Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to check after dropping it off at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What to check after dropping it off at the dealer?

I'm dropping off my 991 for the 1 year oil service today and am a little nervous about them damaging the car. In the past with other cars I've had the subwoofer blown out twice, the power windows broken, and the sunroof damaged.

Is there anything I should do when dropping off/picking up to minimize the chance of damage?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

You're not going to Jiffy Lube are you?? Even there you can watch your car.

You've had these things at a Porsche dealer??? Bizarre. I need to hear the stories here!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You've had these things at a Porsche dealer??? Bizarre. I need to hear the stories here!
Seriously, what kind of amateur hour dealership are you working with? I've only had my car in for a tire swap but it came back in perfect condition, only difference was they washed it for me (hand wash of course).
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Speaking of which, print three or four great big signs that say DO NOT WASH and place in the windows and on the dash.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Speaking of which, print three or four great big signs that say DO NOT WASH and place in the windows and on the dash.
yupp.. 40 plus point font.

I do it all the time and the service advisors laugh at me. But it does the trick.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You're not going to Jiffy Lube are you?? Even there you can watch your car.

Not at a Porsche dealer. Lexus used to come to the house and pick up the car and they blew the subwoofer. The window and sunroof happened at a Lexus dealer. So all those problems were with my local Lexus dealer.

The other blown subwoofer was at a BMW dealer with my convertible. I hardly ever listen to the radio in that car so by the time I caught it they wouldn't repair it.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I'm dropping off my 991 for the 1 year oil service today and am a little nervous about them damaging the car. In the past with other cars I've had the subwoofer blown out twice, the power windows broken, and the sunroof damaged.

Is there anything I should do when dropping off/picking up to minimize the chance of damage?
Before, not much to do. Reject the carwash if that is your thing regarding dealer installed swirls.

Afterwards a quick walk around for hangar rash or wheel rash is warranted. Interior check for big grease spots or sill panels shoe scuffs (that's a favorite). Beyond that, a leap of faith really. At a Porsche dealer really not much risk of joy riding due to the volume of other similar cars there.

Ultimately just remember when you hand over your keys, "these guys know what they are doing... they went to school for this..."
Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Many years ago, the Porsche dealer I still do business with put a nice dent in the passenger door and denied it. It took some "persuasion" but they eventually made it good. The trick is to at least inspect visually before you leave the dealership.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

I always give a check list to my Service Advisor. He transfers the info to the work order. Two things I always make sure to cover are :

1) No wash
2) No tire pressure changes
Old 04-28-2015, 01:29 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe take some perimeter photos all around your car prior to dropping car off if you worry about dealer putting dents/dings in your car. Sad you'd have to even consider this with a Porsche but **** happens everywhere I suppose.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Mad Max Lube and Tire repair, inc?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Mad Max Lube and Tire repair, inc?
Worse, Harlin's.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:28 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your wallet. It will have received the Porsche treatment and will be lighter than before
Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 AM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fo reaaal?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the vast majority of service visits result in absolutely nothing being broken, damaged or dented, and the service being performed as requested.

We obsess far too much about "what if" and stress unnecessarily. The only car I ever had picked up and delivered for service was an Infiniti, and it was a lease and I didn't like it anyway (and they didn't damage it in delivery, just a poor repair).

My father-in-law would bring in his wife's BMW for service, which had some minor body damage from when she hit a sign, and they would make a huge deal about it each time, taking pictures and noting the damage. It really pissed him off, but I understand why they did that, to protect themselves.

When I take a car in, any car, I just tell them "no wash" and let it be. Then later I clean up all the mess they made. I trust the mechanics - the wash guys, not so much.

Quick Reply: What to check after dropping it off at the dealer?