Sponsored by:

The porsche 'wave'

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I've seen 911's speed up to prevent merging, actually going out of their way to be rude when you'd think it'd be the opposite. Probably the worst though was one guy in a beautiful Ferrari, been a while so I forget the model. Beautiful sunny day, when down the ramp comes another Ferrari. Two shiny Ferrari's, one gleaming Porsche, both of the Ferrari guys doing an absolutely perfect job of ignoring everything around them. After a while it was like a game, me just knowing at some point one was going to give some subtle gesture of acknowledgement to the other. But no. They drove exactly side by side, me right behind them, a very long time, just staring stoic as hell straight ahead. After a while I actually felt sorry for them.
LOL, it's like two ladies showing up at the party in the same $4000 dress. Nothing robs you of the splendor of your Pferrari like another one right next to it.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:13 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, it's like two ladies showing up at the party in the same $4000 dress. Nothing robs you of the splendor of your Pferrari like another one right next to it.
Never thought of it that way but yeah I think you nailed it!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
There are so many Porsches that it really isn't terribly special or unique in any way to se a 911. There may have been a time when crossing paths with another 911 was a wow moment and worthy of celebration/acknowledgement, but not, in my experience, anymore.
Exception given for seeing a cool old porsche or a modern one that is unusual, as a sort of hat tip. I will toot or flash or wave at a cool car, that rustles my jimmies, (in a good way)regardless of marque.
Depends where you live. Locally, there aren't an awful lot.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Funny, I just remembered a conversation with one of my brothers about this. He really likes and appreciates cars, but isn't really a gear head / car guy.

He lives in Carmel and I swapped cars with him one week, letting him drive my 997 Targa. So, when we swapped back, after he'd driven up and down Hwy 1 a few times, he asked, "what's up with 911 drivers? A bunch of them waved to me."

He's not unaware, just was uninitiated. Likely the case with many others.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try being British (Larry is of course). We're not an animated bunch and fear rejection.... I get far more waves from courteous driving than from other Porsche owners...

My favourite 'event' recently occurred when a McLaren P1, C4S convertible and my C4S all coincidentally ended up in line.... We didn't use our hands to wave... Our exhausts did that job... But it was obvious we were happy to be together (in a very British kind of way). After a couple of miles we each split off on our own routes... Each with a blip and I'm pretty sure each with a quiet smile...
Old 04-27-2015, 01:43 PM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give a thumbs up to all 911s and always get it back. Maybe thumbs up to a nice Cayman. Never a Cayenne or Panny, though. It's just a different audience.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always do. They usually wave. But some look at me like I am an idiot.......
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I live we flash the lights
Old 11-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rejuvenating an old thread.... Beautiful white 991 with black roof drove past me today at a healthy speed, slowed down, pulled up in front, flashed his / her hazards and drove on. Made me feel good all day. I'm simple like that.
The following users liked this post:
bornhs (08-12-2022)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Rejuvenating an old thread.... Beautiful white 991 with black roof drove past me today at a healthy speed, slowed down, pulled up in front, flashed his / her hazards and drove on. Made me feel good all day. I'm simple like that.
Nice!! The Cayenne and Macan's of the world never pay attention. Pulled up next to a Cayenne on a few different occasions, driver never even looked over. Quite bizarre.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

In Atlanta, I've witnessed a wave like twice in the past five years. It's not unusual for three 911s to appear at the same stoplight. I don't wave and I don't expect waves. Pretty sure everyone else around here has the same perspective.

That said, if I have personal contact with another Porsche sports car driver in a parking garage or gas station, then there's a brief hello or compliment. But not on the road.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Nice!! The Cayenne and Macan's of the world never pay attention. Pulled up next to a Cayenne on a few different occasions, driver never even looked over. Quite bizarre.
nothing bizarre about it. They don't give a **** about your car, just like they wouldn't care about a miata or a bmw next to them. What they drive doesn't matter.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Always wave to someone in any p-car except a Cayenne, Macan or Panamera. And in those cases it's not because I'm being a snob but because I figure that odds are extremely high that I'll confuse, frustrate or scare them. (this happens with enough regularity in other parts of my life that I figure I shouldn't cultivate one or all of those reactions when I'm behind the wheel)
Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Try being British (Larry is of course). We're not an animated bunch and fear rejection.... I get far more waves from courteous driving than from other Porsche owners...

My favourite 'event' recently occurred when a McLaren P1, C4S convertible and my C4S all coincidentally ended up in line.... We didn't use our hands to wave... Our exhausts did that job... But it was obvious we were happy to be together (in a very British kind of way). After a couple of miles we each split off on our own routes... Each with a blip and I'm pretty sure each with a quiet smile...
I always wave (maybe its because of the Scottish thing) and I also acknowledge courteous driving ... I wish MORE people did that ... its a pet
peeve, I stop to let someone by on a narrow street, or I let someone pull
out into traffic, more often than not I get f*** all ...

Its official I'm a grumpy old man!

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Always wave to someone in any p-car except a Cayenne, Macan or Panamera. And in those cases it's not because I'm being a snob but because I figure that odds are extremely high that I'll confuse, frustrate or scare them. (this happens with enough regularity in other parts of my life that I figure I shouldn't cultivate one or all of those reactions when I'm behind the wheel)
ditto
Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 183 Likes on 98 Posts

On my maiden drive back home on PCH I was lucky enough to be initiated by a flashing light 911. (No there was no cop) I then paid it forward and got responses from 50% of 911 drivers. Didn't bother with the top heavy Pcars.

Quick Reply: The porsche 'wave'