Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Ya . . . ED . . . let's see . . .
Unrestricted autobahn - Check
Nurnburgring - Check
Engine Break-in Period - Really? Ya gotta be kidding me!
The proper break-in period is serious as a heart attack. Its 200 miles, give or take, and requires as much WOT as you can possibly manage. And by WOT I don't mean to just 4000 RPM either.

Did you read the ED thread a while back where the factory guy totally let the cat out of the bag on the whole baby it myth? "For our American customers we must say" he said, "for everyone else careful while cold then flat out!"
Old 04-17-2015, 07:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The proper break-in period is serious as a heart attack. Its 200 miles, give or take, and requires as much WOT as you can possibly manage. And by WOT I don't mean to just 4000 RPM either.

Did you read the ED thread a while back where the factory guy totally let the cat out of the bag on the whole baby it myth? "For our American customers we must say" he said, "for everyone else careful while cold then flat out!"
Chuck, remind us all again how you broke in your new 991 motor??

What year was it that you last drove and owned a new 911? How did you break in that motor?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Chuck, remind us all again how you broke in your new 991 motor?? What year was it that you last drove and owned a new 911? How did you break in that motor?
Now, now . . . Chuck is one of our most knowledgeable and articulate members. Yes, he's one of the most controversial and wrong-headed members as well, but what the hey, it's rare to get the good without a little of the bad.

Let's show a little love and talk some more about guns.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuck911
Ya, I LOVED that!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:53 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

But with the top down, cruising in 6th at highway speeds, all I hear is a very loud, monotonous droning sound.
Let's see....PSE is on, so your probably driving in sport/sport+ mode going 55 mph in the EPA 6th gear. No wonder you are hearing droning, the poor engine hates 1500 rpm Try putting a piece of duct tape across the shift console to prevent pushing the stick to the right that much?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:34 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Isn't that the beauty of PSE - you can turn it off when you so chose.

The only time I turn PSE off is when truly cruising on the highway with the family (top up).
Yup - 991 C2s cab/PDK and either sport/auto or sport+/"manual" and PSE on except when in my small neighborhood or getting from point A to point B on the Interstate. When I'm in "GT Mode" I want quiet. All other times - let 'er rip!
Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trysixty
Let's see....PSE is on, so your probably driving in sport/sport+ mode going 55 mph in the EPA 6th gear. No wonder you are hearing droning, the poor engine hates 1500 rpm Try putting a piece of duct tape across the shift console to prevent pushing the stick to the right that much?
Oh if only my contributions to state coffers, insurance companies and safe driver training was for driving 55 mph at 1500 rpm . . .

Old 04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't like the sound of the PSE when I'm on the highway with the top down. ...The pitch is pretty unpleasant and I find that I'm turning the PSE off to eliminate its annoyance.
I guess I don't get your commentary, hinckley. PSE is a switch-selectable system. If they thought everybody would want it to sound loud all the time, it would just be called PLE (Porsche Loud Exhaust). But it has a button precisely so you can push it when you want loud, and push it again (or don't push it in the first place) when you want quiet. If "quiet" solves your problem (whenever that might be happening) then the system has worked perfectly. If, on the other hand, Porsche were to redesign the system so it had the right baffling or whatever needed to eliminate anyone ever having drone or loudness issues, whether the button was pushed or not, then
a) it probably wouldn't sound nearly as good when you want it sounding loud, and
b) why have a button at all? Everyone would just always leave it on.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:57 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I guess I don't get your commentary, hinckley.
Well, maybe I can help out . . . I had PSE on my two Targas and would sometimes turn it off to reduce the great sounding exhaust's volume if I was in a situation where it may disturb someone (i.e. my quiet neighborhood late at night). But with my Cab, I find I'm turning the PSE off when cruising on the highway because it doesn't sound great. It sometimes sounds a bit annoying. I was simply surprised by this.

I'm glad I've got PSE. It sounds great most of the time. But I'm also surprised that there are times when it doesn't sound great, and for that there's the on/off switch as you point out.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:49 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found I drive with sport mode/pse off most of the time. And having the top up or down is not a factor.

The reasons I turn on the Sport mode are, in order:
a) keep the autostop feature from kicking in in stop-n-go traffic
b) change the gearing for more aggressive driving
c) make it louder

I realize there are separate buttons to do a) and c), but I rarely use them- it's just simple to hit the sport mode and take care of it all at once.

Most of my driving is on the highway (65 mile rt commute) and I need neither the sport mode nor the loudness when I'm cruising along at 70-80.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I didn't know that. Great Rennlist feedback. Thanks!
Just confirmed w my dealer service manager and what I was pretty certain of: Cabs do have a symposer. All 991 cars do!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Just confirmed w my dealer service manager and what I was pretty certain of: Cabs do have a symposer. All 991 cars do!
That's what I thought, too. I can definitely hear mine turn on and off with the PSE switch. Only when top is closed.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I may be a bit confused, however, on my base coupe non-PSE car the symposer would come on when I pushed the Sport button - ie wasn't PSE related.

In my new cab with PSE, I was playing around with combinations of Sport and PSE buttons. I had always assumed the slight drone at freeway speed was the symposer, but the loudest impact is from the PSE. I had just never turned PSE off by itself before (with Sport still on).

Quick Reply: PSE and Cabs