looked down at my watch and said, "just about NOW". He down-shifted and went WOT. "Just about NOW" has been our mantra ever since. A bit juvenile, yes. But when you're in your mid-50s, the chances of being a kid kinda dissipate!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed PSE in my cab ... I often turn if off when cruising at a constant RPM on the highway, it does tend to drone ... but I think almost any exhaust will exhibit that characteristic if you're maintaining a steady 3000 rpm for any length of time ... the beauty of the PSE is when the revs are varied, especially on the downshifts.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:24 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vjd3
I installed PSE in my cab ... I often turn if off when cruising at a constant RPM on the highway, it does tend to drone ... but I think almost any exhaust will exhibit that characteristic if you're maintaining a steady 3000 rpm for any length of time ... the beauty of the PSE is when the revs are varied, especially on the downshifts.
That's it exactly!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I gotta admit, I've always been a "drive it like you stole it" guy. Impatient, Type-A I guess.

I've got a good friend who shares my passion for cars. We've done five BMW EDs together. When we did the first one many years ago, he drove my 545 out of the old (pre-Welt) pick-up center. Turning onto the nearby autobahn entrance, he looked at me and asked when BMW's break-in period expired. I looked down at my watch and said, "just about NOW". He down-shifted and went WOT. "Just about NOW" has been our mantra ever since. A bit juvenile, yes. But when you're in your mid-50s, the chances of being a kid kinda dissipate!
you (and your friend) are my kind of guys ... I shall dedicate my 1st derestricted autobahn sprint to you both!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you (and your friend) are my kind of guys ... I shall dedicate my 1st derestricted autobahn sprint to you both!
Ya . . . ED . . . let's see . . .
Unrestricted autobahn - Check
Nurnburgring - Check
Engine Break-in Period - Really? Ya gotta be kidding me!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts
Default PSE and Cabs

sadly no ring trip for me this time ... wife is copilot and she is high maint ... no 5 star resorts at the ring
Old 04-17-2015, 12:47 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't that the beauty of PSE - you can turn it off when you so chose.

The only time I turn PSE off is when truly cruising on the highway with the family (top up).

Quick Reply: PSE and Cabs