Sponsored by:

GTS @ Buttonwillow Raceway C13

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts
Default GTS @ Buttonwillow Raceway C13

Just went to Buttonwillow with Speed District. Car is awesome and tons of fun. Only got 2 sessions as I hit curbing too hard and blew a tire. Started shaving time with my girl in the car on the 2nd session and thats when I blew the tire...so should def cut some more time.

Car is all stock, on the pirelli p zero 240tw tires it comes on

Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I see you have the new heads-up g-meter on yours.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
I see you have the new heads-up g-meter on yours.
girlfriend, insists i keep it up! good luck mumbo jumbo...but as you said, cheap G meter lol

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 06-25-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Do yourself a favor- no more "Speed District" events. Get yourself to a nice proper PCA Driver Ed. Just do it.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Chuck, I think there's an "S" version of the new head's-up g-meter. The kit includes multiple length lanyards, all of which can be attached to the heavier "steelie" marble end gong. What looks to be a simple hang-over type mirror connection is actually a gimbal type of simple gyroscope. This enables accelerometer and decelerometer movements in addition to the base model's side-to-side g-force measurements. Utilization of the appropriate length lanyard enables this new "s" model to swing the "steelie" (right corner mode) in a perfect arc left and to the rear as you hit the apex, accelerate hard and track out perfectly. If the "steelie" whacks you in the helmet just as you pass the track-out cone you've done well. Works the same in left corner mode, as long as you have a passenger.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Do yourself a favor- no more "Speed District" events. Get yourself to a nice proper PCA Driver Ed. Just do it.
I haven't done a PCA but one of my best friends is starting to instruct for Porsche North America. Another has won several Time Attack Events and broken several track records....we go out on track all the time together, in fact I got the Porsche Instructor started

Speed District is an open track day thats fun....I hear from many guys who've gone that PCA is a bunch of uptight A-holes with regulations up the ***. Doesn't sound fun to me. My buddy said "PCA is for old slow f¥cks that don't mingle well with others".
One of the instructors with Speed District is a professional driver who's ridden with me several times and vice versa

If you have specific input, say so...im not closed to criticism but I'm assuming you're saying there is something wrong with my driving (which i know isn't perfect, coming from FR cars, this is my first time tracking a P car). The lap time is very respectable if you know the track though

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 03-29-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Chuck, I think there's an "S" version of the new head's-up g-meter. The kit includes multiple length lanyards, all of which can be attached to the heavier "steelie" marble end gong. What looks to be a simple hang-over type mirror connection is actually a gimbal type of simple gyroscope. This enables accelerometer and decelerometer movements in addition to the base model's side-to-side g-force measurements. Utilization of the appropriate length lanyard enables this new "s" model to swing the "steelie" (right corner mode) in a perfect arc left and to the rear as you hit the apex, accelerate hard and track out perfectly. If the "steelie" whacks you in the helmet just as you pass the track-out cone you've done well. Works the same in left corner mode, as long as you have a passenger.

its pretty short, i wouldn't stress...I love the sarcasm though!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a baby pair of boxing gloves on my rear view. They are 100 years old. They were given at the birth of my grandfather.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You were definetly atacking that track hard. That is an excellent time, especially for a stock tires and brakes.

How did the brakes hold up?
Did they ever start to get a little spongy?
Was the pad wear OK?

Did the rear tires get greasy?
I have a feeling the PZero might take heat better than PSS.

Just wondering on above as I have not run BW in the 991 yet.
At Chuckawalla I had to manage the rear [PSS] tires, but the brakes did fine, although they did soften a little bit.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Big ups for MT!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:55 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lunarx
You were definetly atacking that track hard. That is an excellent time, especially for a stock tires and brakes.

How did the brakes hold up?
Did they ever start to get a little spongy?
Was the pad wear OK?

Did the rear tires get greasy?
I have a feeling the PZero might take heat better than PSS.

Just wondering on above as I have not run BW in the 991 yet.
At Chuckawalla I had to manage the rear [PSS] tires, but the brakes did fine, although they did soften a little bit.
Thank you. Brake surprisingly held up well. Really thought I would get fade after a few laps but did pretty well but I usually throw in a cool down lap every 4-5 laps to let the tires, brakes and myself take a min to reflect on my driving.

I was very surprised by the tires. Seemed better than the PSS I drove in a long time ago in another car. Grip is ok but since the car excels at braking and accelerating it felt great at BW. But compared to my ZR1 on ps cup 2 you can really see the lack of grip on the sweepers/longer turns. Will prob go with Rs3 or PS cup 2 next. I think brake/pad weakness will show more with some stickier tires as well. To be discovered

Here's my stock Zr1 on PS Cup 2 to compare turn speeds, heres a 1:56 and video below a 1:53 on some old hoosiers a friend lent me

Old 03-30-2015, 03:19 AM
hoppah
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Ukranian girlfriend, insists i keep it up! good luck mumbo jumbo..."

"I hit curbing too hard and blew a tire."

What kind of luck did she say it conveyed?

Love the bizarre red alien peering at you from your wiper blades. Don't tell me, you have a cat bobblehead in the back window...

H.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That was cool to watch...thanks for sharing!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not knowing anything about tracking a street car I have a question...

Is it normal to hear the tires squealing in protest at every single corner? Does that mean the car is going a quickly as possible?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That software is really cool. What's it called and what do you pair it with camera wise?

Quick Reply: GTS @ Buttonwillow Raceway C13