New Manual Transmission GTS Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Manual Transmission GTS Question

I have owned 4 MT Porsches. They were delights. My 2013 991 PDK bored me. So, I bought the GTS. It was delivered 5-days ago.

I am having dreadful problems operating the 7MT in the GTS. Even though I have only driven it for 5 days and we had weekend guests, I am driving it like a masturbating bear-cub. I stall it in town quite frequently and I miss gears more frequently. The reasons are that the clutch must be fully depressed to the floor (something I never did on any Porsche I have owned; I used a mere toe-flick), the pedals are suspended from the upper level rather than the floor and the gear box is notchy and unforgiving (they tried to fit 7 gears into a 6 gear shifting mechanism). I came home this morning with the smell of a burning clutch.

I am not unknowledgeable. I have taken two Porsche Driving Experience Schools and a Skip Barber School. I have run my previous Porsches at Club events.

Has anyone gone from an older MT to a 991 PDK and then to a 991 GTS manual transmission? What are your experiences? Are you satisfied? I need to know if it is my driving style.

Thank you for the kindness of your input. If anyone has further unkind remarks, please keep them to yourself. I am only asking for information.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I drove my first 7MT Carrera S a few weeks ago, jumping straight out of my PDK '14 Cayman S into it. Only thing I noticed was the clutch pedal initially felt oddly close to the brake pedal, but I hadn't driven a manual in about 6 years, so I think it was just rust.

Had no trouble with the clutch and was blown away by how light the clutch was and how smooth the gearbox was. Only hiccup was one time I almost got 3rd instead of 5th when I was yapping with the salesman. He did comment that it's near impossible to stall these cars with the manual, given how the clutch engages.

I wonder if something is out of adjustment on your car. The one I drove certainly didn't have a late disengagement point like you describe. It was actually quite high/mid travel.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

I test drove a MT GTS. The only thing I really noticed was that the clutch pedal seemed very high. It felt really odd, but other than that, I had no issues. I thought the gearbox was really smooth - almost too smooth, like it lacked a mechanical feel. Not necessarily a bad thing, just what I noticed. Hope things work out for you.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

You had me at >masturbating bear-cub<...

Speaking of which, and to your question, give it some time. 5 days is a little quick to rush to judgment. Just ask a bear cub...

DaveGee
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I have driven 911's since the mid 1980's, all manuals. I really thought I would get a manual in my 991 GTS, but just wasn't happy with the 7 speed manual. Not saying it is bad, and not trying to start another manual vs PDK debate. But, I opted for the PDK and so far very happy.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your experience so far, Freeman. What you're describing is very unlike my experience with the manual in my '13 C2S. Sorry I don't have a more recent benchmark for you.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a PDK, so I have nothing of value to offer this discussion. I'm just hanging out here, lol. On a related note, anyone have suggestions of where to keep my cell phone in my 991?
Old 05-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
5 days is a little quick to rush to judgment.
Not if he smokes his clutch in 6 days. Reason #186,231,902 why PDK>7MT
Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Freeman - sorry I can't help. I'm sure this is obvious, but maybe find another 991 manual to test drive just to make sure it's not something funky with your car. What you're describing doesn't sound right. Or, said differently, if it were widely experienced it seems as though there'd be much more chatter about it here.

Not sure where you are in SF or from whom you bought your GTS, but I know Rector had a C4S w/ 7MT as of Saturday afternoon.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 PM
danoberer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Freeman,

First, congrats on the car! Your color combo is stunning! I picked up a rhodium silver/espresso leather 7MT GTS at the end of march. Gorgeous cars! I traded in my 2008 M3 coupe to make the purchase (great car for half the price of a GTS!).

I am having problems with the clutch as well, and it is really harming my enjoyment of the car I have owned nothing but manual transmissions my whole life, and have extensively driven just about every iteration of MT 911 from SC through GT3 and 991. I have owned an 89 targa for 15 years and love it dearly: after adjusting the pedals it's perfect.

The clutch in the GTS is offset way far to the right, directly under the steering wheel. I find its travel to be inordinately long. This is strange, as the Getawayer raved about its short travel. I have very long legs, and with the seat back I can barely reach to push the clutch all the way in! However, with the crazy long clutch travel and offset, I have to twist my hip to avoid hitting the steering wheel with my knee. This has become painful.
Also, the clutch and brake pedals are very high in relation to the dead pedal and throttle. A local dealer mechanic said the pedals cannot be adjusted.
IMHO, this whole set up is suboptimal for driving dynamics and biomechanical efficiency. It seems there is room to spread the pedals out farther as in other cars: I suppose this setup was done for modularity and cost efficiency.... The car was clearly designed for PDK. Having said that, I think the 7MT shift action is smooth and superb. Your car's notchiness will likely improve with break in.

I will keep asking around to see if modifications on pedal travel and engagement point can be made. Please keep me posted if you learn anything.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I test drove a MT GTS. The only thing I really noticed was that the clutch pedal seemed very high. It felt really odd, but other than that, I had no issues. I thought the gearbox was really smooth - almost too smooth, like it lacked a mechanical feel. Not necessarily a bad thing, just what I noticed. Hope things work out for you.
Agree with this. The clutch pedal is high and has a lot (too much) of travel. The gear lever also takes some getting used to as it also sits very high. The transmission itself works great. I do feel that it works better if you switch off the auto stop function as this has caused my car to stall (and restart very quickly)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 PM
guod
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't driven a manual 911 before except on test drive but have had zero problems since picking up the GTS. Clutch pedal seems fine and no problems stalling. Sounds like something could be wrong.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm so glad to hear the 7MT sucks! I've been having buyer's remorse over my choice of PDK, thinking about those sweet manual shifts in my other Porsches and wishing I was enjoying the same in this otherwise delicious GTS.

Now it is so relieving to learn that I'd be having PDK-remorse if I had gotten the 7MT.

Please, those of you who "claim" to like your 7MT -- go start some other thread that I can ignore and don't cloud this one. I need this.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:07 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I don't have any issues at all with my manual trans 991S cab, I find the gearbox to be delightful, the best of all the many Porsches I have owned. Perhaps just give it some time. Grab a quick drive in another manual trans 991 to see if its markedly different from yours.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The manual box is great, you just need to:
1) turn off start/stop
2) get used to the long clutch travel
3) get used to the somewhat higher position of the gear lever

I would not go for a PDK if I would have to do it again

Quick Reply: New Manual Transmission GTS Question