Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you/do you regret having NO sunroof in your 991 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Like a sunroof? Get a sunroof.
I’m not sure where you think you’re posting on but this is Rennpost and there is a right answer and a wrong answer to everything! Don’t like the SPASM ride height? Everything about you is wrong for the rest of your life!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

For years I thought a sunroof was only a good thing. Then on my S4 I found I hardly used it for the 5 years I had it. On the 991, I really dislike how the sunroof looks on any color but black (others could have the opposite opinion, it's subjective). But since personally I don't like the look of it I didn't order it.

Haven't regretted it once. Very glad actually as I think the car looks best with body color up above, and I didn't have to pay for it. (and don't have to clean/maintain it, worry about leaks or rattles, etc)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 PM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

On my daily driver, I smoke cigars on long hauls - which is a lot. Tilt the back of the sunroof up and it sucks all the smoke out instantly. You cannot smell the cigar smoke in my car. This is likely not a consideration for most but just sharing my thoughts. Even if I wasn't a cigar person - I like having the fresh air.
I was going to post that I don't like sunroofs and never find a use for them. I have one in my 911 and was thinking I wish I didn't. Now, I'm not so sure - I'll have to try this on my next cigar-worthy drive!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a cab guy so....

On my daily driver, I smoke cigars on long hauls - which is a lot. Tilt the back of the sunroof up and it sucks all the smoke out instantly. You cannot smell the cigar smoke in my car. This is likely not a consideration for most but just sharing my thoughts. Even if I wasn't a cigar person - I like having the fresh air.

If you're tracking (outside of the best option to get another, dedicated car) then maybe but unless someone is paying you for lap times, I'd bet a lot of money you couldn't feel the weight. The weight discussion taking place online is as productive as debating 2 different cars with theoretical planned mods on different drag strips under different conditions.

Like a sunroof? Get a sunroof.
I'm a cigar guy too, but never had an inkling to smoke in the car. Closest I've come would be stopping at an overlook on a mountain drive to have a smoke.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:41 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love fresh air and sun, and I love having a sunroof and use it all the time. 100% of the time I have a choice, I will get the sunroof. The cars I've owned that don't have it, I always wish they did. I never noticed any weight or rigidity or other benefits from not having a sunroof. I had one M3 with a sunroof and exactly the same model with a carbon fiber roof, no difference that any normal person could tell.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:52 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

If you're tracking (outside of the best option to get another, dedicated car) then maybe but unless someone is paying you for lap times, I'd bet a lot of money you couldn't feel the weight.
In the 2017 track season I really felt that I was handicapped by the sunroof weight (in addition to the loss of rigidity); my coach and I agreed w the telemetry results showing that sunroof was indeed slowing me down.

This season I'm trying dropping a few pounds myself to overcome this obstacle.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 PM
HODY905
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Tangerine regarding the black dot that shows with a glass sunroof. Ugly other than on a black car. And when the sunroof is open it looks like someone left a package on the roof of the car. And then there it the rattles and Wright issue of a sunroof. Not a fan as you can tell.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sunroof in a performance car at this level.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Soapman72
No sunroof in a performance car at this level.
Regular Porsches are pretty much just touring cars, so a sunroof makes perfect sense. For the track focused GT cars maybe not, but any S or even GTS is not a particularly hardcore performance car.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Mine is a 997.2, but I'd still miss the sunroof. I've never been a fan of soft tops, I'd prefer a hard top like the Benz SLK series or Ferrari California. Regardless, you have an awesome car on the way. You said your car is PTS? What color? Look forward to seeing pics of it....T
991 is a hard top FYI.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I wish I didn't have a sunroof, as I could use all the headroom I can get (thought thankfully, 911 sunroofs don't take up TOO much headroom otherwise I could only fit in a non-sunroof car), and I like the less weight and extra rigidity.

Though, at the same time, I use my sunroof all the time and love having it, so I'm fine being "stuck" with it, even though ideally I'd rather not have it. I have the steel sunroof, which although lacks the benefit of light coming in from up top with the roof closed, has the benefit of less weight than a glass roof. Also, I love the Aqua Blue so much, I want as much of it on the car as possible, so would rather not have a roof that's comprised of glass and black paint.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Nasty cigar smoke, extra weight and rattles notwithstanding, NO sunroof, NO problem.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:36 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
In the 2017 track season I really felt that I was handicapped by the sunroof weight (in addition to the loss of rigidity); my coach and I agreed w the telemetry results showing that sunroof was indeed slowing me down.

That was just awesome!

I've decided not to roll my car over on track since the glass is so dangerous vs a regular hard top.

However more importantly Wifey likes the sunroof and mine doesn't rattle.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905

The sunroof adds about 60 lb at the worst possible location -- high center of gravity right on top of the roof, not to mention the constant rattles and buzzing sound that jive you in an otherwise solid and stiff chassis.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Had one on my 550i and Panamera - never used either. GTS order is a coupe without, like the clean look of the roof in the color of the car. I’m also tall, so need extra headroom as well.

Last edited by Wimankid; 03-21-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply: Would you/do you regret having NO sunroof in your 991 ?