Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Manual Transmission GTS Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015 | 07:24 PM
swanee1500s
5th Gear

freeman, bishop et al:
Thanks for your responses and comments. After factoring in all the info here and doing some more experimenting, I'm coming to the conclusion that it is most likely me. I made a number of careful starts on level ground using the clutch only (no throttle) and could not detect any resistance to forward motion. The clutch pedal travel is about an inch longer than my other two MT vehicles and I think this, along with the seat, pedal relationships are what I need to get used to. With the seat back far enough for leg comfort I think I was probably not getting the clutch fully depressed. With the seat far enough forward, my throttle foot is then at an awkward, uncomfortable angle. I'm assuming that with the passage of time I'll arrive at some acceptable compromise. Again, thanks to all for the help.
Old 05-31-2015 | 04:13 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

The 7MT is awesome...been driving a 3.2 911 5MT for ten years before getting the 911-50 7MT. It has tons of torque compared to the old car and it is very easy to use. The clutch release low unlike my 3.2 which releases darned near the top of the travel.

The 991 is amazing, but the 3.2 still has more soul. I have a standard 3.5 hour mountain tour I drive most Sunday mornings and both cars are just so much fun...the 3.2 has so much soul with the sounds, the smell, and the small size and light weight. The 991 has amazing performance that never feels out of control. Sport Exhaust and cockpit displays are awesome.

Took me some time getting used to the Hill Hold feature on the 991. I stalled it out the first several times I used it. As soon as the car stalls, it automatically re-starts itself even with the Auto Start/Stop (***) off. I've found that releasing the clutch about half as fast as normal is the way to go to not stall it out on a hill. I leave the *** off. Figure the money I spend on gas while idling will more than make up for not having to replace the battery and starter as wear items like the manual says.
Old 06-06-2015 | 08:05 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

I picked up my new GTS yesterday! It's also a MT, what i didn't testdrive before, so it was a little gamble. My previous car was a 997 Carrera 4 mk2 with PDK, and i didn't really love the PDK. For me in a sportscar, what i use in my spare time, and only on public roads, i want a manual gearbox, so i ordered a new GTS with MT.
So yesterday and today i drove my first 'kilometers' with my new car, and i have to say that i'm impressed. After this topic, i was a little bit nervous, but now i can say that this is the best manual gearbox i have ever driven! OMG what a machine is this! So far i have no problems at all with using this gearbox.
Old 06-06-2015 | 09:19 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMWMB
I picked up my new GTS yesterday! It's also a MT, what i didn't testdrive before, so it was a little gamble. My previous car was a 997 Carrera 4 mk2 with PDK, and i didn't really love the PDK. For me in a sportscar, what i use in my spare time, and only on public roads, i want a manual gearbox, so i ordered a new GTS with MT. So yesterday and today i drove my first 'kilometers' with my new car, and i have to say that i'm impressed. After this topic, i was a little bit nervous, but now i can say that this is the best manual gearbox i have ever driven! OMG what a machine is this! So far i have no problems at all with using this gearbox.
Congratulations on taking delivery! Really great to hear that you're happy with the car and transmission.
Old 06-07-2015 | 10:08 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

So so happy I ordered a MT. Car not here for a long time yet and I just know had I gone w PDK, I'd have a little pain in the pit of my stomach each time thinking about it--course all these dealers seem to over-order PDK and under-order MT, so I guess the upside is I'd be driving my car and not waiting! (Or, in other words, much higher chance of finding a suitable build on the showroom floor somewhere.)
Old 06-07-2015 | 04:25 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by c_Gio
So so happy I ordered a MT. Car not here for a long time yet and I just know had I gone w PDK, I'd have a little pain in the pit of my stomach each time thinking about it--course all these dealers seem to over-order PDK and under-order MT, so I guess the upside is I'd be driving my car and not waiting! (Or, in other words, much higher chance of finding a suitable build on the showroom floor somewhere.)
I had to custom order my car for just that reason, but I'm so happy I did.

Quick Reply: New Manual Transmission GTS Question