Sponsored by:

GTS @ Buttonwillow Raceway C13

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
Not knowing anything about tracking a street car I have a question...

Is it normal to hear the tires squealing in protest at every single corner? Does that mean the car is going a quickly as possible?
Street tires will typically squeal at the limit. That's why its typically recommended to learn on a street tires, lots of feedback like noise and lower grip levels so lower speeds. Typically the more grippy a tire the less audible feedback and tire has a smaller peak grip patch, will let go quicker as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunty
That software is really cool. What's it called and what do you pair it with camera wise?

Harry's Lap Timer Uses your phone camera. Very easy to use
Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Street tires will typically squeal at the limit. That's why its typically recommended to learn on a street tires, lots of feedback like noise and lower grip levels so lower speeds. Typically the more grippy a tire the less audible feedback and tire has a smaller peak grip patch, will let go quicker as well.
Yup. The reason cup tires are dangerous for a novice, no audible warning... grip, grip, grip, and then none. Been there and ate a huge piece of humble pie when I went into the kitty litter.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoppah
"Ukranian girlfriend, insists i keep it up! good luck mumbo jumbo..."

"I hit curbing too hard and blew a tire."

What kind of luck did she say it conveyed?

Love the bizarre red alien peering at you from your wiper blades. Don't tell me, you have a cat bobblehead in the back window...

H.
Ha. Could of been worse. Bent rim...who knows. I see worse all the time. I say good luck! And it's a goat

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 03-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That vette looked real planted on track, but the videos were less entertaining without seeing all activity in the drivers cabin.

So what curb was it that took out your tire?
Was the curb broken and sharp edged?
Was it the backside of a curb, that had too much drop-off, from improper grading?
Curbing is not normally a problem, when a track is maintained properly.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

^ they actually repaved the track last year. It's very smooth but I guess I didn't realize the separation between candy stripes and track in one spot under braking and bump! Side wall cracked. Otherwise very smooth. Happened at turn bus stop

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 03-30-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:16 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Ukranian girlfriend...
POIDH. You can PM me if you want.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
You were definetly atacking that track hard. That is an excellent time, especially for a stock tires and brakes.

How did the brakes hold up?
Did they ever start to get a little spongy?
Was the pad wear OK?

Did the rear tires get greasy?
I have a feeling the PZero might take heat better than PSS.

Just wondering on above as I have not run BW in the 991 yet.
At Chuckawalla I had to manage the rear [PSS] tires, but the brakes did fine, although they did soften a little bit.
I'd be very surprised if that was the case, the MPSS has very sophisticated heat mgmt technology that is newer the PZero designs
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM
speeddistrict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd be very surprised if that was the case, the MPSS has very sophisticated heat mgmt technology that is newer the PZero designs
Your car is a beauty!!

Great driving Sam
Old 03-31-2015, 06:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't done a PCA but one of my best friends is starting to instruct for Porsche North America. Another has won several Time Attack Events and broken several track records....we go out on track all the time together, in fact I got the Porsche Instructor started

Speed District is an open track day thats fun....I hear from many guys who've gone that PCA is a bunch of uptight A-holes with regulations up the ***. Doesn't sound fun to me. My buddy said "PCA is for old slow f¥cks that don't mingle well with others".
One of the instructors with Speed District is a professional driver who's ridden with me several times and vice versa

If you have specific input, say so...im not closed to criticism but I'm assuming you're saying there is something wrong with my driving (which i know isn't perfect, coming from FR cars, this is my first time tracking a P car). The lap time is very respectable if you know the track though
You're probably right. A typical PCA Driver Ed event is chock full of rules. They'll be all over you, making you ride with an instructor who will insist on teaching you things like driving the line and hitting your apexes with precision. They'll go all over your car making you remove anything loose and dangly that might interfere with your ability to safely control the car. They won't make you wear Nomex, but they won't let you on the track in tank top and shorts either. Joyriding girlfriends? Not on your life. They are such A-holes, they won't even care when you tell them she's Ukrainian!

But, if you do ever change your mind from being "not closed to criticism" to actively seeking to learn, then my specific input is to start with PCA Driver Skills, and autocross, and then progress to PCA Driver Ed, as those are your highest value options in most parts of the country.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by hawc
Not knowing anything about tracking a street car I have a question...

