Sponsored by:

991.2 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 991.2 Engine

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115033091394/2016-porsche-911-carrera-to-have-a-27-liter-turbo

Not sure if this counts as confirmed.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Here it is hyperlinked:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503309...27-liter-turbo
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

To bad they didn't publish the weight too. 400 hp from the entry level 911 is great if weight can be kept under 3350 lbs. Most likely the Achilles heel of the new lineup.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I am curious about torque numbers

If torque is what you feel , then both the current 3.4 and 3.8 cars in 911 make their power and torque in higher rpms

S is relatively troquier than non S but not a big difference

I think anything about 375 lb ft of toqrue is readily noticeable bur then is more torque at lower rpms more enjoyable ?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

its the age old track vs street compromise ....a lunging fat tq peak at lower rpm feels great on the boulevard or freeway gran prix , but a linear power delivery to a high redline allows one significantly more control of a car's cornering attitude via the throttle peddle's much wider range of movement ,esp for amateur weekend track rats where cornering is the fun part , not WOT after straightening out as that is the moment you are not even aware of as you are already staring at and mentally planning the approach for the next turn ahead
Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
its the age old track vs street compromise ....a lunging fat tq peak at lower rpm feels great on the boulevard or freeway gran prix , but a linear power delivery to a high redline allows one significantly more control of a car's cornering attitude via the throttle pedals much wider range of movement ,esp for amateur weekend track rats where cornering is the fun part , not WOT after straightening out as that is the moment you are not even aware of as you are already staring at and mentally planning the approach for the next turn ahead
A breath of fresh air. Thanks!

fwiw if the 991 is 400 then it sounds like the 991S will be about 450, which if I recall exactly matches one of the early predictions- which nobody believed because nobody thought Porsche would ever bump a 911 so much at once. Personally, I think Porsche will work their engineering magic on throttle and turbo mapping and come up with something equivalent to what they did with electric steering- not the same exactly, but so good there's hardly anything left for anyone to complain about.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:49 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
its the age old track vs street compromise ....a lunging fat tq peak at lower rpm feels great on the boulevard or freeway gran prix , but a linear power delivery to a high redline allows one significantly more control of a car's cornering attitude via the throttle peddle's much wider range of movement ,esp for amateur weekend track rats where cornering is the fun part , not WOT after straightening out as that is the moment you are not even aware of as you are already staring at and mentally planning the approach for the next turn ahead

Agreed! Good post.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
sc8526
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confession - for the past several years I've been reading stories here of dreaded turbo lag and all the alleged atrocities that come with boosted engines. Heck, maybe I'd even come to believe it based on my previous experience behind the wheel of turbo cars. So....

Last weekend I finally got behind the wheel of a MY14 Turbo S. Guess what I didn't feel? I decided then that maybe, just maybe - well engineered turbo design has come a bit further than any old Merkur XR4Ti that is being used as one's basis of comparison. Compared to the car in my garage, the TS didn't show even a hint of hesitation. Chalk that up to my turbo-rage blindness, or perhaps the fact that we're dealing with a pretty stout power plant before throwing and handful of parts at its exhaust/intake system. And perhaps the biggest shocker - when I grabbed some high rev downshifts or blipped the throttle before placing into gear, I heard a very satisfying snap/crackle/pop that we all have come to love in our NA cars. Surely not from a boosted car? Say it ain't so!

End game for me was this. Be mindful of what you perceive as truth until you can fact check it yourself. If Porsche sends us a 2017 that is even close to what I experienced Saturday, then sign me up.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
http://www.worldcarfans.com/115033091394/2016-porsche-911-carrera-to-have-a-27-liter-turbo

Not sure if this counts as confirmed.
Here is the C&R article:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/turbo-e...rrera-in-2016/
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc8526
Confession - for the past several years I've been reading stories here of dreaded turbo lag and all the alleged atrocities that come with boosted engines. Heck, maybe I'd even come to believe it based on my previous experience behind the wheel of turbo cars. So....

Last weekend I finally got behind the wheel of a MY14 Turbo S. Guess what I didn't feel? I decided then that maybe, just maybe - well engineered turbo design has come a bit further than any old Merkur XR4Ti that is being used as one's basis of comparison. Compared to the car in my garage, the TS didn't show even a hint of hesitation. Chalk that up to my turbo-rage blindness, or perhaps the fact that we're dealing with a pretty stout power plant before throwing and handful of parts at its exhaust/intake system. And perhaps the biggest shocker - when I grabbed some high rev downshifts or blipped the throttle before placing into gear, I heard a very satisfying snap/crackle/pop that we all have come to love in our NA cars. Surely not from a boosted car? Say it ain't so!

End game for me was this. Be mindful of what you perceive as truth until you can fact check it yourself. If Porsche sends us a 2017 that is even close to what I experienced Saturday, then sign me up.
How can you compare a $200K 3.8L TT to a $100K 2.xL Turbo?
They will be quite different.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Engine