Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero option GTS or decently optioned C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero option GTS or decently optioned C2S?

So I came across a zero option GTS. And I mean zero options. Manual tranny and not a single option except what GTS pkg includes. Sticker of $115K.

I do love the features of the GTS, but are those worth more than a C2S with a few nice options... park assist, rear camera, Bose, PASM, heated seats?

So for around the same sticker price, which is the better way to go?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Standard options on the "zero option" GTS you found are worth way more than the few "decently optioned" items on a C2S. Way more. Plus you get the wide body, something you can't even order on a C2S. In terms of the most desirable performance options its the killer deal in the whole Porsche lineup. Of course you'll have to put up with the manual, and all that Alcantara. On the other hand you may love those features. That's where it gets into your personality. But in terms of just the cars you mentioned and especially in terms of performance options the GTS is the hands-down no-brainer choice.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

If you appreciate the performance and more raw sports car experience, I'd do the GTS.

Better deal.. Better resale.. Probably last NA GTS.

Can't go wrong.

I'm sure looks better with the Sport Design front bumper too than the CS, plus the bundled Powerkit and other options which are discounted as a package deal.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

GTS
Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
If you appreciate the performance and more raw sports car experience, I'd do the GTS.

Better deal.. Better resale.. Probably last NA GTS.

Can't go wrong.

I'm sure looks better with the Sport Design front bumper too than the CS, plus the bundled Powerkit and other options which are discounted as a package deal.
I agree with the reply above..

However, the question for me would be the preference of MT or PDK??
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
So I came across a zero option GTS. And I mean zero options. Manual tranny and not a single option except what GTS pkg includes. Sticker of $115K.

I do love the features of the GTS, but are those worth more than a C2S with a few nice options... park assist, rear camera, Bose, PASM, heated seats?

So for around the same sticker price, which is the better way to go?
I think it "all depends"; if you are looking for a pure sports car performance, and something a little more "unique", the GTS, even a minimally specced car
is the way to go...

If you are looking for something with some "frills" then maybe the better optioned C2S is the way to go...

You dont mention if the C2S is a manual or PDK, and if you have a preference...

The GTS is a more unique car, smaller build numbers, and is a great pkg even in its zero-optioned state ...

ultimately buy the car you want and can afford!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

Pretty much zero option

Manual
Has parking camera.
Sport pasm
Sticker was 118. I listened to stock and Bose back to back. Not much of a difference. But the burmeister, that's phenomenal.

I love it

Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I ordered mine with minimal options. Just PDK, Sport PASM and Aerokit Cup. There is a lot of content in the standard GTS. Did get "no cost" options like std. leather, sport design steering wheel, Carrera S wheels, luggage net, smoking package, brushed aluminum center console trim and interior package. Sticker $124K. I'm going to put my existing OEM GT2 sport bucket drivers seat and BBI roll bar in, clear bra the front end and rocker panels and that's it.
My order locks tomorrow, March 9th. Anyone have an idea how long after lock to go into production? Can't stand the wait!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Pretty much zero option

Manual
Has parking camera.
Sport pasm
Sticker was 118. I listened to stock and Bose back to back. Not much of a difference. But the burmeister, that's phenomenal.
[/URL]
Nice stripper. I also got the base stereo. Bose sounds like crap and not worth even an additional penny; the Burmeister sounds lovely but $5K is just crazy talk.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I would take the GTS, even with minimal options. I took delivery of my GTS about 6 weeks ago, and it is fantastic. As others have said, depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 03-08-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:03 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GTS hands down!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:09 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Nice stripper. I also got the base stereo. Bose sounds like crap and not worth even an additional penny; the Burmeister sounds lovely but $5K is just crazy talk.
Glad someone else realized. I hardly heard a difference. For 2k you can probably get something much better aftermarket but I don't know much about sound systems. My buddy has the burmeister and played some ballad by Adele. Sounded like she was in the back seat singing to me.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:28 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Not to thread-jack, but since we're bashing Bose (the favorite pasttime of all automotive forums the world over):

I have the stock Bose system in my 996TT. It sounds absolutely amazing. I can't get over how good a good source CD sounds, in particular. And besides that, I never turn the thing on anyway -- I love the sound of the motor, the exhaust, the cam timing chains, etc.

But when I do turn it on it sounds outstanding.

So either:

1) my ears are unsophisticated and can't tell good from bad (been a music head and low-level audiophile for 35 years), or
2) Bose didn't suck in the Turbo 13 years ago and now sucks.

Could be either one, but I'm sure hoping for the former because as long as my brain thinks it's hearing good sounds out of that $2000 stereo, I'm good to go!

But mainly I just wanted to be the only person in the history of the internet to not jump on the "Bose is horrible" bandwagon. Sometimes being right isn't even as fun as just being different!

And are you seriously asking GTS vs. S with a few trinkets? I think you've had your answer, but if your budget precludes adding the trinkets to the GTS, give up the trinkets. All kidding aside, as you grow to know the car, I believe the leather options and the stereo options and the electronical doodads here and yon will become just so much antiquated tech in a few short years. But the wide hips, the CL wheels, the 30hp extra, the PSE, PASM, etc. will continue to endear themselves to you.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts

I disagree with the concensus. The GTS is definitely the better track car and the performance upgrades that come standard make it a great bang for the buck car. BUT, if its going to be a daily driver, you're gonna miss some very nice creature comforts and that alcantara interior isn't going to look so nice after a year. Same for the beautiful lowered and painted front end. That lowly Carrera S is only fractionally slower than a GTS but a significantly more versatile car. The key factors I think are PDK vs manual and wide body vs standard width. You can order an S with sport exhaust and sport chrono and many other options for less than the GTS. The power kit to me is a lot of BS - 30 extra HP at the very top of the power band and no extra torque.
And, as a bonus, you will get a better deal on an S than a GTS.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
I disagree with the concensus. The GTS is definitely the better track car and the performance upgrades that come standard make it a great bang for the buck car. BUT, if its going to be a daily driver, you're gonna miss some very nice creature comforts and that alcantara interior isn't going to look so nice after a year. Same for the beautiful lowered and painted front end. That lowly Carrera S is only fractionally slower than a GTS but a significantly more versatile car. The key factors I think are PDK vs manual and wide body vs standard width. You can order an S with sport exhaust and sport chrono and many other options for less than the GTS. The power kit to me is a lot of BS - 30 extra HP at the very top of the power band and no extra torque.
And, as a bonus, you will get a better deal on an S than a GTS.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I generally agree with you but with two exceptions.

First, I went from a 997.1 S to a 997.2 GTS that I ordered w/ no interior comfort options and there are no creature comforts I miss. I mean, anyone who places a lot of value on creature comforts ought to be looking at a Lexus. Even though the 991 is more cushy than my 997.2 you still have to pay attention and drive it (unlike, say, my DD A4 which I should nickname Novacaine b/c, well, I guess that needs no explanation).

Second, well, performance is subjective. On the street what the GTS has over the C2S isn't anything to bother with - but the track is a different story. If a lap around track X takes 100 seconds in a C2S and the GTS can give you five percent better performance, you can do that same lap in 95 seconds. A five percent performance gain - no big deal. Not a big deal until you consider that, all things being equal, in a 30 minute DE session the GTS will be on the tail of the C2S ready to lap it.

Quick Reply: Zero option GTS or decently optioned C2S?