Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bson
Thanks - got them down to $69K. I'm actually good with guards red over beige.

What's the consensus re: purchasing sight unseen? I know that's quite common here in HFS, but I'm in California and the car is currently being serviced with no photos available. I've been assured it's very clean and it's going through the Porsche CPO inspection, but would love some additional comfort before I dive in.
I was very close to doing so with a car in Dallas. I heard horror stories from a couple individuals with experience doing so. One of them was told the car was pristine, flawless, only to find out the car had many cosmetic flaws that should have been noted. I'd encourage you to seek a fellow enthusiast local to the car to check it out.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
I'd encourage you to seek a fellow enthusiast local to the car to check it out.

Good advice and a PPI.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

What's the consensus re: purchasing sight unseen? I know that's quite common here in HFS, but I'm in California and the car is currently being serviced with no photos available. I've been assured it's very clean and it's going through the Porsche CPO inspection, but would love some additional comfort before I dive in.
I am one who always like to see it in the flesh/steel before I purchase but others have bought sight unseen. It comes down to how much do you trust the seller and how transparent are they. You could always ask for more detailed photos to be sent by the dealer.

My dealer sent me photos of every little blemish he could find. I appreciated this level of transparency. (I also asked for photos of areas that I thought might be of interest due to wear or use - seat bottoms/backs, fenders, wheel wells, etc.) I still went to look at it in person before I bought but this went a long way to make the sale.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 PM
bson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Good advice and a PPI.
Thanks guys. If anyone is local to the Asheville, NC area and could give the car a once over for me, I would repay the favor in spades.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:08 PM
bson
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I am one who always like to see it in the flesh/steel before I purchase but others have bought sight unseen. It comes down to how much do you trust the seller and how transparent are they. You could always ask for more detailed photos to be sent by the dealer.

My dealer sent me photos of every little blemish he could find. I appreciated this level of transparency. (I also asked for photos of areas that I thought might be of interest due to wear or use - seat bottoms/backs, fenders, wheel wells, etc.) I still went to look at it in person before I bought but this went a long way to make the sale.

Good luck!
Thanks, Hurricane. The Sales Associate is going to send me photos of the car once detailed (today, hopefully), and I'm going to wait to deliver all of the final paperwork, etc. until I have a chance to look at those. I wish I could catch a quick flight out to NC, but am much too busy with work at the moment. Hoping there's a generous forum member who has a few minutes to swing by for me - fingers crossed.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 3rd PArty PPI

Pay for a 3rd party PPI that includes pics of any imperfections.

#rd party PPI
Old 01-05-2018, 04:36 PM
bson
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Pay for a 3rd party PPI that includes pics of any imperfections.#rd party PPI
Incidentally, the only outfit I found via the search button doing PPIs in Asheville is Harmony Motors, which is the same Porsche dealership offering the car for sale. Guess I'll hold out for dealer pics and (hopefully) a RennFax, then take it from there.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks, Hurricane. The Sales Associate is going to send me photos of the car once detailed (today, hopefully), and I'm going to wait to deliver all of the final paperwork, etc. until I have a chance to look at those. I wish I could catch a quick flight out to NC, but am much too busy with work at the moment. Hoping there's a generous forum member who has a few minutes to swing by for me - fingers crossed.
Or wait for a local car to pop up, and jump on it when it does. I waited for more than a year as I was unwilling to do a deal sight unseen. I thought a lot about my criteria and must haves. I probably paid a small premium for a car set up almost exactly as I wanted it with very low miles. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM
ericlterps
Track Day

Default Purchasing sight unseen

i had a great experience purchasing sight unseen from a Porsche dealer in Florida. Besides a PPI (which I did not do but it worked out fine for me thankfully), have the salesperson do a Facetime video chat to walk through every inch of the car so you see blemishes, wheels, interior, exterior. Your eye may see things differently than their eye and you can get a feel for the car like this. Just my thoughts. Good luck. Pretty car!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Incidentally, the only outfit I found via the search button doing PPIs in Asheville is Harmony Motors, which is the same Porsche dealership offering the car for sale. Guess I'll hold out for dealer pics and (hopefully) a RennFax, then take it from there.
That car has a deposit on it now. You buy it?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:11 PM
bson
AutoX

Originally Posted by R_Rated
That car has a deposit on it now. You buy it?
Yeah, I put a deposit down at $69K. Also found a few local indys and am setting up a PPI for next week.

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, I put a deposit down at $69K. Also found a few local indys and am setting up a PPI for next week.

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Did you notice in the CarFax that there is no note of a service? Also, unless it’s an error, it appears the car has been driven more than 5k since 12/19/17. Weird
Old 01-05-2018, 07:41 PM
bson
AutoX

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Did you notice in the CarFax that there is no note of a service? Also, unless it’s an error, it appears the car has been driven more than 5k since 12/19/17. Weird
Looks like it was CPO'd by the same dealer at ~7K miles (likely no 10K service), then serviced by the same dealer at ~15K (guessing that's the 10K service). Dealer said they're doing the 20K now as part of the CPO process.

5,000 miles over the last month is weird, though.

Last edited by bson; 01-05-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:33 AM
djrizon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Though not CPO.. Decent deal especially for the Bay Area

2013 991s @44k for $67,000 Decent Build!

http://www.audipaloalto.com/used/Por...4fc14eb201.htm
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like it was CPO'd by the same dealer at ~7K miles (likely no 10K service), then serviced by the same dealer at ~15K (guessing that's the 10K service). Dealer said they're doing the 20K now as part of the CPO process.

5,000 miles over the last month is weird, though.
Should make sure all the 4 year/40k mile service items are also performed as part of CPO (spark plugs for example).

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991