Is it normal to hear the tires squealing in protest at every single corner? Does that mean the car is going a quickly as possible?
Pretty much. As Bob Bondurant says, "A squealing tire is a happy tire." The normal progression is from scrubbing where the tire is just beginning to work hard, to squealing which is maximum traction with the tire sliding a little, to howling when the tire is pushed well beyond its limit into skidding or sliding. Its easy to experience scrubbing in a 911, simply turn the wheel full lock and drive around, you don't have to go fast, a steering geometry feature called caster angle will cause one front wheel to scrub.

A nice even squeal is what you want. No howling. Not unless you got the chops to be hooning around like Chris Harris, anyways.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
You're probably right. A typical PCA Driver Ed event is chock full of rules. They'll be all over you, making you ride with an instructor who will insist on teaching you things like driving the line and hitting your apexes with precision. They'll go all over your car making you remove anything loose and dangly that might interfere with your ability to safely control the car. They won't make you wear Nomex, but they won't let you on the track in tank top and shorts either. Joyriding girlfriends? Not on your life. They are such A-holes, they won't even care when you tell them she's Ukrainian!

But, if you do ever change your mind from being "not closed to criticism" to actively seeking to learn, then my specific input is to start with PCA Driver Skills, and autocross, and then progress to PCA Driver Ed, as those are your highest value options in most parts of the country.
I like PCA events, but good job reinforcing his assumption about people who attend them...
That being said, you make it sound like PCA is some superior organization. There are plenty of groups that provide MUCH better track days (BMWCCA, NASA, Chin, etc.)
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes this board gets amazingly grumpy old mannish.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by gbree
I like PCA events, but good job reinforcing his assumption about people who attend them...
That being said, you make it sound like PCA is some superior organization. There are plenty of groups that provide MUCH better track days (BMWCCA, NASA, Chin, etc.)
Its all relative. In this case, compared to an event where they let novices joy ride around with their girlfriends with fuzzy dice hanging off the mirror, with no instruction so they wind up actually driving worse as the day goes along then yes, PCA DE is clearly superior. As for the others, what I know of BMWCCA, which consists of reading their course material and having worked directly with one of their lead instructors, they're the same program!

Indeed, once you set aside what are ultimately minor variations ALL well run driver education programs wind up being pretty much the same. They do after all have to teach the same basic skills. The only really big difference is between all these different educational driver development programs and "open track days" like Speed District which are pure accidents waiting to happen.

Case in point, the OP, who already trashed a wheel and tire. An accident just waiting to happen evidently doesn't have to wait for long at a Speed District event! Is PCA superior? I guess it all depends…. on things like, how important is it that you have fun…. learn something… and are able to drive your car home from the event?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its all relative. In this case, compared to an event where they let novices joy ride around with their girlfriends with fuzzy dice hanging off the mirror, with no instruction so they wind up actually driving worse as the day goes along then yes, PCA DE is clearly superior. As for the others, what I know of BMWCCA, which consists of reading their course material and having worked directly with one of their lead instructors, they're the same program!

Indeed, once you set aside what are ultimately minor variations ALL well run driver education programs wind up being pretty much the same. They do after all have to teach the same basic skills. The only really big difference is between all these different educational driver development programs and "open track days" like Speed District which are pure accidents waiting to happen.

Case in point, the OP, who already trashed a wheel and tire. An accident just waiting to happen evidently doesn't have to wait for long at a Speed District event! Is PCA superior? I guess it all depends…. on things like, how important is it that you have fun…. learn something… and are able to drive your car home from the event?
Not sure how Popping a tire means anything. Things happen on track all the time. It's how you handle them that matters. And you seem to make quite a few assumptions about disasters waiting to happen. Just because of a string I like to leave up (take it easy)!

People are allowed to go to events and have fun. Maybe you've had a different experience but you don't have to make others do what you want.

Speed district has a professional driver there and instructs. And as I've said my friend teaches for Porsche North America, another holds several Time Attack records so I'm not so worried as I've spend hours driving with them.

Open track days will allow passengers. My driving line is pretty on point there. But that track has many options. Not sure if you are familiar with the track Chuck?

Quick Reply: GTS @ Buttonwillow Raceway C13