Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The porsche 'wave'

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah I'm not sure it'd be quite the same feeling if it was the car flashing the lights instead of the driver. Maybe they could tweak the parking and cruise control to alert the driver to nearby Porsches, and if they don't respond deliver a little electric shock. Just a little one. But then you get into the whole philosophy of in order to be a good person you must do that which is only good when done voluntarily.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:30 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 206 Posts

yup...but rarely to pannys and never to cayennes
Old 04-21-2015, 04:31 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Surely its okay to wave to a Cayenne GTS? I mean, its a GTS!
The following users liked this post:
Rischey (08-06-2022)
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I give the wave or flash to all of them except Cayennes, Macans and Panameras - because the people driving those cars generally don't have a ****ing clue.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I do it as a matter of course in my Wrangler -- enormous response rate, even amongst moms in 4-doors. But it's been a lot of years since Porsche drivers weren't too cool for school. I stopped in the early 2000s after blank stares became the normal response.

Exceptions: Porsches (even wasserpumpers) with some obvious mod. Wave response is huge with these. And anything aircooled will still wave. But that's only because these are almost all "hobby" cars now rather than "people trying to look cool in their Porsh" cars. And I'm certainly not saying that all modern Porsche drivers are that; but there's so many of them that waving becomes a low-odds crap shoot.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

There are so many Porsches that it really isn't terribly special or unique in any way to se a 911. There may have been a time when crossing paths with another 911 was a wow moment and worthy of celebration/acknowledgement, but not, in my experience, anymore.
Exception given for seeing a cool old porsche or a modern one that is unusual, as a sort of hat tip. I will toot or flash or wave at a cool car, that rustles my jimmies, (in a good way)regardless of marque.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

I always give a courtesy wave, however the return rate varies. Typically soccer moms in Cayennes don't respond. However Panameras and 911s are pretty good at returning the favor. The only Boxsters around here are pretty much beaters, usually not much response.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:32 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Air cooled cars generally wave back... others, not so much.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Yeah, we are the guardians of the greeting.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people in jeeps wave at each other?? really????

I always give a wave to any Porsche. Sometimes I get it back, sometimes I don't, most often I don't notice. I had a guy in a Cayenne beat me to it the other day.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by zathras
people in jeeps wave at each other?? really????
Not "Jeeps." "Wranglers." And yes, more than any other vehicle I've owned, many of which have fairly enthusiastic followings. And by "more" I mean "an order or two of magnitude more."
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Not "Wranglers." "Jeeps!"At least, according to the definitive Jeep Wave Guide. (Yes they have a Guide!)

http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php

The Jeep Wave: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:
Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod
Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always give a wave / flash. Some folks I've seen more than once in my neighborhood don't even show a sign of acknowledgement. Some folks who clearly enjoy, or even know, what car they are driving wave back.

Annoyance today was when I backed off and left a nice gap for a cayman to merge, not even a friendly wave through the back window once in front of me.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

I've seen 911's speed up to prevent merging, actually going out of their way to be rude when you'd think it'd be the opposite. Probably the worst though was one guy in a beautiful Ferrari, been a while so I forget the model. Beautiful sunny day, when down the ramp comes another Ferrari. Two shiny Ferrari's, one gleaming Porsche, both of the Ferrari guys doing an absolutely perfect job of ignoring everything around them. After a while it was like a game, me just knowing at some point one was going to give some subtle gesture of acknowledgement to the other. But no. They drove exactly side by side, me right behind them, a very long time, just staring stoic as hell straight ahead. After a while I actually felt sorry for them.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuck911
Not "Wranglers." "Jeeps!"At least, according to the definitive Jeep Wave Guide. (Yes they have a Guide!)

http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php

The Jeep Wave: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:
Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod

Nope. Not even close. Yes, it's called the Jeep Wave, but it has but one application. The reason it's called The Jeep Wave, is because those of us who use it only recognize the existence of one Jeep.

Try waving at any Jeep other than a Wrangler/CJ. A few XJ Cherokees will wave back, but they're all driven by highschoolers now. Being as how I also have a newish Grand Cherokee, I can assure you any waving at a fellow driver of same would be greeted with a call to the private security forces that protect the manicured grounds behind our gated perimeter.

But Wrangler drivers employ The Wave across all racial, gender, age, socioeconomic and educational barriers.
The following users liked this post:
bornhs (08-12-2022)

Quick Reply: The porsche 'wave'