Sponsored by:

991 S or a 15 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Let him suffer alone. Get the 911S!

If you appreciate the 911 for what it is, it's by far the superior car.

Plus going forward, the preowned 911 has already taken a huge depreciation hit.

The 911 will not depreciate quicker than the new Vette going forward. Dollar wise, the Vette "dude" will lose more $$$
Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

If I merely wanted to go fast, I'd buy a Chevy. (It kills me to say that!)

But I wanted a car that becomes part of my life. A keeper. Any time I see any 911 of any era, I smile. Have they aged? But of course. But IMHO they age very, very well.

I like the driving experience. A strong, vivid experience will endear the car to me and it will become part of my life. I'm paying the Porsche premium for that. I'm getting a manual transmission for that.

You need to decide what you want to buy. Cheap and fast? Bow tie. Timeless? 911. Some Corvettes do age well... but they all seem to have been produced before 1972.

Decide what you want and the car choice becomes simple.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
If I merely wanted to go fast, I'd buy a Chevy. (It kills me to say that!)

But I wanted a car that becomes part of my life. A keeper. Any time I see any 911 of any era, I smile. Have they aged? But of course. But IMHO they age very, very well.

I like the driving experience. A strong, vivid experience will endear the car to me and it will become part of my life. I'm paying the Porsche premium for that. I'm getting a manual transmission for that.

You need to decide what you want to buy. Cheap and fast? Bow tie. Timeless? 911. Some Corvettes do age well... but they all seem to have been produced before 1972.

Decide what you want and the car choice becomes simple.
Don't think I could have said it better myself.

I have a lot of respect for the Vette, but I just don't consider myself a "Vette" type of guy,....I know that may sound biased, prejudiced, or whatever you may want to call it,....but it doesn't speak to me, where a 911 does to the core. I like the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it performs with finesse not brute force. I like the rarity of it compared to the Vette which around here there are hundreds of them.

Anyone today can buy a "fast" car, there are dozens of them out there. You have to decide what you would rather "own".
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

The two cars are quite different in focus imo. Only you can really decide what's more important to you but perhaps this video can help. (I know this isn't the Z06 but both the base C7 and Z06 will be faster in terms of pure horsepower so I think Chris Harris' review on the "feel" still applies)

Last edited by scorcherjf; 03-18-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, you can't expect unbiased replies on here. Most will blindly vote P-car. Go to corvettefourm and ask the same thing and their members will all vote 'vette. I think a big part of your decision is what you want to do with the car....
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Default vette or 911

I had a zo6. corner to corner i went as fast as it could go. But it was not very well built and after a year lots of rattles showed up, my T-top blew off on the interstate ( big problem), and I hated the run flat tires. Back to the P car.

It is wicked fast. That's about all I can saw about that chevy.

When I ride some roads in North Alabama, my porsche always feels like it is glued in a track, and curvy is what I like to drive. And you cannot, even with some on Porsche's Bungles, argue with design and build quality in concert with drivability.

G
Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by shandyman5
LOL, you can't expect unbiased replies on here. Most will blindly vote P-car. Go to corvettefourm and ask the same thing and their members will all vote 'vette....
THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

My zwei pfennig:

Having owned numerous 911s and Vettes, I came to the conclusion that it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than a faster car fast.

In essence, I could never get the full power down in my Z06s and ZR1, while I can keep the 911 under control in most situations.

They are both iconic designs/cars with passionate owners and great motorsport histories. Pick your poison.

I only left the P-Car shortly after 9/11 (no pun intended), to embrace my Americanism...

It took me almost fourteen years to go back to the big P... I know I will come back to a Vette again (new Z06 is a monster), but this time I'll have one of each in my garage.

Cheers/BB
Old 03-18-2015, 11:00 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by shandyman5
LOL, you can't expect unbiased replies on here. Most will blindly vote P-car. Go to corvettefourm and ask the same thing and their members will all vote 'vette. I think a big part of your decision is what you want to do with the car....
True, but start with the same sentence "I always wanted a 911."
I think that's the key sentence. Corvette is a great car, but if you've ALWAYS wanted a 911 & your finances are in order, I think you owe it to yourself to get one. If it turns out that it wasn't really your heart's desire, trade it in and buy a Vette. Jm2c....T
Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikegee
I had a zo6. corner to corner i went as fast as it could go. But it was not very well built and after a year lots of rattles showed up, my T-top blew off on the interstate ( big problem), and I hated the run flat tires. Back to the P car.

It is wicked fast. That's about all I can saw about that chevy.

When I ride some roads in North Alabama, my porsche always feels like it is glued in a track, and curvy is what I like to drive. And you cannot, even with some on Porsche's Bungles, argue with design and build quality in concert with drivability.

G
Not trying to call you out rather looking for more detail.... I fail to understand how you can question the quality of a C7Z when they haven't been out for over a year, so that must default your argument to your owning a C6Z which isn't even in the equation for what is being compared. Lastly, you claim your t-tops
blew off, but a Corvette has not had t-tops since the C3. If you're talking about a removable roof, then a Corvette Z06 has never had a removable roof until the C7. Something doesn't smell right.... just saying.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Still restless
Instructor

I had to make the same decision before going with the GTS. I know the ZO6 has better numbers, but I decided it was not about that. I'm passed the point of needing to drag race someone from a light. How the car will be driven on public roads is more relevant. In the end, I thought about how I'd feel owning/driving the ZO6 vs. a 911 for years to come; it all then became very clear.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:25 PM
gusp
Instructor

I bought a CPO 991 S like you describe. The idea of swapping it for a '15 Z06 feels like a downgrade. Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:29 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by trysixty

This picture is hilarious.
I'd choose the mature Rubenesque one. I'm not into skinny-minnies.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
This picture is hilarious. I'd choose the mature Rubenesque one. I'm not into skinny-minnies.
Good, that way we won't be fighting who gets what!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
I always wanted a 911. I'm about to pull the trigger. A friend of mine just bought a 15 z06. I won't lie. It seems for 85 it's pretty loaded and gorgeous. I would have to get s used 991S for that price and def not with all the standard equipment. Please help. Lol
I owned a new 2000 C5 and later a new 2006 C6 for a total of 15 years before I pulled the trigger on a used 991 C2S. I had never had a Porsche and wanted to see what it was like. I loved Vettes and I did not take leaving the brand lightly.

I looked hard at the new C7 when it came out. I went to Corvettes at Carlisle and sat in about eight or nine of them when they first came out. I loved it and wanted one very badly. But when I did the math - a new Vette, loaded, was in used 911 territory and I had always wanted to experience what it was like to own one.

I found a two year old 991 C2S that was pretty loaded with the options that I wanted with only 7200 miles on it and two years left on the factory warranty for close to what I would have paid for a loaded Stingray (and not too far from a decently optioned Z06). I have no regrets. I loved and still have great fondness for Corvettes but the Porsche experience is very different. It's a beautiful car, the driving feels so precise, and the fit and finish is far better than the Vette (even the C7). (The two rear seats are a great bonus for me - I take my kids out in it all the time, even picking them up from school in it.)

The Z06 is very, very impressive, no doubt at all. If you have never owned a Vette, it would be an extremely tough decision. In either case, I am sure that you would have a blast with either one. Now that I've said that, I realize that I have probably not helped your decision at all hahaha!

Quick Reply: 991 S or a 15 Z06